The Trophy Fee for Cape Buffalo?

mstewart44

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Heading over to Limpopo for plains game in June. The outfitter keeps asking me about my interest in Cape Buffalo. Have seen several ads on this site for buffalo specials but wondering what would be a good price for a cape buff?

This will be my third trip and do have an interest but also have a budget.....

Thanks,

If you have seen the specials you already know what the best trophy fees are in RSA.

$9950 with 7 days hunting was the latest "good price" I have seen.
Can't recall where.

Good price?
Depends what that outfitter wants to let them go for.
I have seen everything from $6500 to $13000 in RSA.

I figure it all goes about what quality is available. I wish I could hunt Buffalo for some of the prices advertised . Good luck on your hunt . I am sure it will be a good one !!!

Thanks Brick, that's quite a range and more along the lines of what I was looking for. The last special I saw on this forum was 10K even all inclusive of daily rate, transfers, etc. I am guessing this is a good deal??? The outfitter sold his buffalo package at the SCI National show for $13,500 all inclusive. Since I have seen the other "specials" advertised here. I'm thinking his price may be kind of high???

As for quality, what should I be looking for? Never considered a buffalo.

Thanks!

Thanks Brick, that's quite a range and more along the lines of what I was looking for. The last special I saw on this forum was 10K even all inclusive of daily rate, transfers, etc. I am guessing this is a good deal??? The outfitter sold his buffalo package at the SCI National show for $13,500 all inclusive. Since I have seen the other "specials" advertised here. I'm thinking his price may be kind of high???

Thanks!

That's a pretty open ended conversation, because alot of places in RSA have a price for one kind of cape buffalo or another. You usually don't show up, go hunting and shoot the cape buffalo you want...unless you have a very open wallet. The older worn down buffalo are the best value out there for the price!

Thanks!

Buffalo trophies are a very personal thing. What is a trophy?

You can see in the survey thread that Jerome put up that people thing the shapes are attractive. Just like Kudu. Big Spirals, Wide, narrow.

Rowland Ward is 42" wide in a straight line. Think Boone and Crocket Whitetail.
This are monsters.

Look at my Avatar. That is a 1/2 inch under Rowland Ward. It is a monster and in my mind the shape I like. It is about the same as the image on the South African ? Rand note.

Look at every picture you can and see what you like.
I passed up a lot of Buffalo before this guy was decided upon. :)

Good luck.

Let's face it, Brickburn you got a darn good cape buffalo on your first hunt. It might take a while to top!

Let's face it, Brickburn you got a darn good cape buffalo on your first hunt. It might take a while to top!

Without a doubt and incredible Buffalo.

Just like Tap, you have to have something to chase after. Have to have a dream. :)

That's a pretty open ended conversation, because alot of places in RSA have a price for one kind of cape buffalo or another. You usually don't show up, go hunting and shoot the cape buffalo you want...unless you have a very open wallet. The older worn down buffalo are the best value out there for the price!

I agree with enysse here.
The quality of the buff and/or the hunt is in the eye of the beholder.

Some like huge bulls that score high in the books, others want special shapes, some just want a very old mature bull and some just want to experience to hunt a buff and don't care about how the bull looks like or they might decide to hunt a buff cow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg