Steiners??

Colorado Luckydog

AH senior member
Reaction score
On a whim I got a pair of Steiner Observer 25X80 binoculars. They seem fantastic. I was wondering if any of you guys have a pair of them and what do you use them for? Thanks!

@Colorado Luckydog - in what manner do you plan to use a set of binos that weigh over 4# and are 17" long?

Most hunting in Africa is done with 6-10x binos. 25x is in the realm of spotting scopes for hunting. If they are bino, they would have a specific purpose like scanning the horizon from a large container ship. A little overkill for hunting.

On a whim I got a pair of Steiner Observer 25X80 binoculars. They seem fantastic. I was wondering if any of you guys have a pair of them and what do you use them for? Thanks!
I have a pair of 10x “night hunters” I used them for about 10-12 years deer hunting and they are still my backup pair. I love them just not quite as much as my swarovskis

A guide in camp last year had a pair of those Steiner 25x80’s for glassing Coues deer. They seemed to work well for him.

I use some 15x Leicas for spotting mule deer in the sand dunes of Texas, they work great and have replaced my spotting scope, switch to 10x50s for the stalk, they also come in handy for checking ducks on our ponds in central Texas

Astronomy binos! I bet the would work great on a tripod for glassing distances greater than 600 yards. You’ll be able to inspect a herd of elk at a mile. The bad news: better get in really good shape to walk down the animals you can spot at that distance.
The size and weight will probably require a baby bjorn chest carrying device for new parents.
it will be very difficult to hold those steady without a rest. A carbon fiber set of shooting sticks is in your future.

For a Yellowstone national park trip, those would be amazing, with a tripod.

At one time Tasco use to make 8-20(+?) x 50 binos and I loved those.
Wished someone else would make such binos. Relatively light weight, I think around 1-1+/less than 2#, comfortable to wear, size wise like a normal pair of binos, great for spotting and judging game at long distance or short and worked really good at the range when judging shots at 100-200 yards.

My question is how good are fixed 25 x 80 at 20, 30, 40, distances under a 80-100 yards?

Last edited:
I don’t have a pair of binoculars like that. But, if I did I would use them to watch the impact on a prairie dog while spotting for one of my buddies.

I hope you have a great time figuring out how you are going to use them.

John

Astronomy binos! I bet the would work great on a tripod for glassing distances greater than 600 yards. You’ll be able to inspect a herd of elk at a mile. The bad news: better get in really good shape to walk down the animals you can spot at that distance.
The size and weight will probably require a baby bjorn chest carrying device for new parents.
it will be very difficult to hold those steady without a rest. A carbon fiber set of shooting sticks is in your future.

For a Yellowstone national park trip, those would be amazing, with a tripod.
I already have a couple of tripods but I ordered a Inorrel RT90 carbon fiber tripod. It will be here tomorrow. I also just bought a Vortex Razor 27-60x85 spotting scope. For some reason I'm really into optics right now and it's costing be a bundle! LOL!!!

I already have a couple of tripods but I ordered a Inorrel RT90 carbon fiber tripod. It will be here tomorrow. I also just bought a Vortex Razor 27-60x85 spotting scope. For some reason I'm really into optics right now and it's costing be a bundle! LOL!!!
When you get the Steiners on the tripod post a picture. I would like to see how you go about it. Those binos seem great for the west Texas hunting I sometimes do. I love all my Steiner scopes

Is this for elk hunting? I am also a big fan of spotting scopes when elk hunting. On the morning or evening sit we get to a high point and glass. 90% of the glassing is done at 20x power, only occasionally do I need to zoom. Also, There has been a fair amount of pre-dawn moon watching with a spotting scope.

I have three Steiners, but smaller, and more practical for hunting.

I have Steiner 10X50s Military Marine for hunting out of deer stands in the southeast USA. I also have Steiner 7X50s that are great for cat blinds in Africa. The 7X50s are so bright you can use them even at night most nights. They were a great comfort to me to have around my neck in a lion blind.

They are very good , Steinet got Nato contract early on,and Secret Service bought them for their Counter Snipers,which often is seen using them and they like them very much.

I’ve used Steiner 7x50 marine binos, very good gear.

Have the Police model, armored take to ballgames sometimes. too heavy for hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayHumble

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.