Speer Grand Slams from Speer bullets

@shark_za,

The 6.5mm Speer Grand Slam bullets have a single composition lead core installed using the Hot-Cor process, so they are the same design as current 6.5mm Speer Grand Slam bullets.

Here's a table from the 2000 Speer catalog. The text in italics above the table in the photo confirms this.

Well I don't know why but this photo will only load upside down for me.

20200620_103236.jpg

Great thread guys, I started my 275 rigby out last year with 160 grain hot cors with H4350. At 2600 fps I had good luck with them on whitetail. Over the summer I tried the 145 gr grandslam that were in the second generation box I had stashed. They shot very well. So I ordered more but apparently they are the third generation boxes according the the pics above. I just threw together a load with H4350 and seated them to the base of the neck. Velocity was in the 2780's and three groups all measured in the .6's. So very happy with accuracy. I'll only be using them on whitetail, so hopefully they perform as well as they shoot.

Was recycling some stuff today and rescued a stack of old hunting magazines from the bin. This one page ad was found in the 1990 issue of “Bugle” magazine. The magazine cost $2.95 back then

I initially purchased 10 boxes of .308 180gr that had a huge discount offer from Speer. Intention was to just use them for range loads for several 30/06's we have. Started working up loads and was very disappointed in the accuracy out of 5 different rifles. Called Speer and the very first thing I was asked was if I was using a Lee Factory Crimp Die - yes. He said don't. Just use my regular seating die. That one change was the key. Next batch without the LFCD and those bullets shot as well or better than TSX's in all 5 rifles.

Took the Ruger 77 RSI in 30/06 for a PG cull hunt to Botswana last June (2019). That one trip I shot 20 impala and 10 blue w/b and only recovered 3 bullets. The 3 were from impala that were Texas heart shot, just off center of the spines and traveled along the spine, ruined the backstraps and stopped at the shoulder. Everything else was shot broadside through the shoulders and passed through.

I was so pleased with them that as soon as got home and ordered a BOATLOAD of them and took advantage of the Speer rebate promotion. I used them again later last year in our trip to Namibia culling mountain zebra and then over to Botswana again culling impala and blue w/b with my wife. All of last year, between those two trips there were 60+ head of PG from impala to zebra taken with them and only those first 3 were recovered.

Came home from that trip and ordered up another boatload of the 308's and a boatload of .375 285gr ones. Same thing, accuracy sucked with the LFCD. Leave that out and they shoot as good or better than TSX's too.

Will be using them again this Aug (hopefully) for another 40 head cull hunt in Botswana with a different 30/06 rifle and the 375 Ruger just to test them in that caliber.

TSX's and other premium bonded are fine, no question at all. But I really like to practice with what I'm going to use and at the price point I got one the Speer and the quantity I now have on hand, it's not likely I'll need anything else.
Did the 30-06 RSI Have a 20" barrel? How is the muzzle blast out of that short barrel?

RSI, 20" barrel - yes. Muzzle blast was really no different in the bush then a regular length barrel. Second trip over with my wife in Aug, she had a Husqvarna in 30/06 and I had the RSI. Shooting side by side and could not tell any difference.

Edited to add:

We've also got a couple of Ruger 375 Alaskan's in 375 Ruger. They've got 20" barrels also. Shooting in the bush side by side with a regular length barreled 375 H&H, we can't really tell a difference either. Now, on a shooting range with a covered/roof over bench area, yes, there is a difference. But, then too, we're wearing ear plugs on the range so it's still same/same.

Last edited:
I haven't tried the newer grand Slams. I'd be interested for those of you that have them, particularly the 375 ones, if you'd split one down the middle to see what the jacket configuration is - Initially the GS had just the heel ring and the cannelure to hold it together, then the mid-ring as shown in the advertisement was added. That second stage bullet was the model that Bill Steigers tested and found them to perform quite well in the impact testing (fired from a 375/8mm mag. I'm hoping that when Speer went to uni-core they kept the retaining ring. Splitting one would tell.

The new grand slam is just a simple “hot core” with a thicker jacket. The one I cut open was a .375 285 grain.

So it didn't have the retainer ring swagged into the inner jacket?

RSI, 20" barrel - yes. Muzzle blast was really no different in the bush then a regular length barrel. Second trip over with my wife in Aug, she had a Husqvarna in 30/06 and I had the RSI. Shooting side by side and could not tell any difference.

Edited to add:

We've also got a couple of Ruger 375 Alaskan's in 375 Ruger. They've got 20" barrels also. Shooting in the bush side by side with a regular length barreled 375 H&H, we can't really tell a difference either. Now, on a shooting range with a covered/roof over bench area, yes, there is a difference. But, then too, we're wearing ear plugs on the range so it's still same/same.
Have you experience any of the changing POI That the RSI's are supposedly afflicted with? I have an RSI in 250-3000 and had one in 243.

It did a little bit with it. I also have two Styer Mannlicher Schoenauers, one in 308 and one in 30-06. All three initially shot spot on for the first one-two shots while the barrel was cold/cool. After the barrels warmed they would start to wander a bit. You have to keep in mind, the full stocks are "hunting" rifles and not intended to sit on a range all day with shot after shot with warm/hot barrels.

I have been able to improve the warm barrel issues on all three by making sure the barrels are FULLY floated from the front of the receiver to the barrel/stock end cap. Took a good bit of sanding and trial and error but all three will now shoot very will from a cold barrel to round 4 or 5 before they start to wander. Let it sit till cool and all is right with the world again.

The 3rd gen Grand Slam bullets are just a standard cup and core. There was another Speer Grand Slam thread where I posted what was left of a 145gr Grand Slam From my 284 Win, link to thread:

Bought several boxes of these years ago. No complaints. Several elk and deer harvested. Great mushroom and weight retention.
142D30B9-1BEF-4D7C-93D2-528D0F9E6CD0.jpeg

The 3rd gen Grand Slam bullets are just a standard cup and core. There was another Speer Grand Slam thread where I posted what was left of a 145gr Grand Slam From my 284 Win, link to thread:

I initially had accuracy issues with the fist couple of "test" boxes of the .30cal 180's. Couldn't get them to shoot under 2-2 1/2" at 100. Tried multiple powders and charge weights and two different primers. Decided to call Speer directly and ask them for load data.

Got transferred to a "Technical Support" person and explained my tribulations.. First question he asked is if I was using a Lee Factory Crimp Die - yes. He said, don't. Just use a roll crimp in the cannelure. Then explained that these most recent designs are "bonded cup & core" and the jacket walls are thicker at the base and then get thinner forward of the cannelure. He also said they make the lead alloy a bit harder than previous versions. He also told me the .30 cal bullets were optimized for standard 308 Win to 30/06 velocities as that was what they concidered their core market.

Next batch of bullets I reloaded I just use the roll crimp as suggested and it was like night and day improvement. The shot every bit as accurately as TSX's once I found the sweet charge of powder.

I've got a bunch of the GS's in .375cal and just now starting to play with them in a couple of 375 Ruger Alaskans. So far, I'm very pleased. Not quite as accurate as 270gr TSX's but close and still some playing to do.

Edited to Add: Tech guy did say one of the short comings of the GS's is they don't really like to be seated outside of the cannelure. He said they are a general purpose bullet intended for shooters to duplicate factory ammunition seating depths. The really precise shooters who want to be able to seat specific distances from the land/grooves will probably not like them.

Last edited:
Been using 250gr Grand Slams with H4350 pushing them in the 2600fps and also 250gr Partitions.
The GS group a bit better in both of my 338s but the elk, deer and bear sure didn't notice the difference between the two bullet choices. Both efficient killers imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillianaLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg