Swivels for HS Canvas Sling

Reaction score
Hunted
USA
Good Evening,

I’m trying to figure out which swivels are right ones to use for a canvas sling for the HS. I noticed some of you have this set up and wondering if you have any issues with it scratching the gun or know of any swivels that won’t scratch the gun.

I contacted Trader Keith and he told me I have 3 options.

1- Hook Swivels - This will scratch the gun.

2- Sling by Westley Richards with sewn in swivels
(Not too sure if Rigby rifle with WR sling seems right)

3- a silent sling by Rigby.

Keith said that his custom swivels would scratch the gun.

We use Trader Keith slings on our Rigby HS and London Best using all metal QD swivels. They have not scratched the rifles.

Safe shooting

Els & Co. offer two rifle slings without metal swivels, one leather and one canvas. Both are available from @African Sporting Creations and attach in this manner...

1693209817664.png

Both pieces are lovely and will look perfectly at home on a Rigby HS. Personally, I prefer the leather.
1693209718194.png

1693209747554.png

I am in the same camp as @SFRanger7GP using a trader Keith's Sling on standard swivels. If I use a sling I use standard swivels. It fits sloppy but is secure, I had an Els and Co thong sling on my HS when I first purchased it a few years back. The leather thong snapped as I was climbing into a deer stand and the HS took a tumble.

I am in the same camp as @SFRanger7GP using a trader Keith's Sling on standard swivels. If I use a sling I use standard swivels. It fits sloppy but is secure, I had an Els and Co thong sling on my HS when I first purchased it a few years back. The leather thong snapped as I was climbing into a deer stand and the HS took a tumble.
I had 2 silent slings by Rigby and sold them for that reason. If one broke and my rifle slammed into the ground the "silence" would be broken by my screaming bilingual filth at levels that would adversely affect global climate change. :LOL:

Safe hunting

I only offered the Els & Co. sling as an alternative to preserve the finish as @Hermes requested. I would not want to drop any rifle, regardless of it's value due to a piece of leather breaking. IMO - If you can afford a Ferrari, you shouldn't complain about burning off the tires every now and then. A replacement sling is relatively inexpensive compared to the repairs to the rifle if a sling were neglected or it's poor condition overlooked.

My personal preference is for the Murray Leather A-1 sling. I called Dick and asked him to put on a set of Talon sling swivels instead of the ones he uses because I like how quiet they are. He obliged me, although did give me a minor ration for where the Talon slings are made because it's not in the US. Also want to add that the adjustment is incredibly simple, easy to use, quiet and look like they belong on an African safari.
1693234939952.png

I like a good canvas sling with standard detachable swivels. I would prefer that they did not have buckles for adjustment. At FSC this year I bought a rubber sling but have not tried it yet.

I only offered the Els & Co. sling as an alternative to preserve the finish as @Hermes requested. I would not want to drop any rifle, regardless of it's value due to a piece of leather breaking. IMO - If you can afford a Ferrari, you shouldn't complain about burning off the tires every now and then. A replacement sling is relatively inexpensive compared to the repairs to the rifle if a sling were neglected or it's poor condition overlooked.

My personal preference is for the Murray Leather A-1 sling. I called Dick and asked him to put on a set of Talon sling swivels instead of the ones he uses because I like how quiet they are. He obliged me, although did give me a minor ration for where the Talon slings are made because it's not in the US. Also want to add that the adjustment is incredibly simple, easy to use, quiet and look like they belong on an African safari.
View attachment 553793
I am pretty good at PMCS'ng my kit. I see it as a design flaw. I have hunted my HS pretty hard with others who hunt theirs pretty hard also. Most if not all fellow HS owner I personally have hunted with have switched to standard swivels. I am sure they work wonderfully for others.

I have a silent sling and was always paranoid with it breaking during hunts as mentioned above. QD looks like the way to go. On your HS does it take Euro Swivel 7/8 or 1”?

On the HS, I use 1", American, from Trader keith's if I affix a sling. They fit loose on the barrel eye but secure.

Have any of you tried a European 1”? I contacted Rigby and they said 1” UK but would that be the same as European or is it it’s own thing? Hopefully fitting more snug than the loose American.

Have any of you tried a European 1”? I contacted Rigby and they said 1” UK but would that be the same as European or is it it’s own thing? Hopefully fitting more snug than the loose American.
I have tried every QD swivel I can find, and they are all a bit loose in the oversized holes on the sling eyelets for Rigby rifles. They were designed for the silent sling. It is a small annoyance that I have gotten past. I cannot hear any rattling, even with my hearing aids. :LOL: Also, I think Trader Keith's slings look classy on our Rigby's.

Safe hunting

Trader Keith slings have two rubber threads running the length of the sling. That keeps them from sliding around like the Els % Co. sling. It is a world of difference. I have no use for the traditional silent sling. That bit of boot lace leather will eventually break. I use standard 1" slings with no issue on my HS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jburkholder1

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double