Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, RMEF, NRA, DSC, NWTF, DU
Hunted
USA(KY,MO,TN,TX) South Africa, New Zealand
My wife @DeadEyeDickless and I are recently returned from our first African hunting. Flew out of Louisville on Aug 17 and landed safely back on Aug 31. United Airlines round trip was without incident. Had lots of anxiety after reading multiple stories on this forum. Used Jennifer @TRAVEL EXPRESS for initial reservations and decided last minute to upgrade to Polaris class for the international flights. Arrived @ Johannesburg well rested, long wait for luggage then on to meet our outfitter and PH. Saw tallest guy in reception, Gerrit almost 2m. Went with us to SAPS for firearms. Used Henry for permits. This is where it got interesting! Had my 4457s but both myself and the CBP agent in Louisville had failed to note what we thought were all numbers were actually a Y, Z and G. Old eyes, small difficult to read serial numbers. SAPS officers took my Winchester 70 .375 HH and ammunition. I wasn’t happy but no recourse, not Rifle Permit problem and they felt sorry. Took everything to the bakkie. I asked to go back to SAPS to see if there was a solution.
TIA.
A phrase I’ve seen on this forum. The room was now clear save the SAPS officers and ourselves and an equitable solution presented itself and I was allowed to take my rifle and ammunition with corrected South African paperwork.
Then off to the incredibly comfortable lodge for a late night meal. Our room was spacious, modern and had a great shower. Slept very well. Up at 6:30 for coffee then to range to check rifles. Miranda took her custom Advanced Weapons Technology 300 WSM shooting 180gr Barnes TTSX. I took in addition to the 375 a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby for buffalo hunting. I was using Swift A-Frames in 250gr and 400gr respectively. Her rifle was spot on, but I had minor issues fairly well resolved and we were hunting in Africa!
This was a scheduled 10 day hunt with an 11th for rest and sightseeing so it will take us a bit to recap.
I do want to thank everyone on AH who has posted hunt reports and shared information and encouragement about hunting in Africa. I don’t think we would have planned this adventure without all that we have read and learned here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to help the CBP guys out in Louisville with my serial numbers :LOL:

Sorry it caused a mess though. I had issues with SAPS too, but it helps to have your wits about you and remember where you are. Looking forward to the rest.

Oh wow, sorry about your trouble. I was in the SAPS office on the 18th and saw a guy in a situation like you described, my guy Bruce from Gracy Travel, told me it was wrong serial number.

@R.M.C., that could have been me you saw. We were there on the 18th. If you heard colorful language then definitely me!

My wife @DeadEyeDickless and I are recently returned from our first African hunting. Flew out of Louisville on Aug 17 and landed safely back on Aug 31. United Airlines round trip was without incident. Had lots of anxiety after reading multiple stories on this forum. Used Jennifer @TRAVEL EXPRESS for initial reservations and decided last minute to upgrade to Polaris class for the international flights. Arrived @ Johannesburg well rested, long wait for luggage then on to meet our outfitter and PH. Saw tallest guy in reception, Gerrit almost 2m. Went with us to SAPS for firearms. Used Henry for permits. This is where it got interesting! Had my 4457s but both myself and the CBP agent in Louisville had failed to note what we thought were all numbers were actually a Y, Z and G. Old eyes, small difficult to read serial numbers. SAPS officers took my Winchester 70 .375 HH and ammunition. I wasn’t happy but no recourse, not Rifle Permit problem and they felt sorry. Took everything to the bakkie. I asked to go back to SAPS to see if there was a solution.
TIA.
A phrase I’ve seen on this forum. The room was now clear save the SAPS officers and ourselves and an equitable solution presented itself and I was allowed to take my rifle and ammunition with corrected South African paperwork.
Then off to the incredibly comfortable lodge for a late night meal. Our room was spacious, modern and had a great shower. Slept very well. Up at 6:30 for coffee then to range to check rifles. Miranda took her custom Advanced Weapons Technology 300 WSM shooting 180gr Barnes TTSX. I took in addition to the 375 a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby for buffalo hunting. I was using Swift A-Frames in 250gr and 400gr respectively. Her rifle was spot on, but I had minor issues fairly well resolved and we were hunting in Africa!
This was a scheduled 10 day hunt with an 11th for rest and sightseeing so it will take us a bit to recap.
I do want to thank everyone on AH who has posted hunt reports and shared information and encouragement about hunting in Africa. I don’t think we would have planned this adventure without all that we have read and learned here.
An equitable solution presented itself….once the room was cleared. We’ll played.

Great to hear you worked something out with SAPS and were able to take the rifle hunting.
Looking forward to the rest of the report.

DAY ONE AFTERNOON
Saw lots of animals driving around the property. Blesbok, common and white, zebra, ostrich, blue wildebeest, sables, buffalo, eland, warthogs, grouse and guineas. Made several short unsuccessful stalks before wife made a nice shot on impala. One shot and our first African animal was ready for pictures.
EEF069C8-F07A-4B2B-BEC0-B92F079B807A.jpeg

Is that a Sauer overbarrel suppressor? Looks like a Freyr & Devik that Sauer now imports into the US I think. Such a great design.

DAY TWO
Up before dawn, went to separate property across main road. Immediately saw springbok in field grazing and kudu and hartebeest on hillside on opposite side of a small river. Crossed the river and spotted small herd of hartebeest, short stalk to within 30 yards or so, but no shooters. Still amazing to be that close. Back to the bakkie and spotted solo hartebeest on hillside. Short walk back, on sticks for my first time, uphill about 80 yards with a solid hit, second shot for insurance and I had my first African trophy and one of my list of 4.
671A7DE2-58F0-4BE6-98D6-5639B9267CA2.jpeg

@Goose Cracker, good eye! Yes it is a Freyr and Devik. Because we went through Newark didn’t want to take our suppressor and didn’t want to subject PH to blast from muzzle brake. Had him order this from EuroOptic Africa for her use. Very efficient at sound and recoil mitigation. Left it for others to use in future.

Before we went, wife and I each made a list of 4 animals we most wanted to hunt and a group list of others if the bush provided. Her list was kudu, sable, zebra and blue wildebeest. Mine was buffalo, nyala, gemsbok and hartebeest. Impala, springbok, blesbok, warthog and black wildebeest were on our secondary list.

Before leaving this property we see a male kudu almost a shooter that got wife very excited. She talked about him for next several days but PH kept telling her to remain patient.
Back to main hunting area, continue driving as we have not seen the entire property yet. Spot nice herd of zebra and begin the stalk. Wind and cover were perfect. They never sensed our presence until she fired from about 100-125 yards. Solid sounding thump. We wait a few minutes then approached the site where the mare was standing. Follow blood trail about 50 yards and spot her zebra on the ground. Very happy wife!
217E06C1-DBF2-41B5-A2A4-2452A1EB5DE7.jpeg

Saturday night is barbecue night @ Bos en Dal. Gerrit,his wife, children and in-laws are all there for the braai. His mother-in-law cooked our meals which were delicious. Of course like in America the men do the barbecue. Gerrit and Rikus were superb using the fire and hot coals to cook beef steaks, lamb chops or game. Very warm and friendly family.

Sunday, Day 3, was my birthday. Great way to spend a birthday is hunting in Africa! Spotted a nice blesbok in small herd in open area. Make a stalk, a one-horned blesbok is between me and the target animal but I have an opening and completely whiff on the shot! Animals scattered! So take a deep breath and regroup.
Few hours later spotted the herd again. This time made an epic stalk. Probably tracked the herd over a mile. We’d get close but no shot opportunity, reposition and animals would have moved farther away. Finally spot the target male away from the herd about 150-200 yards away. On sticks, solid shot, he goes down and then gets up so make a second shot and my birthday blesbok is finally ready for the salt.
E80AED77-5055-4514-B3EA-D431035E4AF3.jpeg

Great looking animals and happy belated birthday Ken!

@BnC 04, good to keep having birthday.

Afternoon, we go to a third adjacent property and see black impala and nyala bulls. Make a stalk just before sunset but get busted by the impala. Make plans to return at first light. Back to the lodge for dinner. Surprised by entire family coming back to celebrate with us. Scratch made birthday cake and homemade caramel ice cream! So good, brought home the recipe for the ice cream!

Day 4, we’re up at first light and go looking for nyala. See 4 separate shooter nyala and target the largest. All were gorgeous. Think they are so beautiful. Made a stalk and my best shot of the trip. Can’t express how grateful to have a second of my list.
E13B5C50-F17C-403D-95DB-69B1F99A719D.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonardMrh

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!