SOUTH AFRICA: I'm back from safari #1

Congratulations on your first safari and some great looking animals.
Although I'm struggling to understand why a fellow named "Stormy Kromer" is wearing a baseball cap in the photos. :D

Awesome report, great story, incredible trophies!
I created an account today just so that I could congratulate you on finding or having 200 grain swift a-frames. I have a safari coming up in June of 24 and i'm convinced I'll have to settle for a different bullet.

If you are looking for bullets (not ammo), it is occasionally available from Grafs, or directly from the Swift website. Recommend that you sign up for notification when it becomes available again.

I'm going to Federal Premium 180 grain Accubonds. Heard good reports and my rifle likes them.
I used these in my .300 H&H last year and their performance was superb as long as I did my part. I cannot imagine that they would be any less satisfactory in the .300 Win Mag.

Congratulations on your first safari and some great looking animals.
Although I'm struggling to understand why a fellow named "Stormy Kromer" is wearing a baseball cap in the photos. :D

If you are looking for bullets (not ammo), it is occasionally available from Grafs, or directly from the Swift website. Recommend that you sign up for notification when it becomes available again.

I used these in my .300 H&H last year and their performance was superb as long as I did my part. I cannot imagine that they would be any less satisfactory in the .300 Win Mag.
I used the 180 Accubonds in my .300 win mag last year in South Africa. Factory Nosler ammo. Seven animals down with that round. Ranges from 50-300 yds. All 1 shot kills. Nothing went more than 30-40 yards at most. It was my first time using AB’s. They will be my go too from now on.

It was too darn hot to wear a Stormy Kromer....way too hot. I had one with. Wore it on the plane from Sioux Falls to Johannesburg. And I wear one almost every day here in MN.

Put it back on as soon as we landed home in Sioux Falls. Cold and windy back here.

I have a bunch of 300 WM rounds in 180 Accu bond and 180 Nosler partitions for the next trip. I don't think I can go wrong with either round.

That said, my favorite factory round in 300 WM was the 200 grain Safari grade that Remington used to offer.

Sorry for the quality of the photos. I don't know what happened, I have good ones that I'll be printing off.

To answer a couple questions posted.

My gun case is a metal locking case that I bought at Cabela's store in Owatonna, MN about 20 years ago. It has a rod that goes through 4 loops and folds down to give you room to put in your own lock. Its a great case, I looked at Cabela's site and can't find it anymore. I did see one on sale on Ebay for $100, that's a good deal.

For papers, cash, passport and credit cards I used a Blocking Passport with neck stash manufactured by RFTD. They're $11.99 on Amazon. Worked great, I wore it around my neck and tucked it under my shirt. I always knew exactly where everything was and it was safe.
Those cases were made for Cabelas by Kalispel Indians in Wahington. They still make them but no longer for Cabelas. Now under the Kalispel name.

Those are very impressive animals! That blesbuck may make gold medal. Silver for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoniaMedla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.