ss.globalrescue.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Grand Slam Club/Ovis
Take Your Best Shot Global Rescue Announces The 2021 Photo Contest

photo-contest-image.jpg

It’s been a year-plus of extraordinary travel due to the pandemic.

We’d love to see what you’ve been up to. Global Rescue’s 2021 Photo Contest celebrates your resilient spirit and enduring strength through images of your travels anytime between January 2020 and October 2021. The contest begins October 1 and is open to all: Global Rescue members and nonmembers.

“Choosing the theme of the Global Rescue 2021 Photo Contest was easy. Everyone was impacted by the pandemic, some more severely than others. What came as no surprise to me and many others is that travelers were, and are, eager to fight back to regain their family vacations, adventure travels, and business trips. The flexibility and toughness demonstrated by travelers and the travel and tourism industry can only be defined as resilient. That’s why we selected ‘resilience’ — a word meaning strength, spirit, courage, character, flexibility, hutzpah, or determination – as the theme for the 2021 Global Rescue Photo Contest,” said Dan Richards, CEO at Global Rescue.

There are four photo categories:

• Togetherness (socializing with family and friends once again)
  • Landscape (tropical, metro, nature, architectural, seasonal, etc.)
  • Outdoor activity (in-action shot of a high-altitude climb, road trip, hike, etc.)
  • Animal travel companion (furry, feathered, or reptilian)
Global-Rescue-2021-Photo-Contest.gif

Entries will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. (EST) on October 31, 2021. Judging will take place between November 1 and 10, and winners will be announced in November.

Winners will receive a 7-day or 14-day Global Rescue travel protection membership and an Osprey backpack filled with Global Rescue Safe Travel partner travel gear from our contest sponsors: The Fly Shop, U.S. Ski & Snowboard, Wilderness Medical Society, Luggage Forward, Ed Viesturs, and PolarExplorers.

The grand prize winner will also receive a Helios fly rod outfit from Orvis (value $1,457), a Bivy two-way satellite communication device (value $360), and an annual Global Rescue membership (value $329).

Entries will be reviewed by our esteemed judges, including:

• Chelsea Bakos-Kallgren, Global Rescue’s graphic designer. Previous to her work at Global Rescue, her design talents shaped the brands of Simon Pearce, CBRE Group, National Park Service, Shire Digital, and Cloudbank Inc. She’s won numerous awards for design: print, digital and best in show.
  • Mark Edward Harris, a photographer who has visited and photographed in more than 100 countries. His work has appeared in Vanity Fair, LIFE, Time, Newsweek, Conde Nast Traveler, National Geographic Traveler, Forbes, AFAR, Vogue Brazil, Elle Canada, Esquire Japan, Harper’s Bazaar, Italian GQ, Marie Claire, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The London Times Travel Magazine and The Los Angeles Times Sunday Magazine.
  • Lydia Schrandt, the senior photo editor, and Readers’ Choice production manager for USA TODAY 10Best and serves as the first chair of the Editors Council of the Society of American Travel Writers. Her work has appeared in Travel+, USA Today, San Francisco Chronicle, Huffington Post, and others.
  • Paul Shoul, photographer for GoNomad.com. His work has been published in hundreds of newspapers and magazines around the globe, including The New York Times, Boston Globe, USA Today, The Washington Post, Popular Science, and National Geographic Traveler, to name just a few.
  • Zach and Tara Brose, travel influencers behind the brand The League Collective. The couple has captured and created content across 47 different countries on behalf of The Ritz-Carlton, Marriott Bonvoy, Four Seasons, Turkish Airlines, and Waldorf Astoria.
The Global Rescue photo contest began in 2013. Photo entries spotlight some of the amazing expeditions and journeys Global Rescue members undertake each year.

“Serving as the world’s leading rescue and evacuation provider for mountaineers, explorers, researchers, adventure, business and leisure travelers since 2004, Global Rescue provides peace of mind as they travel the world,” Richards said.

Click Here for More Contest Details.

Meet The Esteemed Judges Of The Global Rescue 2021 Photo Contest
Our-Judges.jpg

It has been quite a year and a half, where your mettle has been tried, tested, and maybe a little too tapped out at moments. That’s why the theme of the Global Rescue 2021 Photo Contest — accepting submissions now until October 31 — is resilience. Think of it as a tip of our hat to you for your admirable adaptability and tenacity during this unprecedented time.

In addition to rounding up a plethora of prizes (including a free Global Rescue membership) for the top travel-inspired image submissions, we’ve also rallied an expert panel of pro photographers to serve as contest judges. No matter how raw or how refined your own talent may be, these visual artists know how to spot a sensational snap.

Mark Edward Harris: From Talk Show to Travel Documentarian​

_Mark-headshot.jpg

Remember the Merv Griffin Show? Los Angeles-based Mark Edward Harris certainly does: He started his professional photography career doing stills for the iconic talk show, as well as other television and movie companies.

But it wasn’t until the show ended in 1986 that he pursued his true love – travel and documentary photography – setting off on a four-month trek across the Pacific and throughout Southeast Asia, China, and Japan. The images he captured on that trip kick-started a new career path – one that has garnered dozens of awards for his stunning documentary photography style.

Harris’s assignments have sent him globetrotting to more than 100 countries across six continents, with his editorial work appearing in all the top travel magazines, from Condé Nast Traveler and National Geographic Traveler to AFAR and The London Sunday Times Travel Magazine.

Mark-Edward-Harris.gif

• Why Photography? “I’m fascinated by the concept that a still camera can freeze a moment in time. That magical concept has never left me. It ties in well with my love of history.” (Harris’s master’s degree is in Pictorial/Documentary History, a special major he created.)
  • Favorite Destination Captured? “I have so many favorite places for different reasons. My new book, The People of the Forest, about orangutans, brought me deep into the forests of Borneo, which is an incredible place to experience. I’ve also done three editions of a book on onsen (which translates to “hot springs” in Japanese) and always find new ones to add every time I’m in Japan. It’s hard to beat the meditative beauty of a Japanese hot spring.”
  • Next Destination Traveling To? “I came to Japan to cover the Olympics and Paralympics and am going back up to the Tōhoku region to document the tsunami recovery efforts along its eastern coast. It’s an ongoing project I’ve covered since the disaster in 2011.”

Lydia Schrandt: The All-Around Content Creator​

Lydia-Head-Shot-1.jpg

Like many, Lydia Schrandt’s love of photography started young. In fact, when it came to family vacations, she doesn’t remember a time when she didn’t have some sort of camera in her hand.

“When I was in college, I picked up my dad’s old Minolta SLR and started pursuing photography more seriously,” said the Houston-based photographer, writer, and editor, who, now, has traveled to more than 40 countries in Europe, Asia, and North and South America. “That passion only accelerated when I moved abroad in 2008 and began to travel more frequently.”

Today, she’s a regular contributor for USA TODAY 10Best and serves as the first chair of the Editors Council of the Society of American Travel Writers. Her work has appeared in Draft, Time Out Beijing, Travel+, USA TODAY, San Francisco Chronicle, among many others.

Lydia-Schrandt.gif

• Why Photography? “I love that multiple photographers can shoot the same thing, and each will capture something different and bring a bit of themselves to the image.”
  • Favorite Destination Captured? “The Northwest Passage in Arctic Canada. The landscapes in this part of the world are unbelievably gorgeous, and since the sun never gets very high in the sky, the light is almost always good. The golden hour seems to last for three to four hours.” 
  • Next Destination Traveling To? “I had a self-guided walking tour of the Kumano Kodo Trail in Japan planned that got canceled due to Covid. When I finally get to do it, I'm looking forward to capturing the redwood landscapes and small cultural details of this lesser-known region.” 

Paul Shoul: The Off-The-Beaten-Path Explorer​

paul-shoul-headshot.jpg

A road trip with his girlfriend from Boston to Baja, Mexico was all it took to point a then-19-year-old Paul Shoul down the career path of travel photography.

“I brought my father’s old camera and 10 rolls of film, and I photographed the desert and people we met along the way,” said the Northampton, Massachusetts-based photographer. He loved the process of making images so much, once back home, he enrolled in a photography class at the University of Massachusetts. “The professor thought ‘I had something’ and took me under her wing. I never looked back.” 

Thirty years later, Shoul still continues to travel – just now it’s on a global scale as a photographer and staff writer for GoNomad.com, featuring off-the-beaten-path travel articles from around the world. His work has also been published in hundreds of major newspapers and magazines, including The New York Times, Boston Globe, USA Today, The Washington Post, Popular Science, and National Geographic Traveler, to name just a few.

Paul-Shoul.gif

• Why Photography? “Photography makes me more aware of the world. In my lectures about travel photography, I often say that ‘it does not matter what camera you are looking through, it matters what you are looking at.’ To make great images, you have to be a student of life: how people interact with each other and the environment, what it feels and sounds like, and how the light moves through it.”
  • Favorite Destination Captured? “Overall, I’d have to say my favorite place to photograph was Greenland. It is so different and challenging. There is a stark beauty to the landscape, and the Inuit people are some of the toughest and warmest people I have ever met.”
  • Next Destination Traveling To? “Asturias in northwest Spain, an under-the-radar destination known for its rugged hidden beaches, colorful fishing villages, green landscapes, and high mountain peaks. It will be my first trip in the year and a half since the pandemic grounded me. I can’t wait to get back on the road again.”

Chelsea Bakos-Kallgren: The Graphic Designer with a Photographer’s Eye​

Chelsea_headshot.jpg

While photography may be more of a side hobby for Chelsea Bakos-Kallgren, as Global Rescue’s head of design, she certainly knows a thing or two about the visual arts. In fact, prior to her work at Global Rescue, her design talents have contributed to the brands of Simon Pearce, CBRE Group, The National Park Service, and many others.

Now, when she’s not sourcing imagery for social content, designing a landing page or various collateral that fuel our company’s marketing machine, you can usually find her hiking up a mountainside – either locally near her home in Sharon, Vermont or beyond, having trekked through the Grand Canyon, Arches National Park, the U.K.’s Brecon Beacons National Park and more.

“When we travel, I always take my FM2 film camera with me,” said Bakos-Kallgren. “Having a finite number of exposures makes me slow down and be more thoughtful of each composition.”

Travel-photography-from-Chelsea-Bakkos.gif

• Why Graphic Design? “I love the way design has a defined goal. At times, I’ve felt directionless with my art and the process of design gives me that direction. Throughout the entire process, I need to be conscious of who I’m speaking to and what I want them to take away, then balance that with visual interest and innovation. It’s that intersection of art and psychology I never stop being fascinated by.”
  • Favorite Design Project Ever Worked On? “I really used to love working on a series of illustrations for a property in the Boston Seaport called Fan Pier. Each month, to advertise the venue’s regular events, I would make posters and screen displays in the style of French illustrator, Malika Favre. It was a wonderful opportunity to be creative and spend time drawing.”
  • Next Destination Traveling To? “In January 2020, my wife and I had a grand plan to visit friends in London and then hop over to Italy and stay at a villa in the countryside, shopping at local markets and taking cooking classes during our stay. Obviously, the pandemic threw a wrench into that, but we’re definitely going to resurrect this plan – it’s just a matter of when.”

About the Global Rescue Photo Contest​

The Global Rescue photo contest began in 2013. Photo entries spotlight some of the amazing expeditions and journeys Global Rescue members undertake each year.

“Serving as the world’s leading rescue and evacuation provider for mountaineers, explorers, researchers, adventure, business and leisure travelers since 2004, Global Rescue provides peace of mind as they travel the world,” said Dan Richards, CEO at Global Rescue.

Learn more about Global Rescue's 2021 Photo Contest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross