The Journey

Well I kind of put the cart before the horse when we selected dates and sent our deposit. Normally one would schedule their vacation then book the trip not the other way around.

All is good though vacation is scheduled and approved. One more item off the list. This coming Monday is a holiday for me so I hope to make some more progress on my preparations.

Have been watching flights is there a time better than others or when one would typically find the best fares?
AustinL
Make sure and use a travel agent for your tickets if taking guns. The prices are tricky and all computer generated these days but I’d say about 8 months out is a good time. If you want to take Delta and get the premium economy seats you Need to book far in advance as they fill up. I’ve had a couple big hunts done kinda last minute (3-4 months out) and had to get a middle seat. Have to be an acrobat to climb over a sleeping passenger to get to the John!
I’m taking Delta this August but next year I may look at other options like Qatar since I’m going to Namibia.
Philip

Have been watching flights is there a time better than others or when one would typically find the best fares?

Yes, on Tuesdays. I know Philip recommends a travel agent. After using one for the first time in about twenty years because it was recommended with taking a gun, I would not use an agent again. I will say that I travel a lot, more then most.

You can easily find fares using either google flights (which is very fast) or ITA Matrix, which will get you just about every fare there is. But you can't book with those. Google flight will tell you where to book the fare, whereas ITA matrix, requires some work, you have to use a site "book with matrix" and some copy and paste commands.

We took Emirates and had zero problems. Under $800 from Seattle. Looking forward to more from your trip!!!

Well I kind of put the cart before the horse when we selected dates and sent our deposit. Normally one would schedule their vacation then book the trip not the other way around.

All is good though vacation is scheduled and approved. One more item off the list. This coming Monday is a holiday for me so I hope to make some more progress on my preparations.

I haven't used a travel agent in many years, but at everyone's recommendation I contacted Lori at Travel Express. She was within $50 of the best internet price and also offers a ton of experience with African travel. I would strongly recommend contacting her.

Strike another item off the list flights are booked. We will be traveling Delta from San Antonio to Atlanta then the non stop to johanasburg

Been working on packing lists and my information sheet for the outfitter

Passport renewal will most likely go out in the next week

Made a run with the family to the "big city" Friday night after work. Wife needed some stuff last minute that is hard to get local. I took the opportunity to do some pre shopping on items I will need to pick up clothing wise before we head out.

That said I am really struggling with my footwear decision. What does the AH crowd prefer?

Really not looking to break the bank we will be hunting the Kalahari region of SA. I have had and really enjoyed the Justin Chukka style of shoe in the past would something like that preform well or am I better suited with a traditional hiker.

Also what is the concensus on leather vs other materials for the upper?

If you are really hunting the Kalahari, its lots of blow sand, stabilized by some patches of grass. What shoes would you use on the dunes at Port A, that's what you need. If you are not in the sand, a good pair of hiking boots or shoes.

Last edited:
Port A attire is usually bare foot or flip flops.

I believe we will be on the fringes of the kalahari nearest town is Bray

Looking at the google satellite map, light weight hiking shoes should do nicely. I hunted somewhat west of you in the Northern Cape and it was lots of loose blow sand. By the way, have you made arrangements with the travel clinic in San Antonio?

No I have not that is on the list. Been covered up at work should not be so bad this coming week

Well as usual I have been extremely busy since I last posted in February with work, kids, sports and life. I have however scratched a few items off of the list.

Passport renewal has been sent in and should be back in my hands soon and vaccinations are done.

We have ordered bullets and are in the process of load development. Also have a range day set up for next weekend.

We have 960 acres of some pretty cool country we will be setting up steel gongs and walking and shooting off of sticks. Various distances shortened breath and elevated heart rate. Plus the possibility of hogs and or an aoudad ram are always there.

I have also started gathering up odds and ends items have my ever evolving packing list in process.

Hope to make a final decision on customs broker/importer soon as well as company to assist clearing firearms through SAPS

AustinL, I think you are well on your way to being ready! Your target range sounds great! I’m very jealous! Just a suggestion, but when you’re shooting off of sticks, or trees, or what ever, try timing yourself. A good 4-5 seconds is often all you’ll get in my experience.
Best!

Oh yes, get all leather shoes. I just looked up the Justin Chukka and I think if you can break it in and they are comfortable for long walks, they should work well. Take a multitool just in case you get some of the vicious Africa acacia thorns in them.

Last edited:
It’s getting closer just about 2 1/2 months left...seems as though we have done so much prep work yet I feel woefully unprepared.

Passport is in I must say I was pleased at the speed in which it was processed.

Left the house at 6:30 this am to be at the San Antonio customs office when they opened at 8 4457 form completed and back on the road by 8:30 and in the office by 9:45

579180DD-9C76-4EBE-AEA9-C637CA7D2907.jpeg
725E70E7-FA65-42DF-9E93-4A22EAFB4ED5.jpeg
So here we are 31 days till wheels up, I still cannot believe how time can pass so quickly yet so slowly all at the same time. As time nears I find myself evermore consumed with the little details.

This summer has been a blur and has found me in Phoenix Az and most recently just back from our annual family vacation in Port A.

That said we finally got an opportunity to finalize load development this weekend and have both rifles shooting 160 gr. Barnes TSX bullets that you can cover with a quarter. Have had several range sessions with the smaller calibers and will be heading back to the ranch next weekend to shoot some more from the sticks and run some down range from the big guns.

C9DB56FF-08F6-4BE3-BB6E-EBC3CB4E9F27.jpeg
CD2AD5DC-DC99-4C3B-BF35-482EFDC5D2E9.jpeg
Range day.....shot off sticks from 100-175 yards at a gong various angles and elevations. Going to send a few more down range in the morning. I hope to get one more weekend in before we fly out next month

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunday morning after another session off the sticks we stumbled across this young buck hung up in the fence. Managed to get him out of the fence without too much trouble and after a few minutes he seemed to have his legs back under him. He is young but has
A distinct kicker off his right brow which should make him easy to keep tabs on

A22D8478-EFDE-4DB9-B299-895AC86F2A44.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it’s getting closer.. one week from right now I will be on a bird headed to south africa

It’s go time. Sitting in the San Antonio airport fixing to board the flight for the first leg of our trip. Next stop Atlanta then on to Jo-berg.

Next check in will be the hunt report

Have a great time! Get some sleep on the flight(s) if you can. FYI - had that happen with a doe years ago on a lease near Mason, Tx. Got her unwound and she went off just fine. Felt good to do that.

Sitting in IAH waiting to go home. And your in SAT waiting to going hunting! Something is rotten in Denmark!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg