The One That Got Away (From Me)

Not just sad, Per. It was God damned embarrassing.

If it were up to me, every forest office would be equipped with a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.

As a matter of fact, in 1982 ( a year after I had successfully shot the first man eater), I had written a formal letter to the Ministry of Forests requesting each forest office of every forest department across the nation to be equipped with a BRNO ZKK-602 in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum (in order to properly contend with dangerous problem animals). The BRNO ZKK-602 was still being manufactured at that time and it would have been quite affordable to import a consignment of 20 of these rifles for supplying the forest offices. As well as consignments of RWS 300Gr KS soft point cartridges and Remington 300Gr round nosed steel jacketed solid cartridges.

But my request fell on deaf ears. The cheapskate bureaucratic bastards sitting at the air-conditioned Ministry of Forests offices in Dacca apparently knew far more about firearms and hunting dangerous game than actual hunters. They simply told me “There are already enough guns lying around in the local armories. Why would you possibly want us to spend more money and import more ? Any gun can be used for hunting dangerous animals if you can shoot properly”.

How can you possibly expect a guy to reason with people who display this level of ignorance ?

During the British colonial era, the forest guards of the British Imperial Forest Service were issued muzzle loading muskets until 1920 (in order to prevent them from rebelling against the British). From 1920 onwards, they started getting issued with 12 gauge single barrel and double barrel shotguns.

This practice continued well past the independence from the British in 1947 and into the East Pakistani era. Towards the end of the East Pakistani era (1969), the East Pakistan Department of Forests began to issue their forest guards with .303 British Lee Enfield rifles.

After the war in 1971, the various forest departments all across the new nation were still arming their forest guards with the old East Pakistani Lee Enfield rifles in .303 British. It must be remembered that when I first became the DFO of the Sundarban mangrove forests in 1981, the country was less than 10 years old at the time- A 3rd world country that was economically ravaged by the war of 1971 and countless bloody military coups all throughout the 1970s. The nation’s various forest departments were (in all likelihood) the most poorly funded government bodies at the time.

After I became the Chief Conservator of Forests in 1993, I had all the forest departments across the nation equip their forest guards with the Belgian FN FAL self loading rifle in 7.62x51mm NATO and 147Gr full metal jacket military ball ammunition.
The Railroad services here is issued Kongsberg m83 7,62x51 Mausers in crate for some of the routes they take. 1 night i was aboard train. 11 moose crashes, 7 times they shot coup de grace . On 80 miles road.

Polar institute on Svalbard is issued Ruger stainless m77 .308 for Bear protection and allround use.

602 in .375 would been a exellent for the areas there . And with ammo becoming better ,like Tbbc and Swift Aframe even better.

Great story Hunter-Habib, thanks for sharing !

The Railroad services here is issued Kongsberg m83 7,62x51 Mausers in crate for some of the routes they take. 1 night i was aboard train. 11 moose crashes, 7 times they shot coup de grace . On 80 miles road.

Polar institute on Svalbard is issued Ruger stainless m77 .308 for Bear protection and allround use.

602 in .375 would been a exellent for the areas there . And with ammo becoming better ,like Tbbc and Swift Aframe even better.
.308 Winchester for bear protection ? I’d like to have a word with the “Genius” who came up with this idea. Perhaps send him after a problem bear with the very weapon which he had those poor devils at the Polar Institute issued with.

Now, if they had been issued with Ruger Model 77 rifles in 9.3x62mm Mauser, then we’d be talking some real sense. Loaded with 293Gr RWS/Brenneke TUG soft points.

.308 Winchester for bear protection ? I’d like to have a word with the “Genius” who came up with this idea. Perhaps send him after a problem bear with the very weapon which he had those poor devils at the Polar Institute issued with.

Now, if they had been issued with Ruger Model 77 rifles in 9.3x62mm Mauser, then we’d be talking some real sense. Loaded with 293Gr RWS/Brenneke TUG soft points.

Were some .338 Win also for them ,but not many. It was to arm scientists of all kind that most of them never encountered a weapon before. I think 180 Nosler P were used,or 185 Lapua Mega.

This was ordered in the 80s ,what they use now i dont know. But it was americanized ammo view, euro ones not so much . And 9,3s were almost forgotten, together with German ammo.

"Scientists of all kind that most of them never encountered a weapon before" should never be issued a weapon without suitable training. In case of contact with a bear, the team would face a double danger,
the beast and the scientist.

"Scientists of all kind that most of them never encountered a weapon before" should never be issued a weapon without suitable training. In case of contact with a bear, the team would face a double danger,
the beast and the scientist.
They get markmanship training and familiarity with the guns issued ,or loaned. So they have to pass training, If not comfortable with that,they have to rent a armed guard.

Only place where you have to be armed at all times when you are outside there ,out of main buiød up areas as i know .

.308 is nuts as protection against polar bear...but the cold hard fact of life is that non-hunters cant shoot bigger bores..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88ak

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,