Study On Persuasive Hunting Arguments

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
PodcastArt.jpg

I posted this in the Trophy thread, but I didn't see the info anywhere else and thought it might be good to post on its own:

Regarding game management models and "antis" attitudes, there was a study done in the US that looked at what changed anti-hunters attitudes towards hunting. I believe the only successful arguments were:

A. That all the meat is utilized and the animal isn't wasted.
B. That hunting is a necessary activity licensed and regulated by states to manage wild animal populations appropriately.

Nothing else worked. Not "we've done it for years, I grew up doing it," etc. (Source: Episode 53 of the MeatEater Podcast; I believe the study was done by PhD candidate Greg Blascovich - definitely worth a listen if you have time: http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts/episode-053-greg-blascovich/)

I think we are at a bit of a turning point on the issue of hunting in public opinion (at least in the US). A big percentage of the younger "millenial" generation is interested in food quality/sourcing/organics/free-range stock, etc. and has realised two facts: 1. Game meat is healthier and more "organic" and "sustainable" than farmed beef/chicken; and 2. The hypocritical nature of eating meat and being anti-hunting. (I.e., if you eat a hamburger or chicken nugget, you have just as much blood on your hands as a big game hunter, hunters just don't completely rely on other people do their "dirty work" for them)

Regarding African hunting, I think the "if it pays it stays" argument should be added as well (when the animal has value to the local impoverished community, it is protected and managed, when it is a drain on the resources of the local impoverished community, it will be poached). I think Trophy did a decent job illustrating this fact, mostly with the Maasai segment, I wish they would have gone into more exposition when the locals were discussing Philip's elephant, and how they wished more would be hunted.

We're probably never going to change the minds of a lot of vegans or "bleeding-heart" animal rights folks, but that's ok, we just need the rational middle-ground folks to see that what we do is much more authentic, responsible, and necessary than it is often portrayed to be. It also helps to note that hunting revenue pays for all of the state Game and Fish agencies in the US, and provides millions to the wildlife agencies in Africa as well as anti-poaching.

Hunting, especially African hunting is such a complicated topic, but having those talking points in mind may be a good way to educate and change the attitudes of the middle-ground folks.

I like Rinella a lot... I don't agree with 100% of his views, but overall, I think he is an excellent representative of the blue-collar hunting community. The exchange in this video in particular is, in my opinion, one of the strongest arguments made on behalf the hunters' perspective. Rinella not only presents facts to support his views, he does it in a very credible, even charming demeanor. He slam dunks this guy, and has the guy thanking him for it at the end of the video.

Reactions: 686

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross