The Art Of Hunting The Great Bears Of Bengal: A Comprehensive Guide

Very nice article ,Sir. Really enjoyed it. Do tell me more about reloading your shells for the big beasts.
Why thank you so much for your kind words , Kunal Beta .
4354105977_2dccfa2494_b.jpg
4354104919_02f379877d.jpg

Let me teach you a very basic method .
> Select a basic " High Brass " 12 Bore bird shot cartridge , which possesses a card board top wad .
> Remove the top wad and pour out the bird shot .
> Melt the lead bird shot and pour the mass in to a 16 Bore sized spherical ball mould .
> Take the hardened spherical lead ball and re load the cartridge .
> Replace the card board top wad .

And ... You are good to go . Get a local metal worker to make you a spherical ball mould ... Of .690 Bore size .

“ Appropriate Armaments For Your Bear “

A ) Suitable Bear Worthy Fire Arms

We now approach my personal favorite part of this article . What armaments are the most appropriate for the Great Bears Of Bengal ?

It must be borne in mind , that terminal requirements of a calibre to be used on Sun Bears ... Is vastly different , compared to to the terminal requirements of a calibre to be used on the other 3 species of the Great Bears Of Bengal .

Since the Sun Bear is a relatively small creature , the shikaree does not need as large a calibre ... As he does , when pursuing the other species of bears . There fore , any of the .30 calibre centre fire rifle cartridges shall do quite admirably ... Against these brutes . My personal experience as a retired professional shikaree , leads me to have a strong preference for any of the 3 following calibres :
> .30-30 Winchester
> .30-06 Springfield
> .300 Winchester magnum

Out of these 3 calibres , were I given a choice ... I would personally opt for the .30-06 Springfield . Several gentle men prefer the .30-30 Winchester . That is perfectly alright . How ever , it must be borne in mind ... That the .30-30 Winchester is a cartridge for which lever rifles are invariably chambered . There fore , it is not a very accurate cartridge at longer ranges . When hunting Sun Bears , it must be borne in mind ... That these brutes are hunted in hilly regions . And in these sorts of regions ... Shots at longer ranges are invariably taken . For me ( Personally) ... The .30-06 Springfield is plenty accurate , for the ranges at which Sun Bears are typically shot .
By using the very same argument ... There were countless of my clients , who personally preferred the .300 Winchester magnum ... Due to the added reach of the .300 Winchester magnum , at longer ranges . I have no argument , whatsoever against their choice ... Save for the fact that I personally consider the .30-06 Springfield to be perfectly adequate , for hunting Sun Bear under all ordinary circumstances .

For the other 3 bear species found in Bengal ... A considerably heavier calibre is requisite . Based up on my personal experiences as a professional shikaree ... I deem the 3 following calibres to be perfect , for the purposes of hunting these brutes :
> .338 Winchester magnum
> 9.3 x 62 mm Mauser
> .375 Holland & Holland magnum

Amongst these 3 calibres , my personal favorite would have to be the .338 Winchester magnum . I have absolutely fallen in love with this magnificent American calibre ... Up on witnessing it’s terminal effects up on the Great Bears Of Bengal . It is extremely accurate , extremely flat shooting ( Out to longer ranges ) and packs enough of a punch ... To floor even the largest of the Himalayan Brown Bears . My Continental clients used to typically prefer the 9.3 x 62 mm Mauser for hunting the Great Bears Of Bengal and there is certainly nothing wrong with that , either . The 9.3 x 62 mm Mauser is a magnificent bear cartridge ... In it’s own right . Those of my clients , who also had a royal Bengal tiger or a gaur bison on the menu ( along side a bear ) ... Would invariably bring a .375 Holland & Holland magnum ( Or larger ) calibre rifle to India , for shikar . They would end up using their .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre rifle on bears ... With utter impunity , as well . The reason for this , was because : 13 of India’s 30 states had legal regulations , which stipulated the use of a minimum calibre of .375 magnum ... Against royal Bengal tigers and gaur bison , by foreign client shikarees . And foreign client shikarees were only permitted to import 2 fire arms and 250 cartridges ( Per fire arm ) in to India , for a shikar trip . As a result , most foreign client shikarees ( Who had either a royal Bengal tiger or a gaur bison , on their menu ) would bring a .375 Holland & Holland magnum ( Or larger ) calibre rifle as their heavy rifle ... Along with either a lighter calibre rifle or a shot gun , for shooting small(er) game . How ever , assuming that I was going on a shikar trip to India , intending to hunt nothing larger than a Himalayan Brown Bear ... My preferred rifle calibre would , undoubtedly be the .338 Winchester magnum .

Below , I have provided a scan of our “ Professional Shikaree’s Book Of Rules & Regulations “ From the season of 1967 to 1968 ( Applicable For Uttar Pradesh ) . As can clearly be seen , the minimal calibre for foreign client shikarees to use against royal Bengal tigers in Uttar Pradesh ... Was a .375 magnum .
View attachment 351965

Now , yes . The Great Bears Of Bengal have been successfully dispatched with EVERY possible calibre of rifle , ranging from .22 Winchester magnum rim fire to .460 Weatherby magnum . How ever , I would personally refrain from contending with these brutes ... With any rifle calibre smaller than the .338 Winchester magnum . Even a .256 Mannlicher calibre rifle is capable of dispatching a fully grown male Himalayan Brown Bear ... Provided that your 1st shot is entirely capable of bringing about the brute’s death . How ever , the heavier calibre of rifle becomes indispensable for laying low WOUNDED bears . For body shots , a larger diameter bullet definitely has more effect on a game animal than a smaller diameter bullet . Aside from creating larger wound channels ( Thus , ensuring swifter blood loss ) , it also causes more “ Shocking “ effect to the creature’s system ... Provided that the velocity is adequate . Some of my clients did prefer to use rifle calibres , which were larger than the .375 Holland & Holland magnum ( Such as the .458 Winchester magnum ) ... Against the Great Bears Of Bengal . While there is absolutely nothing wrong with these choices ... I personally consider the .458 Winchester magnum to be a short range cartridge and there fore , unsuitable for hill shooting ( Which is the sort of terrain ... In which the Great Bears Of Bengal are typically hunted ) . Thus , for me ... The perfect calibre for the hunting of the Great Bears Of Bengal ... Is the .338 Winchester magnum .

My good friends , @Shootist43 and @Bob Nelson 35Whelen have also familiarized me with an exceptional modern “ Wild Cat “ calibre named the “ .35 Whelen “ . While I have no PERSONAL experience with the calibre ... It’s ballistic properties ( On paper ) lead me to me to believe , that the .35 Whelen would also make an exceptionally sound choice against the Great Bears Of Bengal .

We now come to the most suitable platform of rifle , to use ... For the shikar of the Great Bears Of Bengal . For the other 5 members of India’s “ Dangerous 6 “ , my Dear Readers shall note that I always encourage shikarees ... To use the platform of rifle , which they feel most comfortable in operating ( Be it a double barreled rifle , a bolt rifle , a lever rifle or a semi automatic rifle ) . The exception , of course is when wounded forest panthers must be followed up ... In to the thickets ( Where a double barreled side by side rifle , equipped with double triggers , 24 - 26 inch barrels , automatic ejectors , uncovered ivory bead fore sight and wide V back sight ... Is irreplaceable) .

When hunting the Great Bears Of Bengal ... This is certainly NOT the case . This is the ONLY member of Indian “ Dangerous 6 “ ... Which actually NECESSITATES a bolt rifle . The Great Bears Of Bengal are typically shot at ranges of 100 yards , or thereabouts ( Some shots are often even made at ranges ... In excess of 200 yards ) . This is well beyond the comfort zone of the ranges of what most operators of double barreled rifles and lever rifles , would care to shoot game animals at . There fore , an accurate bolt rifle , wearing a low power telescopic sight ( Not too high magnification ) is what is requisite ... When hunting the Great Bears Of Bengal . Many such excellent rifles exist on the market today ... Which can easily fulfill these requirements . How ever , during our time ... The most superior rifle for this purpose was actually : The pre 64 Winchester Model 70 , chambered in .338 Winchester magnum , dressed in a super grade stock , and wearing a bull barrel and a Weaver K series telescopic sight . Not the most modern weapon ( By any means , whatsoever ) ... But the perfect tool to lay low all 4 species of the Great Bears Of Bengal .

Below , I have provided a photograph taken from the internet ... Of ( What I personally consider to be ) the perfect rifle , for having to contend with the Great Bears Of Bengal . I would even comfortably use this against Sun Bears ... With out feeling too over gunned .

View attachment 352007

B ) Essential Ammunition Choices

It must be borne in mind , that while the Great Bears Of Bengal are thin skinned creatures ... Their extensive fur and fat ( Referred to , as “ Adipose Tissue “ ) acts as a “ Sponge “ of sorts and can soak up their blood to a great extent ... While also closing wounds to some degree . There fore , only large calibre soft point bullets of premium quality ... Should be used against these brutes . Heavy for calibre bullets are indispensable for this sort of affair . There fore , the .30-06 Springfield cartridges should utilize 220 grain bullets ... When being used against Sun Bears . The .338 Winchester magnum cartridges should utilize 275 grain bullets ... When being used against Himalayan Black Bears , Asian Sloth Bears and Himalayan Brown Bears . In modern times , 300 grain bullets are widely available for the .338 Winchester magnum ( As manufactured by the Australian brand , Woodleigh ) . How ever , since I have no personal experience with these 300 grain bullets ... I shall refrain from commenting on them , too much . Hopefully , 1 of my Dear Readers ( Who has actually used these 300 grain bullets in the .338 Winchester magnum ) may be able to chip in ... On this subject .

During the time of my career as a professional shikaree ( 1961 - 1970 ) , most soft point cartridges used to possess a fundamental flaw ( especially , when utilized inside in a conventional repeater rifle ) . If you loaded your entire magazine with soft point cartridges and fired multiple shots ... Then , the recoil would cause the soft point cartridges to slam around inside the magazine ( Repeatedly ) . This , in turn ... Would cause the bullet heads of the soft point cartridges to deform , and thus ... Feeding issues were imminent .

There was , how ever 1 soft point cartridge ... Which was guaranteed NEVER to deform , back in those days - The Winchester Silver Tip . Never could a finer soft point bullet exist ( In my humble opinion ) . It’s silver colored ( Hence the name , “ Silver Tip “ ) aluminum tipped bullet was practically immune to any sort of deformation , whatsoever . Unfortunately , the modern sports man has deemed these bullets to be obsolescent .

Of course , unless any of you are above 60 years of age ... Chances are that most of my Dear Readers have never even HEARD of soft point cartridge heads deforming inside rifle magazines , due to recoil . Modern technological developments have fortunately relegated this issue to history books . Today , countless excellent modern soft point bullets ( Of premium quality ) exist on the market . Some of them include , but are not limited to :
> Swift A Frame
> Barnes TSX
> Rhino Solid Shank
I would personally feel confident about using ANY of these ... Against the Great Bears Of Bengal .

Below , I have provided a photograph taken from the internet ... Of a box of my beloved Winchester Silver Tip cartridges in .338 Winchester magnum .
View attachment 352012 View attachment 352013 View attachment 352011 View attachment 352010

Personally speaking ... I have dispatched 36 Great Bears Of Bengal ( Both during my life , so far ... And during my career as a professional shikaree ) . All of these brutes were laid low , with my “ Old Belgian “ : A Belgian 12 Bore double barreled side by side box lock shot gun ... Which is equipped with 3 inch magnum length chambers , extractors , double triggers and 28 inch barrels ( The left barrel is fully choked , while the right barrel is a modified choke ) . Stamped on the barrels of the grand old gun , is “ 12 Bore DBBL Made In Belgium “ .

Below , I have provided a photograph taken by myself ... Of my faithful old shikar companion , of the last 61 years .
View attachment 352014

This , I would load up with my hand loaded Eley Alphamax magnum 3 inch “ High Brass “ Spherical Ball cartridges ... And use against the Great Bears Of Bengal . While certainly not the most sophisticated fire arm / ammunition combination ...
My modest weapon NEVER once let me down , in the last 61 years ( And certainly not against any of the Great Bears Of Bengal ) .

Below , I have provided a photograph taken by myself ... Of some French 2.75 inch Viri brand “ High Brass “ 12 Bore cartridges ... Which I have recently hand loaded with 16 Bore spherical balls of hardened lead .

View attachment 352018

How ever , the blunt truth was that I had to make do with this ( Excellent ) weapon ... Because it was all that I possessed , at the time . I had to get myself with in disconcertingly close ranges of these brutes ( Always with in 30 feet , and frequently with in HALF that range ) ... In order to accurately land a 16 Bore spherical ball bullet , on a vital region of their’s . Lest I were given a choice ... I would much more prefer the pre 64 Winchester Model 70 , chambered in .338 Winchester magnum .

Coming up next ... “ Following Up Wounded Bears “ .
@Friend Ponton
Thank you for mentioning my beloved 35 Whelen it is truly an underrated cartridge. Unfortunately it suffers the same fate as the 7mm Mauser. Both are drastically under loaded by the manufacturer. It is only by handloading can it achieve its full potential. A 250 or 275 grain woodleigh PPSP should be more than enough for any of the great bears.
Thank you for your writings my friend they are truly enthralling.
Have you managed to convince friend Kawshik Rahman to start writing again.
Your humble reader and friend
Bob Nelson

Very informative and fascinating article. Thank you Major. Is their any commercial hunting in Bangladesh?

Major Khan, An excellent article as always!! Just one thing, maybe not to relevant, but that is the skull of a polar bear not a kodiak. I'll get you a picture if you want to see how that skull looks with the meat off- the .270 did quite a number on it hehe

Major Khan, An excellent article as always!! Just one thing, maybe not to relevant, but that is the skull of a polar bear not a kodiak. I'll get you a picture if you want to see how that skull looks with the meat off- the .270 did quite a number on it hehe
Why thank you so much for your kind words , Dragan . And thank you , for correcting me . I am unfortunately , only familiar with the American Black Bear . I accompanied Tobin on a shikar , for American Black Bear ... In the 1970s .
Screenshot_20200117-035936_01_01.png

Unfortunately , my knowledge about the American Kodiak Bear species ... Is rather rudimentary. I would absolutely LOVE to see the skull of the Polar Bear . It would be excellent , for making my notes . The fact that is was dispatched with a .270 Winchester calibre rifle ... Makes me even more intrigued .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg