Speer deep curl bullets?

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I know these are relatively new, but I'm wondering if anyone has used these on plains game in Africa, and how they performed. I'm working up loads now with Nosler accubonds in my .338 Win mag, and hopefully I'll find a good one, but I am always looking for opitions.........
Thanks in advance............

Speer hasnt ever been accurate enough or consistant enough for me. I would switch to an Aframe Accubond or tsx.

Sounds like you like to fiddle around.
The target will tell you how your rifle likes your "experiment".

I have not seen many people posting about Speers. Mostly, Barts list gets used.

As bart says, he has not found them consistent enough for him.
Let us know how your experience goes on the range.

Used Speer years ago had the worst luck with them, Don't care for them at all.

Like Bob, I used Speer years ago and had some bad experiences with them. Went to Hornedy and now mostly Barnes. I wasn't familiar w/ the deep curls so I googled it. Didn't see any really bad reviews. Just not many at all... That in itself seems a little odd. The accubonds should work just fine for you. Lots of good bullets out there. I wouldn't use one I didn't have confidence in. Bruce

I have used the Hot Cor and Grandslam. The Deep Curl is a new bullet. Sounds a lot like a Federal Fusion. They are economical bullet. I'm sure the TSX would out perform in penetration.

I used Grand Slam many years with success. Has not tryed Deep Curl yet. Sure looks like something similar to Federal Fusion, wich I used on my last trip to Africa. I currently using Norma Oryx mostly. A great bullet IMO.

I used Grand Slam many years with success. Has not tryed Deep Curl yet. Sure looks like something similar to Federal Fusion, wich I used on my last trip to Africa. I currently using Norma Oryx mostly. A great bullet IMO.

I had one rifle that would shoot the Grand Slams accurately, and the accounted for two whitetail. They preformed no better and no worse than any other ammo I have hunted Whitetail with, they killed just like the rest. That being said I will repeat, it was one of 15 270's I have owned that liked the Speer.

Agree with Wolverine67, Norma makes some really good factory loads, and the Oryx is a great bullet.

Good luck in you search and keep us posted on your results with Speers new bullet...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg