SOUTH AFRICA: Hunting With Crusader Safaris In South Africa

David Basto

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
In May of 2016 I completed my 3rd South African safari with Andrew Pringle of Crusader Safaris. I hunted birds in South Africa, but I haven't hunted plains game with many other outfitters , so I can't compare Andrew's outfit with another, but as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke..."
I love to shoot 'hogs and monkeys and so between the plains game hunting I did a lot of trigger pulling. Of course having the best PH is most helpful, and I was lucky enough to have Tyson Krause on all three years I have hunted with Andrew.
We hunted in the Bivavians Conservation area camp and enjoyed extremely plentiful game. Since I ran out of wall space for trophies, We tried his camp in Baluale for an 8 day buffalo hunt. It turned out that I shot my buffalo on the 2nd day, so Tyson and I packed up and headed to Kwa-Zulu Natal, to Andrew's camp in Umkamaas. I loved this tented camp as it was lush and on a babbling creek, so at night, after the campfire and a few gin and tonics, I slept like a rock.
Of course this camp was full of game and is noted for its large Nyala, Kudu, and Bushbuck. I had wanted a Waterbuck and I already had a trophy Kudu, so we pretty much settled on those. I also had a Wildebeast, but he was black and this area held some trophy blues, so of course that was added.
The Nyala hunt was interesting. We found a great bull standing with some cows, and as we ste the sticks, Tyson whispered ,"hold on, there's huge Bushbuck to the left about two hundred yards." So we rotated the sticks and shot the Bushbuck and turned to see the Nyala was staring at us at 210 yards and 90 degrees to the right. Rotated the sticks again and I pegged him. We barely got both loaded before dark. As luck would have it, the Bushbuck fell off a ledge and into a stream and broke off one of his horns. I'm told that that's an easy fix by a good taxidermy shop. Lets hope so!
I'll let my pics do the rest of the talking. However as you can see, I will have to find some wall space somewhere.
Good Hunting,
David Basto
Dugga 006.JPG
Dugga 065.JPG
Dugga 002.JPG
Dugga 009.JPG
Dugga 008.JPG
Dugga 003.JPG

Congrats on your hunt David, good trophies !

And thanks for sharing.

Congratulations.
You were certainly flexible and got on well with your PH.
You have some experiences you won't soon forget, obviously.

Awesome , thanks for sharing. Forrest

Congratulations.

The bushbuck, nyala double is pretty neat.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Wow! David. I did not hear about your nyala/bushbuck combo. Looking forward to hearing more about your hunts in September. I'm really jealous of your bushbuck. Oh well......a reason to go back. Like I needed one. ;)

That double is really cool....

And like you say, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Congrats on the hunt!

Congrats on the great trophies! Nice hard horned cape buffalo!

Nice waterbuck and Nyala!!

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us! The bushbuck will be a easy fix if you have the horn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jostepan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois