Survey: Your Favorite .30 Caliber

@Doug Hamilton
Mate Bob would use a 243 on anything, even paper.
I was at the range yesterday and my mate @peter Who wanted to know if I wanted the last ever shot out of his 243 as he is selling it. ( He bought a real rifle in 25-06).
I politely declined and said NEVER WILL A USELESS 243 BE SEEN IN MY HANDS.
Bob
I knew that, Bob! I was just having some fun!

Merry Christmas to you mate.

Cheers,

Doug

.300 Winchester Mag

I think this debate depends quite a bit on where your base line assumptions have been formed and in what culture your hunting habits were developed in.
I grew up in Canada. Western Canada to be precise. I was born in the middle of the last century, when The most common, widely used, good for "anything" cartridge was the .303 British. It was the normal baseline of adequate performance for the average hunter in Saskatchewan who pursued whitetail deer and mule deer, elk, black bear and moose. Nobody in their right mind with any experience would say the .303 was inadequate or a poor choice for those game animals. I laugh when reading of people who think they "need" something bigger for moose. Millions of practical examples in the field attested to the effectiveness of the .303. All my hunting mentors started out with .303 "sporter" rifles, actually just cut down military Lee Enfield SMLE's. I shot my first game animal with one too.
About the time I started hunting, the "new" .308 Winchester replaced the .303 with the following benefits. Better accuracy, slightly improved power, the same 150-180 gr. bullet weights in common hunting use, while chambered in more modern, handier and overall better and more accurate rifles. And cheap military ammo was widely available for practise and varmint blasting.
There was nothing not to like, and everything to like about the .308.
I suspect that same fondness for the .308 in Canada translates at least in part to many hunters in Great Britain and Australia and New Zealand and South Africa.
Nearly the same sequence of events could be said about the USA, substituting the .30-40 Krag for the .303. Same-Same performance in the field. But the Krag dropped away much earlier, and then the USA replaced the Krag with the .30-06.
I like the .30-06 a lot, and have a couple .30-06 rifles that I enjoy hunting with. But "better" than the .308 is certainly debatable. I don't buy into the argument that bigger is always better. Sometimes, a cartridge is, as Goldilocks said while tasting porridge - "just right". I think the .308 is it. It's a Goldilocks cartridge.
Canada has a population only 10% of the USA, and with a much smaller manufacturing base and market share of North American firearms. So the USA has dominated the choices of Canadian hunters to a large extent. And international hunters too. As a result, many Canadians would choose the .30-06 as their favourite. I'm not sure that's based on merit, just markets and habit.
If I feel a need for more certain results while hunting very large animals at normal shot distances under 300 M, I choose something bigger than .30 caliber. That's what my .35 Whelen, 9.3x62, and .375 H&H rifles are for. I personally have no desire to turn hunting into a sniping competition, so .30 caliber magnums with their long range capabilities are of no particular interest to me.
There is nothing wrong with the .30-06. But I'd argue that for hunting mid-size animals appropriate for .30 calibers at reasonable ranges, the .308 is "Just right" and the .30-06 is "just as good" - but not better.
100%. Couldn’t agree more!

I have shot several animals with a .243 and have had only one, one-shot kill, and it ran over 40 yards and dived into a beaver pond to the point that it was 100% submerged.

I had to swim in sub-40 degree (Fahrenheit) water to retrieve it.

My son had his first 3 DRT shots with his, but he made bad shots that just happened to server spines!
@Safari Dave
Typical 243 performance. Hit and run. It's a useless caliber only use for the barrel is tomato stake. Then rebarrel to a real caliber even a 260 rem.
Bob

I think this debate depends quite a bit on where your base line assumptions have been formed and in what culture your hunting habits were developed in.
I grew up in Canada. Western Canada to be precise. I was born in the middle of the last century, when The most common, widely used, good for "anything" cartridge was the .303 British. It was the normal baseline of adequate performance for the average hunter in Saskatchewan who pursued whitetail deer and mule deer, elk, black bear and moose. Nobody in their right mind with any experience would say the .303 was inadequate or a poor choice for those game animals. I laugh when reading of people who think they "need" something bigger for moose. Millions of practical examples in the field attested to the effectiveness of the .303. All my hunting mentors started out with .303 "sporter" rifles, actually just cut down military Lee Enfield SMLE's. I shot my first game animal with one too.
About the time I started hunting, the "new" .308 Winchester replaced the .303 with the following benefits. Better accuracy, slightly improved power, the same 150-180 gr. bullet weights in common hunting use, while chambered in more modern, handier and overall better and more accurate rifles. And cheap military ammo was widely available for practise and varmint blasting.
There was nothing not to like, and everything to like about the .308.
I suspect that same fondness for the .308 in Canada translates at least in part to many hunters in Great Britain and Australia and New Zealand and South Africa.
Nearly the same sequence of events could be said about the USA, substituting the .30-40 Krag for the .303. Same-Same performance in the field. But the Krag dropped away much earlier, and then the USA replaced the Krag with the .30-06.
I like the .30-06 a lot, and have a couple .30-06 rifles that I enjoy hunting with. But "better" than the .308 is certainly debatable. I don't buy into the argument that bigger is always better. Sometimes, a cartridge is, as Goldilocks said while tasting porridge - "just right". I think the .308 is it. It's a Goldilocks cartridge.
Canada has a population only 10% of the USA, and with a much smaller manufacturing base and market share of North American firearms. So the USA has dominated the choices of Canadian hunters to a large extent. And international hunters too. As a result, many Canadians would choose the .30-06 as their favourite. I'm not sure that's based on merit, just markets and habit.
If I feel a need for more certain results while hunting very large animals at normal shot distances under 300 M, I choose something bigger than .30 caliber. That's what my .35 Whelen, 9.3x62, and .375 H&H rifles are for. I personally have no desire to turn hunting into a sniping competition, so .30 caliber magnums with their long range capabilities are of no particular interest to me.
There is nothing wrong with the .30-06. But I'd argue that for hunting mid-size animals appropriate for .30 calibers at reasonable ranges, the .308 is "Just right" and the .30-06 is "just as good" - but not better.
Whenever I read these kinds of comparisons I think of a family of hunters in deer camp. The conversation starts with one young guy showing f his new .300 Ultra mag. His brother says his .300 Win mag will do anything that the ultra will do. Their dad says his .30-06 will do just as well as a magnum anything. An uncle chimes in with his .308 is just the same as a .30-06 but works in his Model 88 lever. Now great uncle throws in that his Model 99 in .300 Savage will do whatever the .308 can do. Grandpa says he's never needed anything more than his .30-30, and Grandpas cousin chimes in that he killed a deer in the South Pacific with his M1 carbine during WWII and it died just as fast as any he shot with a .30-30.

These kinds of discussions make it sound like a .30 carbine is just as capable as a hunting round as a .300 (fill in the blank) magnum, which it just isn't. A .30-30, .30-40 Krag or .303 Brit may be adequate, but adequate is not the same as best. Many moose and black bears have been killed with a .22 Hornet so I guess that makes it adequate, but I sure don't intend to try it.

Whenever I read these kinds of comparisons I think of a family of hunters in deer camp. The conversation starts with one young guy showing f his new .300 Ultra mag. His brother says his .300 Win mag will do anything that the ultra will do. Their dad says his .30-06 will do just as well as a magnum anything. An uncle chimes in with his .308 is just the same as a .30-06 but works in his Model 88 lever. Now great uncle throws in that his Model 99 in .300 Savage will do whatever the .308 can do. Grandpa says he's never needed anything more than his .30-30, and Grandpas cousin chimes in that he killed a deer in the South Pacific with his M1 carbine during WWII and it died just as fast as any he shot with a .30-30.

These kinds of discussions make it sound like a .30 carbine is just as capable as a hunting round as a .300 (fill in the blank) magnum, which it just isn't. A .30-30, .30-40 Krag or .303 Brit may be adequate, but adequate is not the same as best. Many moose and black bears have been killed with a .22 Hornet so I guess that makes it adequate, but I sure don't intend to try it.
Well put!

@Safari Dave
Typical 243 performance. Hit and run. It's a useless caliber only use for the barrel is tomato stake. Then rebarrel to a real caliber even a 260 rem.
Bob
I disagree as far as usefulness! Seen a lot of kids take their first deer, antelope or coyote with one and thats hard to beat their excitement! I've personally used it on several hundred coyotes and bobcats.
As far as something for Africa why do you need anything less than a 375?
For 30 cal an '06 is hard to beat but the magnums will do it slightly better! I still like a 300RUM for
most long range applications but nothing is more fun than a 470NE double in close and personal on
something like buffalo!
I know that some will still think their beloved 6.5 Creedmoor is Gods answer to a "kill anything that walks" but IMHO it isn't even worth using for a tent stake!

Really good question/ survey, Major!
It's the variables that need defining.
All around only one rifle, in 30 caliber, it would have to be the 30-06.
When the variables are added to the equation then it would be any of these cartridges: 30-30 with 150 grain soft point, 30-06 with 110-175 grain bullets, 300 Win Mag with 165-220 grain bullets, all based on what and where I'm hunting.

so, ound and round and round we go ...

l have seen quite a difference in killing speed from a 30-06 to a 300wm
why l stopped using the 300wm for meat animals was the large bruising and blood spoilt meat caused by kinetic shock that would spoil a fair hunk of meat but that said although the 300wm does damage meat l do not know how anyone could sleep at night without one in the cupboard
I've used the .308 mostly, I have a .300wm that gets little use but I'm keeping it.

I hired a 7mmRm in Africa but my PH also had a .300wm available as a client rifle. He feels it's a good choice for one rifle for hunting African plains game.

I disagree as far as usefulness! Seen a lot of kids take their first deer, antelope or coyote with one and thats hard to beat their excitement! I've personally used it on several hundred coyotes and bobcats.
As far as something for Africa why do you need anything less than a 375?
For 30 cal an '06 is hard to beat but the magnums will do it slightly better! I still like a 300RUM for
most long range applications but nothing is more fun than a 470NE double in close and personal on
something like buffalo!
I know that some will still think their beloved 6.5 Creedmoor is Gods answer to a "kill anything that walks" but IMHO it isn't even worth using for a tent stake!
I don't own rifles in either caliber, but I did shoot a coyote with a .243 that my brother had once. He died. But you can't think that a .243 is more useful than the 6.5 CM for a kid to.use on deer and antelope. I have had follow up on a couple of bucks and feral hogs that others have hit with .243s and have not been impressed. When my grandson is a little older I intend to buy a 6.5 or 260 Rem for him and not a .243 as the ballistics are clearly superior.

I had fun having 2 rifles built exactly the same. One a .30-06, the other a .375 H&H. Other than action length, they are identical. Same trigger pull, same safety, same bases, rings, and scope. The only other difference is one is a pound heavier than the other. The muscle memory mapping is identical.
I then handloaded them to the same POA - POI using Swift A-Frames. One using 180 grain, the other the 270 grain bullet.

On plains game-only hunts I'd take them both and set 'em in the rifle rack. On alternating days I'd simply switch off rifles giving one a day off, and then go forth and see what happens. Too dang much fun. Looking back, I'm somewhat amazed I never messed up grabbing the wrong ammo. Call me lucky,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VallieCurr

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.