SOUTH AFRICA: An Aussie, Welshman & Texan In Camp With KMG Hunting Safaris

Great report Mark, I am reliving some of my safari through your words. Keep it coming.

Great report Mark, I am reliving some of my safari through your words. Keep it coming.
Cheers Neale, its a bit long winded as I have found it hard to leave out the detail, but I am enjoying reliving the moments in reporting them.

A "Dolly Parton set of horns"??? Lol...that's the best description I've ever heard!!! I'm really enjoying your report. In a few days you've collected the top 3 animals on my wish list for my next trip...kudu, bushbuck and springbok. And once again, KMG is really jumping out at me as the place to go!
Cheers Ragman, no offence to Dolly of course, but the shape was a bit more voluptuous than a tight figure eight. We certainly enjoyed our trip to the East Cape, KMG met all our needs and could not be faulted in our eyes as first timers.

Day Five – 29th April, The pace had been quite hectic since starting the hunt, Sharyn and I agreed that depending on how our hunt for a Black Wildebeest goes today, tomorrow would likely be a rest day. The day started at 06:00 for breakfast and in the ute by 06:30. We had about an hour and a half to travel to a new location, the day looked bright, some gusty wind and a forecast of rain in the afternoon. We met the property manager who was going to tag along for the hunt and provide some local guidance. He said the herds were a bit edgy at the moment and recommended we sit in some low trees and wait for the herd to settle on one of their regular open grassed areas. Both Martin and I thought a stalk would be a good option, particularly with the fresh wind that was blowing, but we agreed to go with the suggested tactics. We arrived at the recommended flat grassed plain, there was a small herd of wildebeest which galloped off at our approach. We found a likely hide in a low tree area which seemed like good cover and gave a good view of the open area. From our position we could also make out a number of lower open areas which our recently disturbed animals had made for and were now being joined by other Wildebeest. Martin counted about 60 animals in the herd and commented there were a few good Bulls. We watch the antics of a couple of Bulls racing around madly trying to size each other up. There was a cloud of dust to our right and a small herd of about a dozen Wildebeest ran into our designated shooting zone. There were no stand outs and they quickly headed off downhill to join the others. By now the hide was getting very uncomfortable for the three of us with the wind picking up to almost gale force as the afternoon rain front was building on the horizon. The large herd we could see down the lower open area looked a bit restless, probably from the bulls racing madly around. They started moving in a large circle and then individual animals peeled off until the whole herd was heading in our direction, dust rising above the trees. Very exciting stuff with a very large herd of black Wildebeest heading in our direction. First there were a couple of scouts up on the flats to check things out but they were soon followed by a continuous trail of animals. The dust was now blowing into our faces from their arrival and the ever increasing strong wind. Martin suggested I get a steady rest on the sticks or where I could get most comfortable to be ready if one of the big bulls comes along. Martin pointed out the big bull we had come for but he was amongst numerous other animals we had no choice but to watch and wait. I continued to watch the bull through my scope and when he was clear of his mates I steadied as best I could and took the shot. I was not quick enough to reload as there was a slim chance to get a second shot but I had missed that opportunity. The Bull peeled off from the main herd, he was hit but not fatally, dam it. We spent a frustrating couple of hours bumping him from one piece of cover to the next not quite getting a finishing shot at him. He moved gingerly in the direction of the main herd, one of the local helpers reported seeing blood streaming down the front left leg as he trotted passed them. With some help from the local team we again located the bull and were able to finishing him off. It was not pretty but as Martin says he’s on the salt. My initial shot was low and forward of the shoulder just below the jugular, unfortunately that was the difference between the penthouse and the sh_thouse, never take hunting for granted. Probably close to the most difficult conditions I have hunted in.
IMG_3757.JPG

Markvm, very nice wildebeest and man those guys are tough, my better half can also attest to shot placement being everything on them!

That is a very nice black Wilderbeast. Mine was shot through both lungs and still went well over 200 yds and took around 2 hrs to locate...... Tough animals. Bruce

Mark you had a great hunt! Nice drop on the horns of your black wildebeest.
I very much appreciated your Dolly Parton horns remark on the kudu. I think you nailed it! I can almost see Dolly there.

Great to meet you and Sharyn in camp. Sandy and I had good time visiting with both of you and the UK team. We just made it back from Cape Town early yesterday morning and after three hours of sleep I was off to work.

That gemsbok was a monster and I couldn't help but gawk at it each time I entered the cooler. Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Great to meet you and Sharyn in camp. Sandy and I had good time visiting with both of you and the UK team. We just made it back from Cape Town early yesterday morning and after three hours of sleep I was off to work.

That gemsbok was a monster and I couldn't help but gawk at it each time I entered the cooler. Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Cheers Robert, glad to hear you guys made it home safely. Sharyn and I had a great time enjoying yourself, Sandy, Richard and Louie's company while in camp as well as all the KMG team. It was great to see the combine hunting enthusiasm of the group, and the sharing of highlights of each others hunting exploits for the day. Although from different parts of the world we all understand and partake in the ancient language of hunting, great memories!

Day 6 – 30th April, A designated rest day, 8 animals in five days which was my list discussed with Marius before arriving, although I had changed out a Hartebeest for the Black Wildebeest. I had contingencies for one or two more additions, so took the day to think on it. A good sleep in, and then a quiet breakfast on our own, there was definitely a chill in the air today. Plenty of time spent during the morning glassing the higher fringe country watching all manner of beasts roaming. Caught up with team Wales at lunchtime to share their triumphs of the day so far. We had the fire going by early afternoon, as Graham the camp manager had replenished the wood stocks the day before. Mid-afternoon Martin took us for a drive through the country in view from the lodge, Sandy also came along for the ride, we saw Blue Wildebeest, Waterbuck, Impala, Blesbok, and maybe a few others. Up the higher back part of the block we stopped in on a old farm house and some sheds. Martin heard there was some old sets of horns in a shed worth having a look at. Sure enough in one of the sheds there was a wall to wall shelf piled high with horns from Bushbuck, Impala, Blesbok, and perhaps other critters, some of the Bushbuck sets were huge. That evening I caught up with Marius and we discussed the option of including a couple of other animals to the list, all good, tomorrow we would be hunting Nyala.
IMG_3785.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

Day 7– 1st May, 06:00 for breakfast and in the ute by 0630, we travelled back to the concession where we had hunted the Kudu and Bushbuck I think 4 days earlier. Heinrich was on a day off today and so were most of the helpers, but the other manager gave us the go ahead. Martin and I had discussed the plan today, we had time so we would take time to access the bulls today and return tomorrow, but I carried the rifle just in case. If you had told me I would see that many Nyala, I would not have believed you, there were Nyala spotted most times we stopped to glass for them. Many I thought would be shooters but Martin’s expert eye would pass over them as being a bit young. We were after a mature old bull with faded body stripes and a well shaped set of horns with the tips turning in for a slight bell shape, and of course with some nice ivory tips. We spotted a number of old bulls with length but not the shape we were after. In the early afternoon Martin found a bull that he was very excited about, he looked great although a little old and ragged to me, Martin commented we might be back tomorrow for that one. We headed over to the other side of the block to glass the higher valleys with the continuous barking of a baboon in the background. Martin had a look for him and found the cheeky bugger was sitting on top of a cactus, he was 320m away, did you want to have a go Martin asked, yep. I took a good rest on a tree branch and gave it a shot but he disappear without the tell tale thud, dam a bit too much hold over, would have loved to make that shot. The day closed after spotting a nice Kudu sunny himself on a comfy knoll.
IMG_3842.JPG
IMG_3849.JPG

Markvm, very nice wildebeest and man those guys are tough, my better half can also attest to shot placement being everything on them!

Thanks Adgunner, I agree I think they are built like tanks but love the look of the Black Wildebeest, was very glad I swapped him with another on my list of animals.

That is a very nice black Wilderbeast. Mine was shot through both lungs and still went well over 200 yds and took around 2 hrs to locate...... Tough animals. Bruce
Cheers Gillettehunter, I can believe it, I think they will keep going until the motor stops pumping.

Mark you had a great hunt! Nice drop on the horns of your black wildebeest.
I very much appreciated your Dolly Parton horns remark on the kudu. I think you nailed it! I can almost see Dolly there.
Thanks CAustin, yep it was a great hunt, I think I have been fortunate to experience what I have on this trip, one of the things that had me include the Black Wildebeest on my list was because of the quality of bulls that Marius's team had previously provided to other hunters, and I was not disappointed. Yep and I will never look at Dolly the same way ever again, all I will see is Kudu horns, lol

By the way Mark did you mention where you are getting your taxidermy work done! If you did I missed it.

By the way Mark did you mention where you are getting your taxidermy work done! If you did I missed it.
I will be getting Hunters and Collectors to do the taxidermy, unfortunately no dip and pack into Aus, could have gone the tanned capes but will wear the extra freight and get the full mounts done.

Day 8 – 2nd May, the day commenced as per yesterday, we headed up the telegraph line road stopping and glassing the ridges, we watched a good Kudu and saw a number of Nyala but they were not of the quality we were seeking. Through the morning we headed to the higher ridges where we had hunted the Kudu previously. We drove on further and stopped a few hundred metres from a watering hole, we headed on foot as we had watch a healthy number of Bulls here last week. I had only walk about twenty metres when I saw a face watching me through some trees between us and the watering home, I froze and grabbed Martin by the shirt. There were some Nyala bulls ahead of us, Martin looked through his glasses and whispered an unidentifiable exclamation? The sticks went up but a young Kudu bull spooked and ran taking the Nyala with him. Martin took off in a quick shuffle with me following, the Nyala had headed down the side of the ridge and we followed. We caught site of them in the thick stuff, as they quietly moved through the thickets, but no shot presented. We followed these beasts through some beautiful but thick gully country, very cool and so shaded it was almost dark. No luck so we headed back to the ute and decided on a break and lunch at the middle lodge. After lunch and mandatory short snooze, we went back to the area the best Bull from yesterday was spotted, glassing from the higher lodge veranda. After some time we headed down the road to the next ridge, as we got to the top of the road another young Kudu bull and Nyala spooked and took off to the left. Martin checked the right hand side exposed hillside with his binos and spotted a good Bull feeding, I am still not sure if it was the bull identified yesterday but we were out of the ute in a flash and setting up the in a hurry but the Bull was still obscured for a safe shot. We kept low as the closest animals were about 200m away as we did not want to disturb them. The sticks were re-positioned a couple of times, to improve the chance of a clear shot. He came out of cover but bottom two thirds of his body was still covered by a bush, I held off, he came out into the clear but was moving with some obvious agitation. They had wind of us and all three bolted, Martin swore and threw his hat down, umm guess it was the bull from yesterday. We followed the fleeing animals on the off chance they pulled up in the next valley hillside area, we walk on over the next ridge and circle back to the vehicle. We had disturbed the area enough so decide to head back to the other side of the block again. The exposed faces were quiet as the wind had increased, Martin remarked they would be heading low, they seemed a lot scarcer to the eye. It was getting late so we were driving out along the telegraph line when Martin stopped for us to check one last lower gully located at the top corner of the block. On queue we sighted a large Bull hiding out of the wind, not quite the shape we were after but very long and large ivory tips. We began a stalk to put the animal in range, the wind was straight into our faces so we were confident, the sticks went up with about two hundred yards to go, he had gone behind some medium scrub, we could still make out his body outline, we waited. Martin said shoot him when he comes out the gap to the left, he was going to go back higher to keep an eye on him. The old bull would just not come out and the light was fading quickly. It had come time to get right up close or we would miss him. We made a quiet stalk right up to the bushes, I turn the scope down to 2 power, we entered the hidden area we had last seen him but there was no sign of him, just completely disappeared. We could see Oli back up the ridge looking at us with his hands in the air. Oli had a good view of proceedings and saw the Bull go into the same bush we had walk through but had not seen where the bull had gone. The light had faded by the time we climbed back up to the ute so we headed home dodging all manner of wildlife on the way home via Martin’s dirt road short cut. It was a great day spent observing some quality Nyala, attempting a number of opportunities on good Bulls, but alas no cigar, there is always tomorrow, that’s hunting.

Day 9 - 3rd May, This morning’s weather was a little cloudy with Martin confirming there was a forecast for some showers today, we would be hunting the same area again and team Wales will also be hunting the same concession I think for a Kudu and Nyala. We all shared breakfast and headed off in tandem down the dirt short cut road to the concession. Martin hit the brakes as a Jackal ran across the road, he grab his rifle but he was through the fence and away, they don’t like them much over here . We all checked in with Heinrich and the other property manager, we went to one end of the Concession and team Wales headed the other way. As with previous days the high lodge veranda provided an excellent viewing platform of the ridges below. The wind blew up from the river valley and had us reaching for a fourth layer, particularly when it started to rain lightly, but it was only a short shower. There were a good number of animals on the open faces, some reasonable bulls, but not the one from the past two days. Each time you looked at a previous area you had already glassed, another Bull would have appeared from the thick vegetation. Martin was intently watching three bulls of interest on top of the second ridge away from us. We decided to drive the downhill road just sufficiently enough to hop out and walk to the top of the next small ridge which gave us a closer look at the area the three bulls were in. he was waiting for one to come out of the thick stuff as he thought it may be a very good Bull. Martin slowly opened the sticks as I carefully placed the rifle. Wait for him to be broadside and clear, I had a good view of him, felt steady in the sticks, I took the shot. It was a hit but he kept going into the tree line to the left, I reloaded immediately after the first shot, then took a second then a third, I had a forth shot ready but lost sight of him. Oli said he saw him go down, after a 10 minute wait, Martin sent him in to look. Oli could not find the downed bull so up we went to help find him. There was a good load of blood along the trail including some lung blood. Martin opted to give Heinrich a call to use Tikka the jack Russel to locate the bull as the cover was very thick. Heinrich arrive soon after but it had started raining, I thought to myself how will this turn out now. Tikka had some short runs but was obviously having difficulty picking up the trail. Heindrich and Martin headed off down gully while Sharyn and I retraced steps back to the blood trail. A little later Oli gave us a call to follow as Tikka had found the bull, much relief to hear that I can tell you. My first shot had been low and back, my second or third had shattered the top of the left leg, these animals are unbelievably tough, Tikka had found and bailed him for a finishing shot. Many appreciative thanks were given to Heinrich and Tikka for finding the bull. It had been an action packed two and one half days hunting, finally a beautiful old Nyala bull lay at our feet. My nerves had been tested the last couple of animals but I still had the desire and time for one more hunt.
IMG_3869.JPG
IMG_3894.JPG

Markvm, I don't know what you do for a living but you might want to consider writing, excellent read! I have had the pleasure of chasing Nyala in the exact same spot and incidentally using the same viewing platform!

That is a great looking Nyala. Congrats! Bruce

Very nice bull Nyala

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.