The Lost Ones

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
@HWL
Would you happen to know when Raick Freres went out of business ? Do you have any catalogs of theirs ?
@ Professor Mawla

Actually, I do not know, and I do not have....

My rifle was made around 1930, and once I met a guy from Australia, who had pretty much the same gun, made at the same time.

What I know is, some other Belgian gunsmith made .405 doubles, too.

An aquaintance of mine has one.

HWL

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Further, I see that Woodleigh have two bullets for the 425WR listed, 410gr SN and 410gr FMJ. it's great to see this old caliber come back. Seems Woodleigh believe in them.
@Cervus elaphas
The woodleigh story is very interesting. Basically he started making a few bullets so some of his friends that had old double rifles. The business grew into a,world wide provider for many companies and people. It is still family owned and run by Geoff.
The rest as they say is history.
Bob

PerH

AH senior member
Reaction score
Articles
The Germans made quite some interesting also, one that would deserve a big comeback since components are made by several makers. One of the Schulers took the 10,75mm bullet .404 ones and put them in a .375 FL case, voila .404 Jeffery energy and ballistic in a double rifle.

Harald Wolf should have been in business still, his 11,72 Schuler version looked quite interesting .

crs

AH elite
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
The Simson & Co Suhl Double rifles, shotguns and combination guns were made in Suhl Germany also,
Simson made a nice .405 DR - AZDave has one.

My Simson .405 DR was made from a Simson 12 shotgun with custom barrels and wood.
56534_600x400.jpg

The .405 is still effective too:
52090_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
Ah the days when Presidents were huntin' and shootin'. Now it's either golfing or gun-hating.

We could do with another Adventurer president. These corporate types, with their maternalism or paternalism, will be our downfall.

Cervus elaphus

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, returning 2021
We could do with another Adventurer president. These corporate types, with their maternalism or paternalism, will be our downfall.
In the wild west when men were men and women weren't men, they would have been run out of town on a rail after a tar and feathering haircut, or taken on a one-way trip to a low branch on an oak tree. People get soft when they no longer have to struggle or work for a living.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
#1 & #2 .461 Gibbs.

.577/.450 Martini (I found one of these spent cartridges on the Great Karoo. My PH told me they were used on the farm from 1868 to 1875).

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I will second and third the .318 Westley Richards Rimless Nitro Express.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LashayL279

Latest profile posts

Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
I have been looking at an option for a 505, that doesn't break the bank (that concern my have to yield), and is more in the 50-110, or 50 Alaskan range. However not easy to find a case, other than the Weatherby, of course. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
Hello, do you have any information on your 505 SRE cartridge. Up here in Canada, there is talk about how the various 500s may exceed the 10 000 Joule limit recently imposed. Not that they do on paper, but you never know what they may infer or claim.
Eastern Cape Hunting Report Coming soon...

IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2152.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2583.JPG
Jaynecobb wrote on cal pappas's profile.
I hate to bother you....I own 2 of your books including British bore rifle. I was hoping you might have more 10 bore loads. For the heavier and later rifles. Any help would be appreciated.
Gert Odendaal wrote on Av8or's profile.
Good day , Do you still have .375 H&H Magnum brass available to sell?