Talk to me about the 450/400 NE double

Good points.

One could stretch the 404 @2300 to 200 yards if need be. To what range is the 450/400 good for? “I’ve read 100 yards and in”

As long as you treat it as a single shot with a scope then the 450/400 would be good to 200+ yards as well. @cal pappas has shot game with his at those yardages with his.

Cool. Good to know there’s is capability there. I’d probably leave it with iron sights or maybe a reflex sight.

I have ALWAYS wanted a double and today I found one. It’s a Heym 88b made in 2014, 99% condition.

The 450/400 is not the ballistic equivalent of a 404 Jeffery as it maxes around 2150-2200 FPS.

What’s everyone’s opinion on the caliber?
I have had that caliber recommended to me by some pros. They said good velocity and a bit less recoil than some others. I would not hesitate to own this caliber.
Get it and let’s go buffalo hunting!
Philip

I don't have extensive experience, but I do have a .450-400 double. Love it. It has done what was expected when I took it hunting. Fairly easy to shoot well. Only used it on buffalo and elk so far, but I'm satisfied. I don't crave anything bigger. If the stars align and this damn virus goes away, it's coming elephant hunting.

Since you have found this specific double, then the question I think you asked is whether it is worth going for? If it fits you, hey, it is a Heym, it will make a great DG and close PG companion. If the conversation has moved on to 'what else', then also consider the 375Flanged. You will have a lighter, more manageable and finesseful double out to longer distances for PG as well. You can fit a QD scope, or a red dot to do the longer stuff. Heym makes this in their new 89B, that is exactly what I am going for.

My wife, a Zimbabwe professional hunter has over 10years D.G. experience using her Heym 88b .450-.400. It has never failed her on any game hunted. She also uses the .450-400 brother, a .404J in a custom CZ (with Trijicon red dot). Both get the job done for her. She would very much like to own a Heym 89b in .470 Nitro, but only if she could go to Germany for a proper fitting.

Her .375H&H M-70 rarely sees daylight, but will never be sold!

As long as you treat it as a single shot with a scope then the 450/400 would be good to 200+ yards as well. @cal pappas has shot game with his at those yardages with his.
Depends who did the regulation, Heym should be parallel to infinity especially in medium and smaller bores

Since you have found this specific double, then the question I think you asked is whether it is worth going for? If it fits you, hey, it is a Heym, it will make a great DG and close PG companion. If the conversation has moved on to 'what else', then also consider the 375Flanged. You will have a lighter, more manageable and finesseful double out to longer distances for PG as well. You can fit a QD scope, or a red dot to do the longer stuff. Heym makes this in their new 89B, that is exactly what I am going for.
Well the dealer offers their own warranty and fitting. Very reputable company that has been mentioned on AH numbers of times.

My offer was declined so I will be continuing to look for a different double for the right $. May just offer the Heym Express I’ve been drooling over too.
My wife, a Zimbabwe professional hunter has over 10years D.G. experience using her Heym 88b .450-.400. It has never failed her on any game hunted. She also uses the .450-400 brother, a .404J in a custom CZ (with Trijicon red dot). Both get the job done for her. She would very much like to own a Heym 89b in .470 Nitro, but only if she could go to Germany for a proper fitting.

Her .375H&H M-70 rarely sees daylight, but will never be sold!

That’s great to hear! I’ve been reading more about the 450/400 and I think when I get a double that will be the caliber of choice for me. I’ll continue to look and be ready when the right one presents itself.

I also own a 404... we had some issues at first but our relationship is better now!

The farthest shot I have taken on game with my 450/400 is 75M on my roan, the hippo was 48M. I regularly shoot steel at 200 with it. As with anything it is about shot placement. The big question is what distance can the hunter hit the vitals of the animal being hunted? a .410 hole in the heart and lungs will bring the animal down quickly. My self imposed limitation in 150M with my double. But I prefer to put in the work and get under 50. You have to know what your limit is and be willing to pass on a shot that would be easy with a scoped 404.

If my memory serves me @cal pappas took some of his plains game at 200+ with his 450/400. If you look in the hunt reports he has a detailed report.

I have ALWAYS wanted a double and today I found one. It’s a Heym 88b made in 2014, 99% condition.

The 450/400 is not the ballistic equivalent of a 404 Jeffery as it maxes around 2150-2200 FPS.

Heartiest congratulations @Andrew Short
The .450/400 Nitro Express used to be a standard calibre for hunting Royal Bengal tigers and Asian sloth bears during the British colonial era ( although it was too light for hunting Gaur ) . It shall also do incredibly well for African Cape buffalo . You could not do better than a Heym Model 88B ( among box-lock double rifles ) . What ammunition is yours regulated for ? Hornady Dangerous Game Series or Norma Professional Hunter ?

The .450/400 Nitro Express used to be a standard calibre for hunting Royal Bengal tigers and Asian sloth bears during the British colonial era ( although it was too light for hunting Gaur ) . It shall also do incredibly well for African Cape buffalo . You could not do better than a Heym Model 88B ( among box-lock double rifles ) . What ammunition is yours regulated for ? Hornady Dangerous Game Series or Norma Professional Hunter ?
@Professor Mawla Unfortunately my offer on the rifle was declined. I’m hopeful to find one soon though. The rifle was regulated with Hornady DGS/DGX.

For what it is worth, my Simson & Co Suhl .405 WCF DR regulates 300 grain Hornady at 2250 fps and 400 grain Woodies at 2050 fps.
Cal discusses this in one of his books and it is true for my rifle!

Naturally, my Winchester 1895 .405 WCF shoots both those bullets well :):):):) I do like the .405 . With my 1895, I can raise the velocity of 400 grain Woodies to 2150 fps. However it killed my Cape Buff easily as is, so,,, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Maybe NF solids on an ele?

Depends who did the regulation, Heym should be parallel to infinity especially in medium and smaller bores
Heym guarantee a 2" group at 50 m in their literature-extrapolate that to 4 " at 100 m. I dare say that most are considerably better than that - but parallel to infinity ?? Maybe Harry Potters double wand is capable of that :LOL:

I thought only makes factory ammo for the 450-400 3 inch?

I have it in Capius 450-400 NE and love it. You can shoot it all day and it will take any animal on this earth

I should preface my statement by saying I am not a DR expert.

I have both 450/400 NE 3” and 450 NE 3 1/4”. They both make statements when I shoot these DRs but I don’t notice any significant recoil differences. I know the terminal ballistics are different between the two but I am sure they both can be lethal as long as I do my part.

So if the Heym 88B in 450/400 fits you well and you like it then you should get it unless your main quarry is an elephant.

Regards,
I am hunting elephant with mine this next year and no concerns whatsoever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!