Stock grain direction..

Northman

AH member
Reaction score
I was wondering if this is a good grain direction for a heavy recoiling rifle?

IMG_8000_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To expand a little on @Von Gruff , I think the issue is that if a profile line for the side view of the stock were drawn on the bland, it would show grain starting at the lower tang/trigger guard and traveling to the notch at the top of the grip immediately ahead of the comb. this would make for a likely split/separation of the stock in the grip.

The preferred grain would be a slight diagonal that travelled through the grip.

I like quarter sawn wood when the grain starts in the root and curves up into the trunk--then it has the required turn which lends the very best strength to the grip area. The grain in your blank is straight with the trunk all the way, hence the potential shearing effect as the stock profile turns down from fore end to the butt. I still think your stock will be plenty strong enough to use. Additionally you might glass a hidden iron rod in the pistol grip which would surely keep it intact. Since many people these days make stocks straighter than the old-timers used to, it is probably doubly irrelevant that your grain is so straight. Straighter stock profiles do not penalize a scope user, and make recoil more in a straight line, thus lessening recoil to the cheek bone.

these two blanks (both thin shell walnut, one plain and one a bit fancier) show good grain layout for a rifle.

Two Blankscrp.jpg

Here is the lower blank after shaping and finishing...

404 grip section.jpg

I would be interested to hear the caliber of the rifle this would be for and see the style of the stock laid out on it. 100 years ago this might have been a very poor choice but with todays stock shapes you may get the grain to flow directly from forend to buttpad. Not necessarily flowing down through the wrist but definitely not an obvious shearing risk like once might have been.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, however on a related topic, what would your opinion of this stock be? It is a Beretta 486 in 12ga. It has a very similar look to me as the OP's photo.

View attachment 466638
Two piece stocks are a different prospect to a one piece stock and the lovely stock you show will have no grain impact.

Reactions: CJW
Plus, the 486 is awesome. Have both 12 and 20 in pistol grip

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, however on a related topic, what would your opinion of this stock be? It is a Beretta 486 in 12ga. It has a very similar look to me as the OP's photo.

View attachment 466638
Shotgun with a Prince of Whales grip compared to a heavy recoiling rifle??
Two piece vs one piece?
Chalk and cheese

Shotgun with a Prince of Whales grip compared to a heavy recoiling rifle??
Two piece vs one piece?
Chalk and cheese
Shotguns are different, of course. But they usually fire far more rounds and are carried more than centerfire rifles. And no one but a target shooter would want a heavy 8 lb.+ shotgun. Gameguns are far more lightly built and slimmer than almost any rifle. So, yes, grain layout and direction do count, especially through the vulnerable wrist area.

Does grain flow through the for-end matter? I feel like I once read it should flow slightly down? I’m not 100% certain though

It matters - somewhat. Best is straight, vertical grain, but slightly up or down is OK. Have a forend tip in place, which helps stabilize the forend by re-enforcing against longitudinal stresses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross