AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
So, I'll be selling my company in the next year or two. Planning on buying a hunting property in South Africa to retire to. We will pay cash so it doesn't have to make money although we won't complain if it pays for its operational costs. We will have a PH friend of mine manage the place and conduct the hunts.

We will spend 30 days in South Africa early next year "as though we were living there" (okay we will hunt a little as well) meeting with financial folks, lawyers, private hospitals, logistic folks, going shopping, etc etc etc.

I'm asking those of you that live in South Africa to share with me anything (especially any gotchas) that I should look into that might not be obvious. We will not be living in a city. We will not need to depend on public utilities or services. We will not need to earn any money from the local economy.

Appreciate your time and thoughts. Thanks in advance.

So, I'll be selling my company in the next year or two. Planning on buying a hunting property in South Africa to retire to. We will pay cash so it doesn't have to make money although we won't complain if it pays for its operational costs. We will have a PH friend of mine manage the place and conduct the hunts.

We will spend 30 days in South Africa early next year "as though we were living there" (okay we will hunt a little as well) meeting with financial folks, lawyers, private hospitals, logistic folks, going shopping, etc etc etc.

I'm asking those of you that live in South Africa to share with me anything (especially any gotchas) that I should look into that might not be obvious. We will not be living in a city. We will not need to depend on public utilities or services. We will not need to earn any money from the local economy.

Appreciate your time and thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Sourdough

Sounds like a great plan and I''d be happy to give you my 2c. I'm a South African and have lived and travelled over most of SA and happy to share my experiences if useful.

As you know SA is a big place and the living experience can be very different depending where you live, be it the Lowveld, Free State, Limpopo, Karoo, Eastern Cape or KZN.

Ultimately though I guess its about how remote you want to be (proximity to healthcare facilities etc) and security. Great call though and all the best with it. Feel free to send me a message.

Cheers
Rich

I hope we get some good reply’s on this ?

Im a New Zealander & work as a PH in RSA in the hunting season & return to NZ each year, I love it here & thought about buying a small block also with a lodge on it I could hunt from & just rest up on .

My worst gripes are corruption on all angles, super slow motion on any government issues & one of the worst, power/load shedding, I bloody hate that !

My friends here say get good health insurance & health care isn’t so bad but if on a game farm the road condition (and animals both domestic & wild) make it hard to get to hospitals or doctors in a hurry.

what part/area are you considering in RSA ?

Oh unlike your self, I have very limited funds & it is only the NZ peso to exchange lol !

I too looked into doing this

If I remember correctly it was a small 65 hectare patch with run down house and pool. It was in the Hoedspruit area, and at a time when the fences were coming down and wildlife were benefiting from unfettered access to and from Greater Kruger

Ownership apparently would have entitled us to run one tourist safari vehicle into Kruger

we got last minute cold feet and didn’t buy it but it wasn’t a lot of money at the time and I often wonder if we missed an opportunity

I was cautious because our family had already lost one farm (to Mugabe) and I was fearful that the same problems were coming to SA

Dream retirement for sure and to be able to hunt there year round even better.
Political part and Farm attacks would be my biggest concern! I learned alot about them while there and am in the middle of reading a book about them.

Perfect plan,if Africa flows in your blood.I left for 20 years and she drew me back.Bought a farm again ,happy as a Hogg

The area you chose to buy in is the number one priority,been safety and asset appreciation.
If you find a farm with no services and any form of ESKOM power lines running through,your are king.
Free of land claims
No staff with life rights on the land.
Try stay away from land with access servitudes.
Don’t read to much into our politics,we live a good life in SA.I’m in the Karoo,2hours odd from Cape Town if the big city is needed but so remote nobody can find us without co-ordinate’s

I hope we get some good reply’s on this ?

Im a New Zealander & work as a PH in RSA in the hunting season & return to NZ each year, I love it here & thought about buying a small block also with a lodge on it I could hunt from & just rest up on .

My worst gripes are corruption on all angles, super slow motion on any government issues & one of the worst, power/load shedding, I bloody hate that !

My friends here say get good health insurance & health care isn’t so bad but if on a game farm the road condition (and animals both domestic & wild) make it hard to get to hospitals or doctors in a hurry.

what part/area are you considering in RSA ?

Oh unlike your self, I have very limited funds & it is only the NZ peso to exchange lol !
Are you a dual citizen or dual resident? How did it work getting your PH license as a New Zealander?

Fantastic, fun project!

As others have alluded to, one of the differentiating factors will be the location of the farm/ranch. Prices do tend to drop massively as you get further from the big cities. There are a number of reasons for this but what may be pertinent to you is access to services and amenities. And just basic access from OR Tambo/Jhb when you arrive after lengthy flights - unless you simply charter from there to the farm.
SA roads aren't our strongest point and road safety rules are at best regarded as optional most of the time. So I would consider location with a view to accessibility and access to necessary services (whether medical, or groceries or entertainment or whatever)

While the climate is generally good throughout RSA, there can be a big range in heat and humidity. The Limpopo lowveld might test your tolerance for heat and humidity (and bugs) whereas the Karoo, for example, is much drier and less humid and can be quite cold in winter. Might be something to consider as you get older and comfort rises up the priority list.

From an environmental and climatic perspective, RSA tends to be quite dry and droughts have been increasingly common. Some areas of the country are far more prone to drought (due to normal rainfall levels being very low to start with, thus limited groundwater) and vulnerable to the effects of drought. Experiencing your game dying due to starvation is no fun, whether it is nature at work or not. Receiving pleas for help from your manager can result in big $$$ spent on drilling boreholes and purchasing supplementary feed. If this is a concern/consideration, then you may wish to focus on areas that are less vulnerable.

Unfortunately the elephant in the room is the people issue. I'm sure I don't need to regurgitate the political and social history here... You will have workers on your game farm and because labour is cheap here, you will face the dilemma of creating jobs (and increasing your comfort and productivity on the farm because you can have cleaners in the house, gardeners at the lodge, trackers and skinners, maintenance people to improve roads and fences, potentially anti-poaching teams...the list can go on) versus the hassle of dealing with a decent size workforce who, to be blunt, often do not have the greatest work ethic and will test your (manager's) patience for sure. The issue of land tenancy and land claims down the line is also a big issue if they live on your property. But having your workforce as non-resident throws up big challenges too - somebody has to shuttle them to and from work daily (and they may not live particularly close). When help is needed at night to deal with runaway fires or process game that was retrieved late etc - who's going to do this? When the hunt starts at 4am, someone will have to collect trackers some time before this. And so on

I know that some of these chores aren't absolutely essential and maybe can be done yourself. But if you have paying hunting clients, they're not going to be washing down a bloody pick-up at 10pm so that they don't have to stand in blood the next morning or preparing food for the next day's hunt etc.
Whatever you do, I would strongly urge you to use a top/recommended labour lawyer to get your employment contracts rock solid. This will also ensure that any local language issues are dealt with. I think your biggest risk by far relates to people in general.

On the positive side, as Kevin rightly says, very few problems are truly insurmountable in Africa. Patience and a 'go with the flow' mentality help a lot.
Provided one can stay clear of politics and social drama, the quality of living here is hard to beat! And you clearly know this, given your decision to 'move' here! Welcome!!!!

Following this very closely. I tried rather unsuccessfully to find out how a non SA citizen can “earn money legally” while living there part time.

The pandemic nonsense we all have lived through has shown us that ALL governments are corrupt and oppressive, some I sure never expected the depth- like the US, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. At least some governments are out in the open with their corruption- which I actually prefer. So we are not worried there. Because of the corruption we stay away from politics. Because of their terribly negative and caustic influence we stay away from main stream media and social media.

@RichieG I will definitely PM you, thanks.

@Sarg living in Alaska one has to have the ability to live off the grid if needed (or desired), as well as survive the extreme cold. My preference will be to be off the grid (but not in the cold thank you). If the land allows we will cut in an airstrip (I am a bush pilot amongst other things) and of course have a helipad regardless. This combined with the appropriate rescue insurance should provide the best chance for quick access to emergency services. In addition we will have full first aid, snake bite and trauma kits handy at all times and in every vehicle. As well as training to use them. There are actually two books worth owning if living in the Last Frontier or anywhere else away from "civilization".

1. Where There Is No Doctor
2. Where There Is No Dentist

Haven't decided on exactly where in South Africa yet. I've hunted the Limpopo and Eastern Cape but am unfamiliar with the other provinces. The month long trip coming up will help with that decision.

@Kevin Peacocke appreciate the heads up.

@bowjijohn I came close to buying a place on Lake Kariba right before Mugabe made his last land grab. I don't know exactly why, but I'm drawn to Zimbabwe. Met some fantastic people there and was treated with complete respect by everyone even though it was during their highest inflation time.

@GuttormG Political instability, are you speaking of the US or South Africa? ;-)

@Ngonyama thanks for those tips. That's the kind of gotcha stuff I'm looking for.

@Desperatezulu fantastic info, thank you. People are, of course, an issue everywhere. Having staff (especially domestic staff) is one of the things we are looking forward to. In my business I have cultivated extremely loyal staff, I hope to be able to do the same in my retirement.

We plan on doing our utmost to be an asset for the wildlife, for the land, for our staff, and for our friends and neighbors. This we are very much looking forward to.

As to location, my preference would be to be as far away from people as possible. However I understand the need to be close enough that hunters are willing to travel "the last mile". Perhaps that distance can be extended because of the quality and mix of animals, and the experience of the camp. These are just a few things I'll be considering.

Again the beauty is we won't have to make a living off the property, although our manager/ph and his family will want the ability to add to theirs.

My three tenets of livng over here:
1. Be a citizen of Southern Africa, not just one country.

This is aimed at mitigating risk, but far less imortant in your case SD as you are securely funded.

2. No politics

Pretty self explanatory, but amazing how loose talk comes back to haunt you.

3. Buy a pith helmet

We are here to enjoy, to ride the ups and downs and not to hurt anyone or anything. A slightly eccentric label never hurts, you have nothing to hide. And they are comfortable too!

@Sourdough I think you are going to fit right in anywhere in Southern Africa

a bush pilot, hunting, backwoodsman

in all seriousness, employing locals will be a steep learning curve

it’s complicated !! - even for those borne here

learn something of the languages, cultures and natures of those you are likely to employ

English and fanagalo will only take you so far …

Last edited:
Happy to help where we can, SD - please feel free to reach out if you think I can be of any assistance.
In terms of location pointers, while I have hunted extensively over all of SA, my home province is Natal (I was born and raised in Zululand) so can give very detailed advice opinions on that province, if of value. Happy to comment where I can on other areas but there are likely more qualified members on the site.

To be frank, I think your idea about Zim is a good one - I would be very tempted to consider Zim given your criteria and outline. If you plan to be broadly self sufficient, then quality of utility services and the like are not a serious consideration. If air travel is a routine option, then the quality of roads also drops down the worry-list. At a people level, I think Zimbabwean workers are a great proposition. Security in Zim seems a lot better generally. Of course the security of land tenure is a the MAJOR stumbling block and deal breaker.

Regarding distances that hunters are willing to travel, I would not be too concerned on this point (unless you're desperate to have them crowding through the gates, which I am sure is the opposite of your objective!). Sure you're not going to get a weekend meat hunter who's going to drive for 8 hours to shoot 2 impala ewes. But for decent hunting in a properly run, unspoilt environment, there is always a market and they will be prepared to travel.

To give some context (and I will generalize grossly here) within 2 hrs drive of Jhb, the majority of game farms cater to the weekend warrior hunter segment. Usually with fancier accommodation and all the modcons - as one might reasonably expect a consumer group that is more affluent and time-strapped would want, including proximity to the city. Of course they pay for the privilege of venues that cater to their wishes. Corporate and big group hunts are big constituent of this segment and the venues are set up accordingly. They want the bar fridge to be bigger than the cold room and their animals to morph from the back of the vehicle into vacuum packed packages. :ROFLMAO: The huge majority of this market is not prepared to drive 5 hours to a remote destination and have to hunt hard on foot, tolerate more humble amenities etc and quite possibly go home empty handed or with only an animal or 2.

Of course the more committed hunter segment often really aspires to a scenario like my last sentence. And if the maximization of the commercial side is not a primary driver, then you can really target this segment (I'm boldly presuming that this would more likely be your preferred crowd). What I have experienced with some of my own hunting destinations is that the operators tend to focus on repeat/returning hunters and generally keep their animal prices down, not that we have ever discussed or negotiated this. Their explanation was that they value hunters of known capability who hunt responsibly, shoot enough animals to make it worth their (the game farmer's) while, and they're happy to incentivise us to return annually by giving us a good deal - they recognize that they're 500 miles from the major cities and thus too far for casual hunters to be their target market. We value the peace and unspoilt landscape and basic accommodation they offer, on top of the hunting, and see huge value in making the trip - win win!

I'm rather belabouring my point but I think you will have no problem finding the type and numbers of hunters you wish by a bit of basic tailoring of your hunting proposition.

As you stated your wish to be as far from people as possible, then the Karoo may well be an appealing location. It's very 'big country' with a low carrying capacity, so game farms tend to be very extensive and land prices per acre/hectare are very low. It is an arid region so water supply is a big consideration. But human population density is extremely low and security is thus much better - and the generally harsh environment makes it unappealing were there ever to be a land-grab.
Counting against it would be the low carrying capacity and relatively limited game variety endemic to the region. Yes you could introduce other species if there is sufficient water and food but I suspect that this might go against the grain.

Game type and variety might be another criterion to add to your filter when shortlisting locations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KrystalWim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!