Swift A Frame 180 in 300 Win Mag

Alaska

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Who has a favorite 300 Win Mag handload with the 180gr Swift A frame ?
Just received a box of Swift A Frames to load in my 300 WM.

A219FCD8-D2AE-4FCF-AC3E-0C2D816A1AA6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like those bullets how are they at distance

The Swift manual shows IMR-4831 as having the lowest SD for 300 WM and 180 gr SAF. 66 grs gives 2707 fps and 71 grs gives just under 3000 fps. Test barrel was 24 inch and 1-10 twist.

I have loaded the 300 WM for my son-in-law and played with MagPro and Alliant Power Pro 4000-MR (because I had these powders available) and obtained good results. I've been rationing my H-4350, but I find it one of the easiest powders to get good results quickly.

Yes IMR 4831 my favorite powder with 175/180 in 300 Win Mag.
70.5 grains

Last edited:
I use all the 4350's (IMR, Accurate and Hodgdon) in my all 300 win mags. These three powders, all start within 1 to 2 grains of each other and reach max also in that 1 to 2 grain range. Velocities are very close as are groups and there is even very little variation in the zero.

I see very little difference with these three powders regarding performance. That being said, while these powders are very close in performance they are NOT the same. Begin all loads at starting levels and work up slowly.

Of course the real problem today is finding the stuff! Working up loads with all three of the 4350's brands gives you much more flexibility in finding powder in these crazy times, without much difference in load performance or zero.

The slower powders like the 4831's, will give you a velocity edge, but I have found the Extreme velocities spreads are much closer with the 4350's. They also burn cleaner in my rifles.

The Swift A-Frame is an excellent bullet you should receive excellent results in the Win Mag at all ranges and on game up to elk even moose under the right conditions.

This bullet is also an excellent choice for African Plains.

At distance the above bullet was taken from moose from a 300 yard shot.
The 4350 powder a proven performer especially IMR 4350 on my shelf. IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 excellent in 300 Win Mag with 165/180 bullets highly recommended.

That was a good shot Alaska, and from the picture the Swift performed as we would expect. The one thing about all the different "partition" bullets is that back half can also give us a performance closer to a solid. Of course the monolithics like Barnes perform similar.

I agree any good reloading bench will have the 4350's and the 4831's. I just hope the days when we can walk into even a small shop carrying reloading supplies, and buy them in quantity at a reasonable price will soon return.

That was a good shot Alaska, and from the picture the Swift performed as we would expect. The one thing about all the different "partition" bullets is that back half can also give us a performance closer to a solid. Of course the monolithics like Barnes perform similar.

I agree any good reloading bench will have the 4350's and the 4831's. I just hope the days when we can walk into even a small shop carrying reloading supplies, and buy them in quantity at a reasonable price will soon return.

I am afraid those days are either gone or quite a way into the future.

I am afraid those days are either gone or quite a way into the future.
They will return Our Government is scared of the biggest armed Army in the world the American people ! Let’s Go Brandon ! This Administration is sinking like the Titanic ! The more I listen and watch the more I believe the 2020 was stolen from Trump.

4831 is great for 180 grain bullets. Try 77 grains and see if you group well without blowing primers. I like monolithic bullets for Africa and cup/core for whitetail and Dall Sheep in Alaska.

Yes weight retention was excellent with this bullet. Swift bullets are quickly gaining ground on my beloved Nosler Accubonds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg