Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA lifetime, SCI Member, Longhunters LLC
Hunted
South Africa, Germany, USA (OH, NY, VA, PA, WY)
Ok, I just got the email that our taxidermy work is done. I had the work done SA. They stated that they will pack all the trophies for shipping (at a cost....to be expected)and are ready for payment. Having never done this, I don't want to screw this up. So my question.... what is the next step in the process of getting my tropies home?....I am sure paying the taxidermist would be a good start! Shipping/shippers? Does a company like Coppersmith handle the rest of the process? Need some advice.

Lost posts...

enysse said:
Well Rick are going to ship it by ship or air....please tell them. When they have it packaged up...the shipping agent will be able to give you a few options as far as cost. Then you will have to wire money to them and the shipping process should go smoothly...but might take a while. Depends on the schedule.

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures said:
Contact Coopersmith they will do a good job assisting you.

BRICKBURN said:
Whom ever you trust with your trophies it is up to you.
Coppersmith has a subsidiary
Hunting Trophy.com Coppersmith Logistics
There job to get it form there to here.

There are companies the Taxi would typically use or have an arrangement with. You do not have to use them.
Packing can be done by Taxidermist or a Pack & Ship Company.
Freight Logistics done by a freight forwarder, Shipping Co.

As E says you will choose your method of shipping. (eg. Full Mount Elephants not best by air!)

You will get a quote to ship your crate(s) after the weight and dimensions are determined and destination, etc.

Payment List:
Pay the Taxi, Pay the Packing Co if separate, pay the freight forwarder, pay the airport fees when it lands, pay the trucking company to get it from the airport to your place, pay your wife to let you put all that stuff in the house. (Some of these may be combined but they will be aline item somewhere.

Good Luck.

PHOENIX PHIL said:
Rick,

You didn't say who the taxidermist was. The taxidermist that did mine mounted the heads mostly to the sides of the crate kind of if they were on a wall already. I thought that fairly ingenious. So you might want to ask how this is done.

As far as what to do on this side it's a matter of if you want to clear your trophies yourself. If you don't, then that's where companies like Coppersmith. They're basically in charge of the crate once it hits U.S. soil and it needs to clear USDA, USFWS and U.S. Customs. There are threads in AH archives about self clearing your trophies. It can be done and those that have done it say it's no big deal. BUT, once in awhile something goes awry and you end up spending a bit more time on it than perhaps you expected. At least that is what I've read.

I just went through this in October for the first time too and this is what I did. The trophies can only clear through certain airports, not all international airports are included. Lucky me, SkyHarbor airport in Phoenix is not on the list. The closest airport is LAX. So, I had a decision to make as to whether or not to clear the trophies myself. I decided to let someone else do it. I did not want to go over to L.A. and have it get hung up for a day or two forcing me to take off work and pay for hotels/food whatever. I tried to make up some of that however by driving to LAX in my pickup and get the trophies myself rather than having them put on a truck. It was a decent compromise in my opinion. If however I lived near one of the airports that the trophies can clear through, I would probably do it myself.

If you do decide to hire a clearing agent, this is the one I used: | Hunter International Brokerage Services, Inc. (| Hunter International Brokerage Services, Inc.)

I called several of these agents and like that one best. When I called them they were by far the most patient and personal to me. I was going through this for the first time and had the thousand questions just like you. If you do call them, ask to speak to Maria. She will talk as long as you have questions.

James.Grage said:
Get a bill and pay by wire transfer. to the shipping company and taxidermist. (2 bills)

Let your importer know that they are being shipped. (heads up)

Find transportation to get them home.

BRICKBURN said:
Rick, Funny enough, I just got my email about my second set of trophies being ready.

My series of emails:
1. Trophies ready December 2 Kotoko Taxidermy- Holiday break and packing is scheduled.
2. Trophies are being packed by Safari Cargo Systems, Jan 16
3. Trophies "uplifted" -- find out a few days later
4. Trophies in Joburg storage
5. Request for invoices - why I have to ask Taxi I don't know? Jan 20
6. Get an email from the company -Talon- who helped fix the Gemsbok affair. (He tells Safari Cargo I am capable and can handle the clearing myself. Scary that people know me in the air freight system at all. Small world.)
7. Request to Safari Cargo Systems for exact quote for air freight, dimensions and weight and provide and confirm destination. (They hate my airport because the Customs folks here have funny ideas about trophy fees being included in the Tax calculation. Another AH member victim)
8. Informed person in hospital and apology for not replying earlier. Condolences sent.
9. Invoice, exact quote from Safari Cargo - by email Jan 24
10. Call bank and tell them about CC charges
11. email Taxi and Safari Cargo the payment authorization. Jan 25
12. I await Air Weigh Bill number and plane that my crate will be arriving on.
13. I will clear the trophies upon arrival...

RickB said:
Thanks for the responses! This is giving me a better idea of how this works. I called Coppersmith yesterday and the guy was really helpful, awnsered all my questions. I am thinking I will use them for the paperwork side here in the states.

Phoenix.....taxi is Moredou in SA. I will as them how they pack them when I email them tonight with all my questions.

Brick....I take it Safari Cargo Sys is the company resonsible for shipping from SA to here? I am asking Moredou who they suggest for shipping.

Once again thanks to everyone for the info!

BRICKBURN said:
Rick, Safari Cargo Systems has been responsible for showing up at the Taxi, packing the crate, "uplifting it" (picking up) to Joburg and will put it on the plane to get it to my home airport.
I will only do the dealing with Customs here at home and what ever other fees I will get tagged with when it arrives.

enysse said:
Safari Cargo Systems is a very capable company!

BRICKBURN said:
enysse said:
Safari Cargo Systems is a very capable company!
So, far I agree.

We will let you know about the result.

Baydog said:
Brickburn, you're in Canada aren't you? I'd be interested in seeing what your total cost is for Dip Pack and shipping when all is said and done.

BRICKBURN said:
Baydog I am certainly in Canada.
As far as planes and freight go it will not really be any different than any western US destination I would bet.

For the whole shebang? I am not sure I want to add that up. Denial is a good thing.
I'll just stick with packing and shipping. The other stuff is Taxidermy work, the way I have ordered it.

Shoulder Mount Gemsbok, Eland Cape Dipped & Horns, Warthog Tusks, misc little trinkets. (Cardboard Crate)
(minus the world tour return costs that were not mine, thankfully)

$740.00 USD Air (+$420.00 USD mistaken quote) freight WDK to YYC with packing and shipping from Otavi to WDK
Volumetric mass: 82 Kg
Actual mass: ?kg
Dimensions: 1060x770x600 mm

$50.00 CDN Airport Fees on the ground here.
$0.00 CDN Tax here
This crate travelled through Otavi, Windhoek, Munich, London, YYC.

Blesbok skull, Springbok skull, 9 Springbok full hides tanned, 1 Blesbok full hide tanned (Wooden Crate)
$541.00 USD Air Freight JNG to YYC with packing and shipping from Bredenkamp to JNB
Volumetric mass: 14 kg
Actual mass: 14 kg
Dimensions: 52 cm (L) x 32 cm (W) x 32 cm (H)

$50.00 CDN Airport Fees on the ground here. (assumed)
$20.00 CDN Tax here. (assumed)

The last big shipment is still to come mid year!

If this makes you feel better or just scared I am not sure. :)

Baydog said:
Thanks Brickburn, I haven't added mine up yet and I just wanted to see if it was close as I'm in Canada too.

BRICKBURN said:
Man, don't add it up.
*If you do, destroy all evidence before your wife can see it!!*

Baydog said:
You're right, good advice! I was talking to my brother the other day about trophy fees and she was giving me the evil eye!

I got my Air Weighbill number and the crate is over the Atlantic as I write this.
I will try to clear this one myself as well.
I have been warned (by a brokerage) that the last time I cleared trophies I was very very lucky.
I'll let you know how this attempt goes.

I got my Air Weighbill number and the crate is over the Atlantic as I write this.
I will try to clear this one myself as well.
I have been warned (by a brokerage) that the last time I cleared trophies I was very very lucky.
I'll let you know how this attempt goes.

Was told mine will be enroute to US in a week, Can't wait.

Plane is three hours delayed out of London, so tomorrow it is. Always look at arrivals first, before you go to the airport. :)

The next leg.
I told you a few people said I was very very lucky last time, they were right.
This time is going to be much more painful to clear this crate for sure.

The flight's three hour delay last night means that I could not obtain the papers at the warehouse and head straight to the airport, after hours, to clear the crate. The paperwork has now hit the main office, where the "helpful" clerk faxed the papers to the inspectors, after I already said I would clear it myself.

Now I do not know whom they contacted, just an anonymous fax machine.

I was then provided the wrong phone number and spent half and hour calling various government numbers until I finally be patched through to a voice mail, on which I was asked to leave a number and they would get back to me sometime.

The crate might be inspected today or not.
Guess which offices are only open until 4 o'clock and not open on weekends!

I got a warning about storage charges already!

The last shipment was a dream in comparison. What a difference three hours can make. :)

Happened to me once too. Drove all the way to SeaTac airport when told my trophies were ready for pickup only to find the flight had been delayed. Nearly a 3.5 hour round trip but had to do it the next day again to avoid the storage charges. My few trophies from last summers trip will be arriving soon I suspect though I havent gotten shipping quotes yet. No hurry on this one anyway, I dont really care that much.

Scheduled for CFIA inspection today.
Inspector called back and I got warned about several issues.

Apparently there has been shipments with "bugs" coming in lately.
I asked from which country?; the response: "Africa". I quit asking questions right there.

I'll cross my fingers that the few tanned hides and and bleached skulls will not have been infested on the way here.

The next question:
"Do you do this often?"; Not really! I have one more shipment though.
"Well, just so you know, next wednesday we start charging for the inspections." " You got in under the wire." Except the next shipment of course.
There will now be a $25.00 fee added to your costs for the government worker to do their job. (Appreciate the heads up though)
Glad there were no tax increases in the budget!

Rick I hope your shipment is going to go better than this.

Happened to me once too. Drove all the way to SeaTac airport when told my trophies were ready for pickup only to find the flight had been delayed. Nearly a 3.5 hour round trip but had to do it the next day again to avoid the storage charges. My few trophies from last summers trip will be arriving soon I suspect though I havent gotten shipping quotes yet. No hurry on this one anyway, I dont really care that much.

Phone first and look on the arrivals schedule on line for sure. Good lessons for all of us.

Well so far I haven't gotten a response from taxidermist yet. I sent an email over a week ago with questions and haven't got anything back yet. My email likes to go into peoples spam folders without them knowing. So my dad sent them another email today. Hopefuly they will respond to his tomorrow. I sent one to safari cargo systems as well. I think they are who I will use for shipping. The story continues.....

CFIA clearance stamp on paper. No bugs.

2.5 hours all in, this time, from departure to return. A few more hours of waiting and work, making sure I got docs to support my position on taxation.

Picked up the paperwork at airport warehouse. No issues
Drove over to Customs office. Waited while the staff ignored me and finished their chat. Amazing!
Called up and I present the paperwork.
Shipment was labeled "hunting trophies". Evidently, a hot button at the local customs office. Now I know what Diamondhitch was talking about in his nightmare post about his trophies.

Going to charge GST on the Trophy Fees. Apparently that is part of their value at this office and not a cost of hunting in another country.
I tell them; "there are no trophy fees",

reply "What were they, dead at the side of the road?!"

"I don't need your sarcasm"

"If there is no value then you will be charged what values I look up! Those are seriously undervalue."

I went in armed and ready for this one.
Internet search of values of flat skins, raw and also horns and skulls.

I stopped talking at this point and handed over other documents supporting the valuation I feel was correct.
I hand over the documents supporting that these are gifts as well.

I am livid at having an insinuation that I am dishonest and going to be unfairly taxed, but know to shut my mouth at this point because nothing good is going to come out.
I am now told to sit and wait.

The crate has already been vet inspected and cleared, so I should just have to pay the taxes and away I go.

Now I am informed there has to be a review by the Environment department. To be faxed off to another office of course.
You never know when a Blesbok and Springbok might have had an emergency placement on a CITES I list. :)

Oh yeah, this delay tactic was all about the time of day. 4PM, is when all the offices close, including the warehouse for pick up of the crate.

After waiting some more, a fax reply came in. Shockingly, Environment does not want to see a Blesbok or Springbok and are willing to risk that it is a Bontebok.

I am called up to pay and I ask for an explanation of the tax assessment.
The short reply: "It is based on the valuations you provided". Nothing else offered at all.
I left the office as fast as I could with clearances in hand saying "Thank you, have a good day."

Score one for the good guys, I guess. :)

I'll open the crate and I hope I have nothing but good news to report.

Thank you for the Heads up Diamondhitch.

Rick send an email to Leonie. She was excellent and was right on the money.
Feel free to tell her that Wayne said so too.
Leonie Heydenrych <leonie@safaricargo.co.za>

Rick I just checked the trophies in the this shipment packaged and shipped though Safari Cargo.
Good wooden crate put together with screws.
Well wrapped; each skull and the horns, double wrapped actually.
Each with a moth ball inside to kill the bugs.
Moth balls inside the crate.
Each hide was individually wrapped in plastic, I assume the taxidermist but, I don't know.

Everything is great and layed out in good shape safe at home now.

Kotoko Taxidermy did a good job on the skulls and the tanning of everything.

I hope your shipment turns out as well.

Bureaucrats! Ruining the world one country at a time!

Bureaucrats! Ruining the world one country at a time!

Got to love it!

Brick....thanks for the input, lots of great advice! I sent them an email already this afternoon. I will give them some time to wake up over there and see what I get in the a.m. If nothing, then I will shoot Leonie an email in the morning.

Rick I just checked the trophies in the this shipment packaged and shipped though Safari Cargo.
Good wooden crate put together with screws.
Well wrapped; each skull and the horns, double wrapped actually.
Each with a moth ball inside to kill the bugs.
Moth balls inside the crate.
Each hide was individually wrapped in plastic, I assume the taxidermist but, I don't know.

Everything is great and layed out in good shape safe at home now.

Kotoko Taxidermy did a good job on the skulls and the tanning of everything.

I hope your shipment turns out as well.

Sounds good!
I will get a crate coming from Kotoko Taxidermy a few weeks from now:)
Very much looking forward to it!

Sounds good!
I will get a crate coming from Kotoko Taxidermy a few weeks from now:)
Very much looking forward to it!

Hope your trophies turn out as well as mine.

They just happened to be on the route of our drive toward the airport.
I looked them up and dropped off the hides and skulls.
I did not do too much research and I was willing to take the risk as these trophies were not my dream list.

Turned out they were Taxidermy Association of South Africa (TASA) members and on the executive.
They had the tannery and promised the work in a reasonable time and the work in the show room was good.

They teased me about my massive Springbok. 5 inches.
The hide was the trophy on this one. :)

Blesbok hide is decorating the floor of the office. Skull and horns to be on the wall soon.

Quick update. Wire transfer to Moredou taxidermy is done. I will be using safari cargo systems for the shipper. Brick, the guy who responded to my email from them was Andrew. He has been a great help. I have been emailing back and forth with him a lot. Responds very quickly! They recomended Fauna & Flora as the clearing agent. I will probably use them but haven't decided yet. Still doing research on them.

Hopefully I will have my tropies soon!! .....

Well got word today after my months export permit problems that my trophies are leaving SA as I speak. Going Delta from Joberg to Atlanta. Atl for a week (usda holds them) then on to JFK. Fauna and Flora pick them up for the rest of the government paperwork. Then they will be put on a truck to my house. Hopefully less than a month to go.....fingers crossed!!

Look forward to the pictures of your trophies!

Here's hoping.

Well got word today after my months export permit problems that my trophies are leaving SA as I speak. Going Delta from Joberg to Atlanta. Atl for a week (usda holds them) then on to JFK. Fauna and Flora pick them up for the rest of the government paperwork. Then they will be put on a truck to my house. Hopefully less than a month to go.....fingers crossed!!

Why does USDA hold them? I have always picked up my stuff within a day of getting to the air cargo warehouse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg