Thank You

Well Shootist

Happy Birthday my newest friend.:cool:

Thank you very much. This site appears to have many nice people who like yourself are here for fun, camaraderie, and some knowledge that we don't have already.

I think a lot of it is that by being around like minded adventurous people we can keep our dreams alive no matter how old we are.

Thanl you friend.

Welcome to AH, Von!

That is extremely nice of you to inquire.

Thank you.

Afew years ago I got extremely damaged to the point where it was doubtful that I would live through the night. Back broken in 4 places, some internals destroyed and removed, but I got up and walked over to a guy and said, "Boy that hurt". I used up 27 units of blood and galls of other good that was being pumped into me as I unfortunately had spring a few leaks. Not bragging or complaining, just letting you know that I am damaged and can't hump the bush like I could when I was 65.

I don't need to kill anymore Capes or cats, I never want to shoot an elephant ever again,Rhino I have no desire to kill.

What I would like is to take two big Wart Hogs at long range and two big kudu and the like from an elevated position to take my targets out front a distance of no less than 500 to not greater than 1000 yards with my falling block 50 Bmg.

Doable?

Von,

Would it be a problem to post the photo of falling block rifle, 50 bmg?
I am really interested to see how it looks like.

I have read many things about hunting, and I do not remember anybody ever mentioned 50 bmg for hunting.
For me this is new thing, really!

I am sorry to hear what has happened to you, and wish you all the best to find a good deal here for your hunting dream!

I am not expert in african hunting, but possible problem in accomplishing your hunt as described, would be:
- for wathog the judgement of size of the tusks at that distance might be a problem, or a challenge
- for kudu, they are browsers prefering dense bush - sighting them at distance in the bush, would be a challenge as well.

However, some of the outfitters here might have a better idea. This was just my first thought.
I am not long range hunter, but in this case I would consider more something like oryx or springbok to hunt at that range.

Hello and thank you for your interest.

I am not very computer savvy and use a "pad" which the kids gave me that magically somehow allows me the internet wherever i go,but I will see if the kid down the street can do something like take a picture and post it

The rifle in question is painfully hand made from 4140 and correctly heat treated. It sports a Really ridiculously expensive piece of glass on top. My spotting scope is just one step below the Hubbell a n the range finder is dead on. My grandson will range me and as he is a great shot, he has not and doesn't want to shoot animals, but think it's fine that others do. My life long friend from Texas and his son with come with us and are both supurb long distance shoots. The son using the 30- 378 that he talked me out of and his father with a Chey Tac.

I was kinda hoping to be around a water supply.

They gotta drink sometime.

Von,
I think you have it all figured out!(y)

I am looking forward to see the photo of that rifle!

For "ridiculously expensive piece of glass " my guess would be something from the top line of Deon March, Night force, or Smidt & Bender?

Also the spotting scope sounds very intersting, if you could share more details about it?

I am always looking for good advice on spotting scope for F-TR class target shooting, for scoping at the targets while training.

Welcome to AH Von! Nice to have you as part of our community, really looking forward to your input.

Gee Mark,

I wish I did have this or anything else figured out, but you are kind to throw me that bone.

Yes Mark! The scope is an SB. And though a less expensive scope can be used, some friends who know a lot about glass recommended it and seeing that they are long distance shooters it would be tough to argue with them. I also have a March scope which goes up to 80 power.

My spotter/grandson says that he is thinking of using his psycho high powered Swarovski spotting binoculars.

After getting off the phone with my Texas brother he tells me that they are thinking more of a roundhouse where cat Killin, Rhino rousting, buffalo bustin, and elephant murdering along with PG slaughter is the plan of the day and that he is picking up the above and ain't taking no for an answer.

So maybe that 50 will be staying home?

Late to the party - but a hearty Welcome Aboard!

Tim

Well Tim,
Thank you and a tip of the hat.

One can never have enough friends from Texas with shooting irons.

The best to you!

Welcome to AH Von! Nice to have you on the site and we look forward to you sharing your stories!

So many nice people here to put a daily smile on ones face.....

Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross