State Department Warning for Johannesburg Airport

What you describe here is reason enough to use one of the permit services, as this kind of funny business will be very unlikely.

Yes and No they're a big help but something Similar that desertloper discribed happen to me, last year I used Air2000 to handle my rifle permits :( all paperwork sent months in advance to include Itinerary once Deb and I got there and got off the plane one of thier reps was there to meet us then we found out that he was there to meet other passengers as well with time limited we were held up for another 30 minutes. Finely got everyone together and headed out. well when they found they were running short on time Deb and I got passed off to their standby rep got the guns thru SAPs and took them to the shipping point and went to catch our flight to find out that all we could do is stand there and watch it leave without us. So we went back to the terminal to see if we could get on the next flight on our own, got the tickets changed and was headed back when a guy waving his hands like crazy to get our attention I tried to ignore him but he kept up and said that the guns didn't get on the plane and I have to fill out more paperwork to get them loaded on this flight. As it turned out he really was from the shipping point and after filling out more paperwork and greasing a few palms my guns got loaded. I emailed Ann at Air2000 to tell her of my disappointment in there service she emailed me back and said she would check into it, she emailed a few days later and said that the reason for the mix up was that they had called Huntershill Safaris and been told that we would be catching the same flight with the other people that they were waiting for (and we were not) I thought thats why they needed my Itinerary so they would know what my flights were. Well Ann said that they would give me a little credit back for my troubles thats been almost a year and nothing yet:(, and the way I see it there only as good as their word. Next time I'll use Riflepermits or just do it myself.

As a follow up; this story actually scared me, even as ex-military I tend to give human nature the benefit of the doubt.

We used Air 2000 inbound only, no return service. Our inbound experience was nothing short of white glove...amazing!

Our return was the give a shit mentality..hunts over, guns insured "who cares"

Luckily there were some Porters who easily ID'd us as Ametican hunters, literally grabbed our cases and told us to follow, we got lucky!

Our buddy I mentioned a few posts before used a return service and yet was still damn lucky his intuition kicked in, otherwise his teeth may have been.

Lesson learned: whether Detroit, Barcelona, or Jburg...be smart, it's not your hometown.

Well said desertloper....in 06 after dangerous game hunt in Zim I was attempting to get an extra bag of tchotchkes on board and was asked to "follow me down the hall".....asking me "just how much money do you have on you?"....For $35 more I got the bag aboard but in no way shape or form was I leaving the site of my buddies who were watching me from the check out counter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross