www.flickr.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Carolina, South Africa
I got a Browning Express before last deer season. I wanted to kill an adult 8-point or better with each barrel before killing a doe with it. Our club has a 4-on-one-side rule but we've got good genetics so many if not most yearling bucks meet the club minimum. We got flooded from a hurricane last season and I only killed one deer. It was a two and a half year old that I had already passed up earlier in the season. It's a long story but the gun shoots very good groups but I have to use a 180 grain in the over barrel and a 150 grain in the lower barrel. My dad, son, brother-in-law and I have always used 150 grain corelokt so I settled on a Remington in the under barrel and found the gun shoots well with a 180 grain Nosler ballistic tip in the over barrel.

It sounds made-up but the first time I tried to kill a deer with the under barrel the Remington was a dud. Luckily, all I had to do was cycle the safety to switch the inertia trigger to the over barrel. I dropped the over deer in his tracks.

I've passed up some younger bucks this season waiting on an adult buck to complete the christening of this gun then a nice 8 showed up on one of my trail cameras. He came in the middle of the night, between 10pm and 2am, on September 27, 28 and 29 then again on October 1. I pulled the camera on October 2nd and found the photos. I waited until the new moon and hoped to catch him moving during the daylight. I got in the stand yesterday evening about 5:30 and killed him at 5:40 pm. It was raining and he was heading into an almost impenetrable thicket so I didn't want to take a chance with a blood trail so I took a high shoulder shoot. His front collapsed and he pushed himself a little ways with his hind legs so I used the quick follow-up shot to make sure he didn't get out of my sight. The most visible shot is the follow-up the "nick" on his high shoulder was the bullet from the under barrel.

51555865121_e7909b2272_b.jpg

The over deer from last season...

50638958678_cc7880e1ed_b.jpg

With the christening complete I am free to work on my next whitetail goal...killing my first doe...

Thanks for sharing! Good planning, and shooting!

Nice rifle. Congrats on the deer. Good shooting too!
Bruce

Reactions: CJW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaLondo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!