The one and only

Let's suppose you had to make a choice of hunting just one animal type from now on, what would it be?
My card is still pretty empty, still to get a kudu and a gemsbok which are right up there, but not as high as buffalo. If you said all I could hunt from now on is buffalo I wouldn't be put out at all, it is in my blood now. There is just something about pursuing these beautiful, powerful beasts that brings a capital L to life.

Vaal Rhebok. What a great hunt, fantastic views, physically challenging, unique looking animal etc. I have yet to hunt a Buffalo, so I reserve my right to change my mind. But that was a special time

If I wasn't allowed to leave Canada, then moose would be my choice.

In NA, pronghorn antelope. I love the walking and running involved. When you spot a herd of antelope it takes another hour or two to get close. Their eyesight is so good that you can’t make a mistake or they’ll be gone.

In Africa: elephant. There is nothing like it.

If I had to chose between the two, and I wasn’t limited in frequency ($$!) of how often I can hunt… definitely elephant.

A distant 3rd place would be squirrel hunting with archery equipment. Every 100 yards is a new squirrel area, your mistakes are easily forgotten.

An incredibly hard question to answer, luckily it should never be asked. Being from the USA I would have to go with deer, which covers most of our ungalates. Bears and varmits shurely have it coming but please let the lead fly I say.

For me it’d have to be buffalo in Africa and Big Elk in North America. This would be a difficult and cruel decision though as there are so many others I enjoy hunting. I’d really need to hunt elephant bulls at least one more time before committing to only buffalo.

PS - birds don’t count for me. Not going to give up my bird shooting for anything.

Let's suppose you had to make a choice of hunting just one animal type from now on, what would it be?
Certainly a thought provoking and painful question to ponder!

Africa - Very difficult to choose between Buffalo and Tuskless elephant, but today I lean toward buffalo. Tomorrow…probably flip flop to tuskless.

North America - For me it has to be big mule deer, with elk during the rut a close second. In 40 years of chasing them I’ve shot quite a few mule deer with bow, rifle and muzzle loader, and several pretty nice ones, but never a truly big one and it is the one trophy I desire more than any other. I have a very nice Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep which is currently my favorite trophy and mount, but if I had to choose I might trade for a big mule deer.

I made a choice at a young age to love only one woman for the rest of my life. Not sure I could do the same when it came to hunting because I love it all. Birds, antelope, deer, pigs, goats...and don't even get me started on fishing. Call me a poly-hunter if you really need a label. I'm equal opportunity hunting for all species.
Me too! Im committed to one woman, ( 41 years and happily counting ) but only one animal to hunt? Nope. I spent the morning today with my dog at a local duck marsh. Had just as much fun as I did last week stalking moose. Or the week before fishing for walleye and pike. Or the week before that calling in a bull elk. A couple months ago, fly fishing for trout. Or a few months ago, hunting Cape buffalo and Eland in Zimbabwe. I'm looking forward to hunting Pheasant and Partridge and Grouse next week, then Whitetail deer, and later coyotes. Silly question.
( actually an interesting question, but it disturbs me too much to contemplate seriously!)

Last edited:
Why do you do this to us Kevin?

I can't say I could settle on one species by choice.

I can say I don't tire of hunting feral pigs.

Yip 1 is difficult.....

DG- Tuskless elephant
LPG-Livingstone Eland
SPG-Our own Vaal Rhebuck

Nocturnal....I just cant leave bushpigs alone....hunted either over bait, with hounds or on foot at night in corn fields or macadamia plantations....

My card is still pretty empty, still to get a kudu and a gemsbok which are right up there, but not as high as buffalo. If you said all I could hunt from now on is buffalo I wouldn't be put out at all, it is in my blood now. There is just something about pursuing these beautiful powerful beasts that brings a capital L to life.
Buffalo is high on my list. But buffalo is expensive. How many buffalos an average (paying) sport hunter can afford in his lifetime?

So, hunting one animal for life continuously, every season - for me would be roe deer. Plenty around,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StevieMiel

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob