sxs shotguns: 20 vs 12 for game?

How did you like the rizzini? The gun I’m considering is from them.
They were o/u as said...they were lovely guns....kicking myself a bit as when stopped taking part in the shoot...it was a private one...got Paul to sell them...but not beating myself as much as couple of my double rifles that went.....

They were o/u as said...they were lovely guns....kicking myself a bit as when stopped taking part in the shoot...it was a private one...got Paul to sell them...but not beating myself as much as couple of my double rifles that went.....
This is what I’m looking at.

Mmm...all those pheasant...ducks and odd goose can't have been paying attention then when I shot them with pair of rizzini 20 bore o/u with 26 inch barrels...my favourite length...in England in shoot I used to be in.....
If you can shoot a short barrel as well as a long barrel, then you are a better shot than I. It can certainly be done, but I find that using a longer barrel especially on smaller bore shotguns to increase my hits without costing me too much in weight or maneuverability.

It’s not so much that I want a compromise gun. I just thought the option of being able to use it for waterfowl/turkey would be nice. I already have a shotgun for those anyway.

The thing is that any gun I buy has to be proofed for steel and a lot of the high end fixed choke guns are not. Or rather that’s the impression I get.

I wasn’t clear, my apologies. I wasn’t suggesting that you buy a British gun, but that you look at their design specs as the basis for the gun you are selecting. There are very fine guns made at lower prices than the British trade. I would not fuss too much about steel proof. I’ve taken a lot of ducks with bismuth.

If only one gun, a 12 can do everything a 20 can and pattern better. If the options were more open, the easy choice is a 16. Best of both worlds. A 6.5 lb 12 gauge is just about perfect for most things though, I believe. From dove, to grouse to mallards, a 70mm chambered 12 can handle most tasks in my opinion.

I wasn’t clear, my apologies. I wasn’t suggesting that you buy a British gun, but that you look at their design specs as the basis for the gun you are selecting. There are very fine guns made at lower prices than the British trade. I would not fuss too much about steel proof. I’ve taken a lot of ducks with bismuth.
What is your impression of the shotgun I linked in post 22?

Oh, by the way, I have shot several wild turkey with my .308 while hunting deer. That is legal in Texas and never has put a dent in the turkey population.

As you may have noticed, my dedicated turkey gun is a 12 gauge with a .22 Hornet rifle barrel topped off with a scope that allow fast range and barrel selection . The Hornet is good for turkey out to 150 yard, but 75 -100 yards is my typical kill shot. The Hornet does very little meat damage. Same range limit for bobcat, coyote, crows and other such varmints.

BTW, I also have a .45-70 barrel insert that shoots 300 grain bullets into 6 inch groups at 100 yards - just fine for most woods deer.
Sort of a survival/camp gun rifle.

I have been upland bird hunting with my dogs for a long time. I own 12, 16, and 20 gauge SxS guns - game guns. Usually I take a 16 or a 20 hunting with me. I like lightweight game guns. Turkey and waterfowl are an entirely different question.

Two prairie chickens and my 16 bore Fox...

Prairie chickens and Fox copy.jpg

What is your impression of the shotgun I linked in post 22?

Far too light for accurate shooting on longer targets IMO. this would be an excellent gun for grouse/woodcock in tight cover. It will really struggle on longer shots, simply too difficult to control. perhaps look at it in the 16 or 12 with 30” tubes?

Last edited:
Far too light for accurate shooting on longer targets IMO. this would be an excellent hunt for grouse/woodcock in tight cover. It will really struggle on longer shots, simply too difficult to control. perhaps look at it in the 16 or 12 with 30” tubes?
Keep in mind that the 20g in the article is lighter than the 12 which is 6.4lbs (converted from kg) based on the website. Unfortunately I don’t think they parse the weights for the 28” vs the 30”.

Far too light for accurate shooting on longer targets IMO. this would be an excellent gun for grouse/woodcock in tight cover. It will really struggle on longer shots, simply too difficult to control. perhaps look at it in the 16 or 12 with 30” tubes?
A lightweight game gun is an demanding mistress. When I decided to get serious about shooting lightweight SxS game guns, I sold all my target guns and focused (with my coach) on lightweight guns only for about 5 years. I found that they require a far different approach/skill set than traditional clay target guns.

I shoot over pointing dogs (setters) so my average shot is well within 30 yards - often within 25 yards. The instinctive approach with a lightweight gun works well at these ranges. For shooting pigeons and doves (with lots of high incomers) I do better with my 29-1/2" MX20.

For jumping up pheasants or similar, a light 20 carried at the ready will take more birds than a heavy 12 - and tired arms. My experience, anyway. And even 3" 1.25 Oz 20 ga loads don't recoil in field conditions.

Man was ment to have more than one shotgun, IMO. Best to pick the right tool for the job.

This is what I’m looking at.

Tried couple of times but seems gunsamerica won't load over here....

53029_600x400.jpg

Dang, If I had known how complex this shotgun game is, I might still be shooting birds with my Daisy BB gun.
Bu my Dad just gave my brothers and me an old 20 gauge Parker, a lecture on safety, and turned us loose. It was not long before I was bringing in birds to clean and eat.
The only shooting lesson I ever had was years later and it was the best technique to break a clay launched straight up (probably needed because wild birds did not fly that way).

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried couple of times but seems gunsamerica won't load over here....
I borrowed some photos and and excerpt from the article. I’ll share a link to the fair website as well in a separate post.

1630160741397.jpeg

1630160763906.jpeg

The Iside I tested is manufactured similarly to its pricier, if not somewhat prettier sister the Iside Prestige, but without quite as many upscale cosmetics and with a few differences in features. According to FAIR, the Iside I tested was a lower-cost base model. With this model, you get a shotgun at a price point you won’t lose sleep over if you are taking afield, where it may get the occasional weather or brush abuse. It is available in 12-, 16-, 20-, 28-gauge and .410. There’s an option for whatever your heart desires.
SXS-Shotgun-2.jpg

SPECS

• Type: Side-by-side, breechloading shotgun
  • Capacity: 2 rds.
  • Bore: 20 gauge; 3-in.
  • Barrel Length: 28 in.
  • Overall Length: 45.5 in.
  • Weight: 5 lbs., 8 oz.
  • Stock: Oil finished
  • Sights: Silver bead
  • MSRP: $1,450

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for a 20. They are just sweet. Although a 12 is more universal, you really do need multiple double barrel shotguns anyway. And you're young yet so whichever you choose, you end up with the other and a 16 and 28 also;)

Take a look at the CZ offerings sometime if you want a nice functional double at a reasonable cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross