The One That Got Away (From Me)

Hunter-Habib

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Zambia , Namibia , Kenya , Mozambique , Zimbabwe
Hey, gents. Finally got some free time on my hands since the weekend is beginning. So I decided to pen another one of my tiger hunting stories. I still don’t know if I’ll ever actually succeed in publishing a book based on my hunting adventures so far, but well… one must always be optimistic.

Today’s story details my experiences with the second of the only four man eating Royal Bengal tigers to be legally hunted in the Sundarban mangrove forests post 1971. Out of these four man eaters, this was the only one which I DID NOT succeed in hunting. Nevertheless, he was eventually stopped after he met his demise all the same.

By reading this story, it’ll hopefully illustrate the fact that no matter how well prepared you think you are… when hunting dangerous game, success is never a guarantee. Anyway, I hope that you all enjoy it.
IMG_2308.jpeg

Shikari Pachabdi Gazi With The Tanned Hide Of The Man Eater Of Talpatti (1987)

I always enjoy your stories and valuable insight in to hunting dangerous cats. I am very envious of your tiger hunting past and commend you for sharing your adventures with us.
PS... Any one who shoots a 505 Gibbs is a friend of mine!
HH

It was the winter of 1986 and as part of my administrative duties as the Divisional Forest Officer of the Sundarbans … I was ordered by the Chief Conservator of Forests to supervise the building of Coupe Office # 55. This was located in the Talpatti forest range and work was fortunately going very steadily. In the previous year, I was fortunate enough to have been re-elected to serve a second term as the DFO of these mangrove forests.

I was well respected by all of my range officers and amongst local residents, because of the recent success which my administration had enjoyed in successfully ridding most of the Sundarbans of the hundreds of pirates and heroin smugglers who used to be rampant in the mangrove forests back in the 1970s and early 1980s. Even though I would eventually gain a great deal of notoriety for being the man to singlehandedly shoot 3 of the only 4 man eating Royal Bengal tigers to be legally killed in this part of the world, I will always consider my life’s greatest accomplishment to be my administration’s successful campaigns against piracy and drug smuggling in the Sundarbans.

This, I had managed to accomplish through radical steps taken in 1981 when I was first appointed as the DFO of this region. After the Indo-Pak War in 1971, this part of the world was in a most distressing state of political turbulence all throughout the 1970s. Bloody military coups were a very common occurrence all throughout the decade, as various political parties struggled to become the kings of this new country. As a result, the forests all across the country had become greatly neglected since no government administration was stable enough to actually establish a proper Ministry of Forests. This was particularly disconcerting as far as the Sundarbans was concerned; also known as the largest mangrove forest in the world. Since this forest shared a border with West Bengal in India, it had begun to be used as a haven for drug smugglers and pirates and commercial poachers. All of that changed after 1981, when President Hossain finally brought political stability to this part of the world.

I was 29 years old when I was first made the DFO of the Sundarbans in 1981 (having previously served 2 terms as the DFO of the Chittagong Hill Tracts), and the President had personally told me “Mr. Habib, I hereby make you king and guardian of our nation’s greatest natural resource for the next four years. You have but one responsibility. Protect these forests from the enemy and looters at all costs. By the end of your term, I want to see every single pirate/poacher/drug smuggler eradicated from these forests by any means necessary. I am providing you with every available resource that you require in order to accomplish this. But do not fail me.”

I immediately got down to business and worked to identify the problems that had manifested itself in the Sundarban Department of Forests. It was quite depressing (and hard to believe) that around 90% of the forest guards appointed by the previous administration, did not even know how to properly fire a shotgun (let alone a rifle). For the life of them, they could not tell the difference between a birdshot cartridge and a buckshot cartridge. Several could not tell the difference between the pug marks of a Royal Bengal tiger and those of a Chital deer. When I first interviewed all of the forest guards in 1981, I was quite appalled that only less than 30 forest guards in the entire department were properly skilled with the use of firearms and were experienced in hunting (and most of those 30 were appointed to their positions back while the country was still East Pakistan prior to the war in 1971). I did not hold anything personally against the inept forest guards. Most of them were rural simpletons who invariably used to work as local farmhands prior to becoming forest guards, and thus could not be expected to contend with the dangers of these mangrove forests on a regular basis. Nevertheless, they would not do.

Being a freedom fighter myself and a veteran of the war in 1971, I knew exactly what I had to do in order to bring about radical changes to the department. Just like myself, thousands of young men had served in the war (either as conscripts or as volunteers). While I fortunately had (and have) a very loving family and home to return to after the war was over, for countless of these young men… that was simply not an option. Many had lost their entire families as casualties of the war, while others could not find themselves returning back to civilian life so easily. Many college/university students could not find themselves being able to return to complete their education (for a wide variety of reasons) after the war was over. Many were injured and/or facially disfigured and had become social pariahs. Many had lost all of their family assets/property/wealth during the war and were practically beggars living on the street. Many had lost their pre war jobs and were now completely unemployed (or were working in menial professions like janitors or car washers or mechanics or the like). What we had all over the country, were thousands of unemployed disillusioned young men who were trained in combat and with the use of firearms but were now being completely unable to do anything with these set of skills as society had pretty much cast them away. I changed all that.

Within the first four months of my administration, I had recruited exactly 2000 new forest guards… all former war veterans and each of them loyal to a fault. I had given these young men a source of income which they could be proud of. I had given them a purpose. They had 1 duty only- To put the very fear of God into every single pirate, commercial poacher and drug smuggle that inhabited these forests. And this, they excelled at.

So competent were they at their duties, that when Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain and her entourage visited the Sundarban mangrove forests in during a state visit to this part of the world in 1983… she was completely impressed by how well disciplined the entire department was and she compared them to British soldiers.

Anyway, back to the events of 1986. Work was going at a steady rate, until suddenly one day … disaster struck. Reports of a notorious man eating Royal Bengal tiger began to surface in the Talpatti forest range. 13 local woodcutters ( called “Bawalis”) had lost their lives to this animal, before news of these incidents finally reached my ears. The men working on the construction of Coupe Office # 55 were beginning to get increasingly hesitant to show up to work. The pace of work had begun to slacken. I immediately decided to commence action, in order to save the lives of the men under my charge.

IMG_1757.jpeg

The Author (Center) Greeting Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Of Great Britain During Her State Visit To Bengal With President Hossain (Far Right) (1983)

As I have mentioned in detail in Chapter I, back in those days … the standard policy of all of the nation’s forest departments (including the Sundarban Department of Forests) for contending with an endangered animal which had begun to kill human beings, was to first attempt to frighten the animal away from the vicinity of the area. This was exactly what I had my range officers and employees do (by employing the methods outlined in Chapter I). Unfortunately, fear was not a behavioral trait which this tiger seemed to possess. Within 3 weeks, the man eater had managed to claim the lives of 5 more human victims. I then ordered my range officers to commence with plan B: Attempt to capture the man eater alive. Again, we attempted every single means of live capture which I have already outlined in Chapter I. It was all in vain, however. By 30th November, the total kill-count of the man eater had escalated to 24.

By now, the virtually ALL of the woodcutters and workers assigned to complete the construction job on Coupe Office # 55 had begun to cease reporting for duty … out of fear for their lives. The pace of work had been brought COMPLETELY to a standstill. I began to be subjected to a great deal of pressure by my superiors. The Chief Conservator specifically ordered me that I MUST have the construction of Coupe Office # 55 completed BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. If I couldn’t, then he explicitly told me that the Sundarbans would be getting a new DFO. Faced with the pressure of losing my post and the fact that all non lethal means of contending with the tiger had culminated in utter failure, I finally decided that there was only one last option at my disposal.

Traveling to Dacca, I submitted a report to the Chief Conservator in which I thoroughly broke down the reasons why it was necessary to get the Ministry of Forests to issue a Death Order for the man eater. The Chief Conservator then arranged a meeting with the Ministry of Forests. It took the Chief Conservator every ounce of persuasion he had, in order to convince the government that this man eating Royal Bengal tiger was not only a threat to human lives … but was also causing serious harm to government revenue. After the Chief Conservator went out of his way to explain that EVERY SINGLE NON LETHAL MEANS OF ATTEMPTING TO DISPOSE OF THE MAN EATER had proven to be unsuccessful, the Ministry of Forests finally conceded and gave the Chief Conservator exactly what I wanted: A Death-Order for the tiger.

With the legal formalities now finally taken care of, I rushed back to my office in Khulna where I received even more grim news. 2 more people (a fisherman and a local goat farmer’s daughter) had lost their lives to the man eater. I had previously dispatched the man eater of Mohesshoripur in 1981 (albeit after several failed attempts and very nearly losing my life on the night when I had finally succeeded in shooting the animal) and I was determined to take down the man eater of Talpatti, as well.

For this purpose, I ordered Pachabdi Gazi (who was stationed in the Buri Goalini forest range at the time) to be transferred to the head office of the Sundarban Department of Forests in Khulna … where I personally met him. I knew that Pachabdi had guided several foreign diplomats (including the Shah of Iran, King Mahendra of Nepal and the infamous Sean Flynn) and Pakistani politicians and military officers (such as President Marshall Ayub Khan and his son, Gohar Ayub Khan and Brigadier General Umrao Khan) on Royal Bengal tiger hunts in the Sundarbans during the East Pakistani era (when hunting Royal Bengal tigers for sport was legal). Aside from being a master at dispatching Royal Bengal tigers with gun-traps, he was an exceptional guide who understood the behavior of Royal Bengal tigers to a fault.

I told Pachabdi that he was to remain by my side for the entirety of this hunt, until I managed to dispatch the man eater of Talpatti. He was to mentor me in every way possible, so that I knew the behavior of man eating Royal Bengal tigers to a “T”. I reassured him that (unlike the incident in 1981) I would not be asking him to shoot the man eater face to face. I would be doing that myself. Pachabdi obediently agreed to my terms.

I took my 12 bore Sikender and my .32 ACP Webley Model 1908 (and a good supply of cartridges for both firearms), while Pachabdi took along his Belgium made 12 bore (2 3/4 inch chambers) R.B Rodda & Co. double barrel side by side back action hammer shotgun (with a fully choked left barrel and a 1/2 choked right barrel).

After going to the armory of Sundarban Department of Forests, I also collected the 7x57mm Mauser Churchill rifle from there (along with the 9 Winchester Super X 175 grain soft nosed cartridges which I had seen in the armory in 1981). With 2 shotguns, a large caliber rifle and a pistol between us … Pachabdi and I considered ourselves to be adequately armed to take on whatever the man eater could throw at us.
IMG_0987.jpeg

Pachabdi Gazi (Right) With Sean Flynn (Son Of Actor Errol Flynn) When The Latter Had Come To Visit The Sundarbans For A Royal Bengal Tiger Hunt (1968)

By the time Pachabdi and I had arrived at Talpatti, the notorious man eater had claimed his 32nd human victim. And I was determined that it would also be his last. But this was far easier said than done. For neither of us could even catch a remote glimpse of the tiger.

For 10 days, we earnestly tried a variation of strategies. Sometimes, we would enter the forest at 5PM and head back to the “Forest Queen” at 7 AM in the morning. We would have forest sentries construct macchans for us, in areas where the pug marks of the man eater had been found (indicating that the tiger was passing or traveling through these areas) and we would wait to ambush the animal the moment he would pass through. We would mount a massive spotlight on the forest department’s speedboat and patrol all of the canals of Talpatti at night, carefully observing the mouths of the canals for any signs of suspicious movement.

We would also spend hours walking through the Talpatti forest range ON FOOT, hoping to encounter the man eater. Out of sheer desperation, we finally began to sit and wait ON THE GROUND with our firearms ready … hoping that we would be able to shoot the man eater if he came looking to make us his next meals. Our results were heartbreakingly appalling. No matter new technique what we attempted, our outcome was alway the same- No sight of the man eater of Talpatti. To make matters worse than they already were, during these 10 days … the tiger had claimed another human victim - an elderly village woman who had stepped out of her hut in the wee hours of the morning in order to feed her domesticated chickens. I finally decided to switch strategies.

Pachabdi had previously taught me that using a cow as live bait would not work in enticing a Sundarban tiger because the mangrove forests were already abundant with Axis deer and Bengal bush boars. Rather, seeing a cow tied to a tree in the middle of the forest was bound to alert the Royal Bengal tiger and make them feel suspicious. I then asked Pachabdi “What about a goat ?”. After pondering for a few seconds, Pachabdi told me that he had no experience with using goats as live baits … but speculated that it would yield the same unsuccessful results. Well … it doesn’t hurt to try, I thought.

IMG_1438.jpeg

The Author (Right) Meeting Pachabdi Gazi (Left) For The First Time At The Buri Goalini Forest Range Office (1981)

And so, preparations were made. On the 29th of December … the “Forest Queen” was anchored near a river bank, where the pug marks of the man eater had recently been found. On the river bank, a kid goat was tied to a wooden stake while Pachabdi and I remained on the deck of the launch. As the sun began to set, I ordered all of the launch’s crew members to go below decks and not to make any noise. I also ordered every light on the launch to be switched off.

Pachabdi was armed with his Belgian 12 bore (loaded with a pair of plastic cased Eley Alphamax L.G cartridges). I loaded the breech of my 12 bore with a plastic cased Eley Alphamax L.G cartridge and the magazine of the forest department’s 7x57mm Mauser with 6 soft nosed cartridges. I also loaded the magazine of my .32 ACP pistol with 8 GECO 73 grain Full Metal Jacket cartridges. Tucking my pistol into my pocket and propping up the rifle against the launch’s railing, I kept the shotgun on a makeshift tripod (which Pachabdi had made me from a “Y” shaped tree branch) that was lashed to the launch railing. I had the hammer pulled back. For a moment, I contemplated whether I should attempt to shoot the man eater with my 12 bore or with the 7x57mm Mauser. I eventually opted for the 12 bore, because it was with this weapon that I had successfully shot my first man eater in 1981. As I have already explained in the first chapter of this book, 8 lead pellets from a 12 bore Eley Alphamax L.G cartridge permitted for a greater margin of error than a single rifle bullet… especially when one is shooting at the dead of night over the beam of a 5-cell torchlight. Pachabdi was carrying a 5-cell Maglite torchlight. We began to wait, as the kid goat began to bleat in loneliness.

At 11:30 PM, the kid goat suddenly stopped bleating and simply kept staring straightways at something. Pachabdi motioned me to get ready, as he put his finger on the switch of the torchlight and pointed it at the direction where the kid goat was staring. The moment he switched on the torchlight, I caught a glimpse of a large pair of yellow glowing eyes roughly 80 yards away from where we were. Using the 2 glowing eyes as a reference point, I aimed an inch below (making an educated guest as where the chest might be) and pulled the trigger. As the tremendous blast of the 12 bore shotgun echoed through the entire mangrove forest, I heard the sound of a massive animal rushing off into the thickets. I had missed.

Pachabdi told me that 80 yards was far too long a range for a shotgun to perform accurately. As I began to curse myself, Pachabdi reassured me that the Royal Bengal tiger would return if we both remained quiet. He was of the opinion that the man eater had become intrigued by the kid goat (having never seen one in Talpatti before) and suggested that this time… I arm myself with the 7x57mm Mauser because it had longer range. I worked the top lever of my Sikender shotgun to open the breech but the ejector did not pop out the expended Eley Alphamax L.G cartridge. As usual, the defective ejector had once again overridden the rim of the expended cartridge … thereby causing a jam. But I had slowly come to expect this and I used the blade of my Buck Model 110 folding knife to forcibly pry out the empty cartridge. Loading in a fresh L.G cartridge and closing the breech, I pulled back the hammer of the shotgun and propped it against the launch’s railing. I took the forest department’s 7x57mm Mauser Churchill Model Imperial rifle in my hands and flipped off the safety catch. Pachabdi switched off the 5-cell torchlight and we began to wait again. The kid goat began to bleat again, out of loneliness.

At 1:08 AM, the kid goat suddenly stopped bleating and simply kept staring straightways at something. Pachabdi motioned me to get ready, as he put his finger on the switch of the torchlight and pointed it at the direction where the kid goat was staring. I raised rifle to my shoulder. The moment he switched on the torchlight, I caught a glimpse of a large pair of yellow glowing eyes roughly 100 yards away from where we were. Aiming an inch below the eyes, I pulled the trigger and the sharp crack of the 7x57mm Mauser echoed through the entire forest. As I heard the loud noise of the tiger retreating back into the thickets, I desperately cycled the bolt of the rifle (thus, ejecting the expended cartridge and getting a fresh one into the breech from the magazine) and fired another shot at the man eater’s direction. But it was all in vain. I had missed once again and had lost a perfectly good opportunity. I felt despondent with failure. Pachabdi informed me that the man eater would not be returning to this location, anymore. But he genuinely tried his best to comfort me, telling me that the forest department’s 7x57mm Mauser rifle was in very poor condition with terribly worn out rifling (I would eventually discover that Pachabdi was 100% correct in his assessment) and that it was not my fault. But I could not help thinking of myself as inept.
IMG_1471.jpeg

The Firearms Employed By The Author To Hunt His 3 Man Eating Royal Bengal Tigers: The Pakistani 12 Bore Single Barreled Sikender Shotgun (Right) Was Used To Down The Man Eater Of Mohesshoripur (1981) & The Man Eater Of Chand Pai (1988) & The English Made Pakistani Assembled 7x57mm Mauser Caliber Churchill Gunmakers Model Deluxe Bolt Action Rifle (Left) Was Used To Down The Man Eater Of Atharobeki (1989)
IMG_2303.jpeg

The Author With His 7x57mm Mauser (1989)

In the morning, I received an urgent message on the “Forest Queen’s” radio. A large band of heroin smugglers had been arrested by my range officers in the Shoronkhola forest range, and I was immediately required to go there in order to supervise the transfer and evidential processing of the confiscated heroin. I left Pachabdi behind in Talpatti with 2 armed forest sentries under his command. I told him that he was to remain behind and keep attempting to kill the man eater until I returned to Talpatti within 2 days. But fortunately, the Royal Bengal tiger was disposed of before I would return.

On the 1st of January, 1987 … Pachabdi and his brother, Shafiq had finally succeeded in killing the man eater. The animal had killed it’s final human victim (a local boatman) and had partially fed on the corpse. Pachabdi found the partially eaten human remains before sundown and used his Belgian 12 bore (loaded with Eley Alphamax L.G cartridges) to rig a gun-trap in the Royal Bengal tiger’s hunting trail. Then, he and the forest sentries spent the night on the forest department speedboat which they anchored in the wider part of a creek. At night, they heard the loud echo of a 12 bore shotgun’s discharge resonating through the entire forest range- a clear indication that the gun-trap had sprung.

In the morning, Pachabdi and the forest sentries returned to the kill-site of the man eater’s partially eaten human victim. And there, lying on the centre of the trail right next to the discharged gun-trap … was a massive dead male Royal Bengal tiger. He had been shot through the head by the gun-trap at contact range. A close examination of the pug marks confirmed that the dead Royal Bengal tiger was indeed the notorious man eater of Talpatti. When Pachabdi took the gun-trap apart, he noticed that the Eley Alphamax L.G cartridge in the Belgian 12 bore’s right barrel had misfired. But the cartridge in the shotgun’s left barrel had properly gone off … and this was what had finally sealed the Royal Bengal tiger’s fate.

I hesitate to think that if the cartridge in the left barrel had also misfired … how many more human beings would have kept losing their lives to the tiger’s depravity. After killing 34 innocent people, the man eater of Talpatti would finally trouble the locals of the Talpatti forest range no more.
IMG_2418.jpeg

A Gun-Trap Set Up By Pachabdi Gazi To Kill A Man Eating Royal Bengal Tiger (1957)
Note: This Photograph Was Taken From Tahawar Ali Khan’s Excellent 1961 Book “Man Eaters Of The Sundarbans“

A postmortem revealed that the Royal Bengal tiger had been injured in the right hind leg by the iron teeth of a bear-trap … no doubt the work of a poacher. I speculated that this Royal Bengal tiger had been originally wounded in the Rai Mangal island of the Sundarbans, because these kinds of bear-traps were widely used in that region for illegally subduing immature Royal Bengal tigers alive for the endangered wildlife trade on the black market. The creature’s wounded hind leg had become gangrenous with infection and no doubt … this is what had turned him into a man eater. Pachabdi’s actions enabled me to have the construction of Coupe Office # 55 completed within the following 2 months. And thus, I was able to save my face and retain my post as DFO.

This was the 57th and final man eating Royal Bengal tiger which old Pachabdi would kill. He would peacefully pass away in his sleep on December, 1997. His Belgian shotgun can now be seen on display in a museum in Dacca. As for me, I felt that I was way out of my depth by attempting to go after the man eater of Talpatti. I had managed to dispatch the man eater of Mohesshoripur in 1981 through sheer luck and I resolved to best leave the business of hunting these cunning striped felines to those far more competent and experienced in this field.
Of course, at that time I had absolutely no clue that I would eventually go on to successfully shoot 2 more man eating Royal Bengal tigers in 1988 and 1989.

Those two incidents may be read about here (https://www.africahunting.com/threads/my-second-man-eating-royal-bengal-tiger.74057/) and here (https://www.africahunting.com/threads/the-last-man-eater-of-the-mangroves.74697/).

THE END

IMG_0876.jpeg

Pachabdi Gazi’s Shotgun Now On Display At The Museum In Dacca (2023)

Last edited:
I’ll add a small note as a conclusion. Since I wasn’t actually present when this particular man eater was killed, I don’t have a photo of the Royal Bengal tiger in question. I was only able to take the photo of Pachabdi with the hide of the tiger (seen on the top of this article), on the day that he had submitted it to the Talpatti forest range office (as per government policy).

Enjoyed the story. Thank you for writing it up.

What typically happens with the hides once the government takes possession of them? Is there a museum or state building they can be viewed by the public?

A postmortem revealed that the Royal Bengal tiger had been injured in the right hind leg by the iron teeth of a bear-trap … no doubt the work of a poacher. I speculated that this Royal Bengal tiger had been originally wounded in the Rai Mangal island of the Sundarbans, because these kinds of bear-traps were widely used in that region for illegally subduing immature Royal Bengal tigers alive for the endangered wildlife trade on the black market. The creature’s wounded hind leg had become gangrenous with infection and no doubt … this is what had turned him into a man eater. Pachabdi’s actions enabled me to have the construction of Coupe Office # 55 completed within the following 2 months. And thus, I was able to save my face and retain my post as DFO.

This was the 57th and final man eating Royal Bengal tiger which old Pachabdi would kill. He would peacefully pass away in his sleep on December, 1997. His Belgian shotgun can now be seen on display in a museum in Dacca. As for me, I felt that I was way out of my depth by attempting to go after the man eater of Talpatti. I had managed to dispatch the man eater of Mohesshoripur in 1981 through sheer luck and I resolved to best leave the business of hunting these cunning striped felines to those far more competent and experienced in this field.
Of course, at that time I had absolutely no clue that I would eventually go on to successfully shoot 2 more man eating Royal Bengal tigers in 1988 and 1989.

Those two incidents may be read about here (https://www.africahunting.com/threads/my-second-man-eating-royal-bengal-tiger.74057/) and here (https://www.africahunting.com/threads/the-last-man-eater-of-the-mangroves.74697/).

THE END

View attachment 537175
Pachabdi Gazi’s Shotgun Now On Display At The Museum In Dacca (2023)
How long are those barrels on Mr. Gazi's shotgun?

I always enjoy your stories and valuable insight in to hunting dangerous cats. I am very envious of your tiger hunting past and commend you for sharing your adventures with us.
PS... Any one who shoots a 505 Gibbs is a friend of mine!
HH
Why, thank you, HH. Hey, I just noticed that we both have the same initials. Yeah, my favorite dangerous game calibers are the .505 Gibbs and the .600 Nitro Express.

Enjoyed the story. Thank you for writing it up.

What typically happens with the hides once the government takes possession of them? Is there a museum or state building they can be viewed by the public?
Why thank you, Josh. Out of the 4 man eating Royal Bengal tigers to be legally killed in the Sundarbans (since 1971), here is what happened to each of the hides:
The hide of the man eater of Mohesshoripur (which I shot in 1981) was presented by the President to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II as a gift during her state visit in 1983.

The hide of the man eater of Talpatti (which Pachabdi Gazi killed via gun-trap in 1987) can now be seen in a museum in Khulna.

The hide of the man eater of Chand Pai (which I shot in 1988) was presented to a Saddam Hussein by the President when the President had visited Iraq in 1989.

The hide of the man eater of Atharobeki (which I shot in 1989) can now be seen in the lobby of the Khulna Head Office of the Sundarban Department of Forests.

How long are those barrels on Mr. Gazi's shotgun?
They are 32", Steve. But they appear to be much longer since the fore part has been completely worn through. The forepart was already in this poor condition when the shotgun was donated to Pachabdi in 1986. But in his hands, it used to be an extremely dangerous weapon.

I've personally seen Pachabdi down 29 golden Snipe with two shots from this shotgun, when he had fired at a flock of them from a dingy boat (using Eley Alphamax 1 1/4 oz #8 shells).

A good friend has extended an offer to visit with him on a future trip. If we end up anywhere close, it'd be a treat to see them in person.
Consider it done. But just remember that I'll be in Tanzania this August.

Mr. Habib, what a great story of the that notorius tiger! Having read thoroughly the accounts of Jim Corbett's experiences, I truly enjoyed reading yours! Thanks for your work and contributions to your fellow man in pursuit of those man-eaters. I wish you well, and do encourage you to continue writing.

Mr. Habib, what a great story of the that notorius tiger! Having read thoroughly the accounts of Jim Corbett's experiences, I truly enjoyed reading yours! Thanks for your work and contributions to your fellow man in pursuit of those man-eaters. I wish you well, and do encourage you to continue writing.
Why, thank you, Alan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you