The next best calibre?

I’m having great difficulty in accepting that I have to say this to a fellow Bundy drinker
You’re in Australia…projectiles, primers and factory ammunition are scarcer than an Australian nuclear submarine. So…..you really only have one choice…that cartridge for the common working man…the mighty 308 Winchester. Qualify ammunition is readily available and sort of affordable….especially when compared to the magnum cartridges. What you save on ammunition can be invested into Rum.
and forget that pretend, want to be a 9.3 x 62 , cartridge the 35 Wee Lin.
@R eight
That the beauty of being a Whelen owner and of superior intelligence mate we knew this shit storm was coming and ulnike the lesser caliber owner we stocked up on supplies when they were cheaper and readily available. Plus I have a few thousand 25 cal and 224 projectiles
and 6,000 odd small rifle primers and sufficient powder to see me out for a few years yet. Hence this inturn allowed us to purchase even more rum. With 5,000 large rifle primers, 500 odd 35 cal post and at least 6kg of CFE223 and 3 litres of Bundy I don't foresee a shortage in the immediate or long term future

shifty,

my thoughts are that the Eland is the anomaly regarding plains game. bulls as big or bigger than a cape buffalo.
A .338 Winchester Magnum or a 9.3x62mm Mauser or a .35 Whelen.

I'm a Mauser guy, so 9.3x62mm for me. But any will cover all the bases appropriately enough for all plains game up to eland.
and the very first answer/advice given is pretty much exactly what i would recommend.

good luck picking a caliber!

Hi All,

Currently in my safe I have .222, .243, .270 and 30-30.

Here in Australia I do all my deer hunting with the .270 and finding it does the job but….

Not including big bore for dangerous game, what would be the next best calibre to get to “fill the gap” if I say wanted to shoot heavier bullets and do a PG hunt?

Cheers,
Shifty
Looking back on this; you have it covered with the .270. As long as you don’t have more than 3,000 rounds through it?

I have the feeling you just need an excuse to by a new .30 Cal?

Then you may as well get a 300 RUM and get custom match ammo made for your new custom rifle…

Hell, it’s only money! And, your heirs will just blow it on BS you would never approve of anyway! Do it, and don’t look back!

Or take the $9k you’ll save on a new custom rig, with match ammo, and go on a nice safari with your .270!

Hi All,

Currently in my safe I have .222, .243, .270 and 30-30.

Here in Australia I do all my deer hunting with the .270 and finding it does the job but….

Not including big bore for dangerous game, what would be the next best calibre to get to “fill the gap” if I say wanted to shoot heavier bullets and do a PG hunt?

Cheers,
Shifty

And, with enough practice you can take up to an Eland with the .270. I’ve done it with a 7MM REM MAG -in one shot. It can be argued that the 7MM RM has only a slight advantage over the .270 and that advantage requires a 24” barrel… **I don’t own a .270. I’m just making the point that what you have, or in my case, had at the time was enough to effectively take more animals than I ever thought I would with one rifle…

Then you may as well get a 300 RUM and get custom match ammo made for your new custom rifle…
do not buy a ultra mag, seen nothing but problems from them. more blast, more cost, more bullet failures...and for what? a gun that needs a brake and does not kill the game any better?

Last edited:
do not buy a ultra mag, seen nothing but problems from them.
You may have missed the point of my post.

FWIW: I have a 300 RUM and so do several other people I know. My RUM is great and I’ve never heard of any problems…

It’s pretty accurate too!

E8C2142F-C634-4359-8C6D-607D23991992.jpeg

Although, I’ve only killed a couple Elk with it; deader than shit… So, I guess the jury is still out?

You may have missed the point of my post.
yeah,

i probably did. there was no intent to discredit your rifle of choice, i have just seen some train wrecks from this caliber. there are few bullets that can withstand the forces that this rifle puts on them. also, invariably, they all wear muzzle brakes which i have become a hater of. brakes are good for the shooter (if wearing hearing protection) and bad for everyone else.

the ultra mags are capable of extending the range of a "normal" rifle. to shoot far out there usually requires a bullet with high b.c. and they are generally not great hunting bullets. shot at an animal too close, they blow up. good bullets (mono metal bullets are probably the best for this cartridge) do not usually have the high b.c. needed for longer range and are usually not chosen if a guy wants to snipe animals far away.

anyway, my apologies because i do understand that people don't like their wives, dogs, trucks or rifles disparaged. (me neither) and it was not my intention to do so. my big thought was most hunting should be done at 400 yards or less. if that is done, then the ultra mags are generally more than needed. they will make hits at extreme ranges more likely, but then one has to consider bullet construction and velocity, etc to do a good/humane job on the animal. on steel, i suspect they are a superior product.

yeah,

i probably did. there was no intent to discredit your rifle of choice, i have just seen some train wrecks from this caliber. there are few bullets that can withstand the forces that this rifle puts on them. also, invariably, they all wear muzzle brakes which i have become a hater of. brakes are good for the shooter (if wearing hearing protection) and bad for everyone else.

the ultra mags are capable of extending the range of a "normal" rifle. to shoot far out there usually requires a bullet with high b.c. and they are generally not great hunting bullets. shot at an animal too close, they blow up. good bullets (mono metal bullets are probably the best for this cartridge) do not usually have the high b.c. needed for longer range and are usually not chosen if a guy wants to snipe animals far away.

anyway, my apologies because i do understand that people don't like their wives, dogs, trucks or rifles disparaged. (me neither) and it was not my intention to do so. my big thought was most hunting should be done at 400 yards or less. if that is done, then the ultra mags are generally more than needed. they will make hits at extreme ranges more likely, but then one has to consider bullet construction and velocity, etc to do a good/humane job on the animal. on steel, i suspect they are a superior product.
No worries and thank you. I try to put out information that is firsthand and factual to help as many as possible avoid some of the long and painful roads I’ve gone down trying to learn how to be a better hunter.

I’ve written a little about my effective hunting range being limited to about 330 yards with my previous rifle and scope set up - 7MM REM MAG. I also switched from shooting right handed rifles left handed, to left handed rifles (when I could afford to).

I like my 300 RUM because it’s great hunting rifle that I’ve been able to hit a target at 2,000 yards actually. Having said that, I didn’t buy the rifle, scope, supporting equipment, and go to 3 LR shooting schools with the notion that I would be hunting and killing animals at over 500 yards.

Hell, I knew very little about shooting effectively at distance. So I dove in head first to learn and I’m glad I did. My confidence level is much higher and I rarely take a shot that is rushed or I regret. Given the circumstances, I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot an animal at 500 yards.

The guy that built my rifle puts on the shooting schools, has a popular hunting show, and a significant following of hunters that are dedicated to hunting at Long Range. I appreciate what the rifle, equipment, and the trained shooter can do, but none of this makes one a better hunter.

I agree with you that is more ethical to close the distance to where you are certain an effective killing distance can be achieved. However, some of the most successful hunters I know are not great shots! Some of them have made bad shots at the 300 to 400 yard distance that resulted in unnecessarily injuring an animal and not recovering it or flat out missing after lobbing 4 or 5 shots… I didn’t want to be that type of hunter.

I’ve gone through a few different bullets with my 7MM REM MAG and finally concluded that Barnes TSX and TTSX work great for all the calibers I hunt with.

As far as bullet choices for 300 RUM. There are some good options out there if you have the right twist rate. I bought a couple boxes of Barnes LRX 208 Grain. These look good for hunting. Data looks good. You just need enough spin.

I did kill two elk with Berger 210 VLD Hunting bullets. But, at 300 yards or less.

If I can get the Barnes LRX to shoot accurately out my RUM, that’s what I’ll use.

For cartridge choice I prefer to stay within the big three of head diameters (,223; 30-06; 375) but my favorite large cartridges show hypocrisy on my part, 404 Jeffery & 470NE. My reason for keeping with the three basic cases is the cost accountants that are employed by the ammo companies. As the recent supply shortages show, the ammo makers prefer to make a standardized product that requires little changeover. Oddball head sizes such as the 404 & RUM cartridges get back of the line selection when the makers are setting machinery. So those non-standard head size cartridges become more scarce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,