SOUTH AFRICA: 10 Day Buffalo/Plains Game Safari With KMG Hunting Safaris July 15

Heck of a black wildebeest there. I have two and I could hunt another happily.
Yea, very cool animals.

There were a ton of them. Challenge was finding “the one”

We succeeded

Congrats great animals and hunt!

CA6470DA-431E-45E2-90F3-B6E27D945CF6.jpeg
12A12C0C-20E0-46C4-B964-5DB555B7180A.jpeg
9B6DD024-3381-4373-ABB7-8642CC2F1322.jpeg

Another Day w Marius…another Trophy in the salt.

Second day of chasing Fallow Deer in the mountains Marius spotted two buck Fallow Deer from 2 miles away climbing from their feed ground up to their bedding ground on the mountain side to the left of the canyon behind me.

Had a challenging & exciting stalk to get on top of the cliff on the right of the pic. After maneuvering behind several boulders we found a spot where I could see the Fallow Bucks bedded on the hillside across the canyon and wedge my old broken body into a crevasse for a 238 yard shot. The wind was howling up the canyon and caused tremendous drift. My rock solid aim point was the middle of the body…the yellow dot in Pic 2, figuring the bullet to drift onto the shoulder. The bullet drifted past his shoulder and you can see where the shit hit and spined him in the neck!!! I should have been holding almost to his back leg to hit the shoulder

He was a very old buck, 8 years old (they live 9 max) with points broken off his palms from fighting and for the third time…teeth worn to the gums. Once again I took an old animal past him prime with tons of character so I am thrilled.

The Fallow Deer hunt was the most challenging I have had in 3 trips to Africa and gave me the feeling of a desert sheep hunt.

I passed a really nice Impala this morning and we are still looking for a big Warthog

When I finish hunting I will give a day by day recap of my tremendous trip w KMG

People coming to hunt the Eastern Cape should consider bringing knee pads.

We did some crawling on both Buffalo stalks, the Black WB stalk, both Fallow Deer stalks and one of the Warthog stalks…mostly on rock and through thorns…

I wore KUIU Pro Pants with the built in knee pads, which were great but I wish the built in pads were even thicker. My knees still took a beating.

And leather gloves for the same reason. I take the trigger hand glove off to shoot but they are invaluable when crawling

Day 1

So back in the US and starting to catch up on things so want to give a day by day recap of my TREMENDOUS hunt with KMG.

After two prior PG hunts in Namibia with an outfitter in the Kalahari Desert and RSA with KMG, this trip was all about a Cape Buffalo for me. I had collected Kudu, Eland, Steenbok, Springbok, Hartebeest, a giant Gemsbok, two Impala, Nyala, Bushbuck, Mtn Reedbuck, Blesbok, Blue Wildebeest and Bontebok on my prior two trips. So this trip I was there for my first DG hunt and along the way hoping to fill a couple holes in my collection.

Besides the Buffalo, I wanted a Black WB to go with my blue and I wanted a Fallow Deer.

I could go to Texas and shoot a Fallow Deer but down there, they are just something somebody stuck on a ranch and have no history. In RSA, the Fallow Deer were brought over by the British in the 1800s and have been there ever since and have become an African animal over the century and a half.

I also LOVE Impala, they are the "Whitetail Deer" of Africa. To me, nothing says "Africa" like the Kudu and the Impala. So even though I had two on the wall already, I told Marius that if we could find a monster Impala that would be an upgrade over my two I would want him.

And finally....I wanted to try for a Warthog. I did not get one on my first two trips to Africa. I saw plenty but either they were not shooters or they were shooters but we saw them while on a stalk for a higher priority animal. I mean, I was not gonna quit a stalk on a target Kudu or Eland and shoot a warthog. So on my two prior hunts, after I collected my prime animals it was like "OK, let's go get a warthog!" Then we couldn't find a shooter. That was my luck with the Warthogs. :)

So this trip I hoped to knock off a good warthog. So my list wasn't long this trip. Cape Buffalo, Black WB, Fallow Deer, Warthog and possibly a monster Impala. I scheduled 10 days so we would not have to rush. If we took 10 days and just got me a nice Hard Bossed Cape Buffalo I would have been perfectly happy but I hoped to collect a couple more things off my list also.

I was bringing my Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 H&H for the Cape Buffalo and would use Marius' 300 Win Mag on the PG.

045719E0-1456-4458-988D-0FD7354E86E7.jpeg

When Marius picked me up in East London, we got my rifle through SAPs and headed to the lodge. Along the way, Marius explained his plan. The full moon had passed just a couple days before I arrived and Marius wanted to try for Impala and warthog for a couple days. This would give me a chance to further adjust to the time change and get used to stalking in the bush again before getting serious about the Buffalo. We would then move to an area that was great for Fallow Deer and practically overrun with Black WB for a couple days, then return to the main lodge and pick up on the Warthog and Impala if need be. On his prior hunts, Marius had spotted a REALLY GOOD Impala running with a group of does in a remote area of the main lodge ranch, so we had a target. Was a great plan...Marius knew it would be good to let the moon get darker and his old hunter get back in the stalking grove before we went for the main event...the Buff.

We got to the lodge then checked the sites on the rifles so then we were good to go.

Rigby supervised the sight in process and kept us safe when we walked to check targets! :)

223D5849-BEB2-4D49-B049-A555BDEE6F25.jpeg
F0D31CED-75BB-44FE-A24E-33E51F4DA63D.jpeg

59FAFFFE-6267-4A69-9885-C2491CD78027.jpeg

5C435E99-9E6F-43A5-9487-F19755D2BCCE.jpeg

So the first morning saw us drive to an area where Marius and Lloyd his tracker had seen a big warthog multiple times. We parked the truck and hiked the area stopping and glassing for the big pig. After not spotting him for a while we got in the truck to check out the ranch from a different area so we drove around to another hillside, parked the truck and started glassing. Within minutes, Lloyd saw him and Marius and I got on him with our binoculars. He was trotting, not spooked but just steadily trotting across a valley then up a hill going away from us. He went over the hill, so we hightailed it down into the valley and up the other side. When we to to the top, we peered over the crest of the hill but could not see him. There were several thick areas on the other side of the hill so after glassing the edges of the thick stuff without spotting him, we moved closer and stalked along hoping to spot him.

Unfortunately he had disappeared.

Marius and Lloyd had seen that pig in the first valley before and we concluded that his den must be somewhere in the area where we were at and that he typically feeds back into the other valley where there was a pond for water as well. By now it was getting on toward mid day and we figured the pig to be down for a while, then get back up in the late afternoon, so we made plan to come back and post on the hillside in the afternoon and see if he comes out. So then it was back to the lodge for lunch.

That afternoon saw us set up in a sniper position overlooking the valley where we first saw him. It was normal operating procedure for a old whitetail hunter to get in a good spot and wait, so I had no problem with the plan.

A large herd of Impala feed through the valley, with a Ram in the group, but he was not bigger than I already had, so we pardoned him....but unfortunately, the pig was a "No Show". It was getting towards last light so we hopped in the truck and drove over a nearby hill, to check if he wasn't in the next valley over. He wasn't there but we saw a beautiful Bushbuck Ram sneaking along through the bush. I would have been tempted to take him as I thing Bushbuck are probably the prettiest antelope in RSA (as evidenced by my full body mount of one in the original post in this thread) but Marius had already filled his quota on them for this area, so we just watch him walk as the light faded away.

So nothing in the salt Day 1 but I was far from discouraged as it was great to be back in Africa with Marius and I knew we were just getting warmed up!

Stay tuned for the rest of the hunt...got to get some work done then I will continue.

Last edited:
Great to get back to Africa. That first day is great to acclimate and get the eyes adjusted to seeing the animals. Looking forward to the rest of your report.
Bruce

Day 2

So for Day 2 we decided to give that warthog a rest and go look for the very large Impala that Marius had spotted a few times leading up to my hunt.

Dawn saw us eating a quick breakfast and my wife Toni and I piled into the hunting vehicle with Marius and Lloyd the tracker.

The day started like most days in Africa. Get high and glass. We rode the rough roads to a summit on the far end of the ranch, where a river forms the border. From there we could glass a couple large hills (small mountains) that bordered a ag field along the river. Marius had seen big impala there a couple times recently.

39378697-8A3A-409C-A5A3-51DF94C6577C.jpeg

Marius, Llyod and I put our bino's to work while Toni gave her camera a workout. We spotted Kudu cows and a bull, a sow warthog and two youngsters, a pair of Nyala bulls, a band of impala but not the one we were looking for.

After about 40 minutes Marius said "There they are" as a band of impala fed up out of a valley between two hills. They were almost two miles way but feeding in our direction. At the tail end was a ram. A quick check through the spotting scope confirmed that it was THE ram. Best of all there was a road on the hillside opposite of where they were heading were we would have a reasonable shot of 200-300 yards across a canyon to them. So we would drive down the mountain we were on, get on the top of the road that would run along side them on the other side of the canyon and stalk down until we were close enough for a shot. But the impala decided not to go along with the plan.

Just as we were about to pile into the vehicle and reposition for the stalk, the herd swapped ends and headed back where they came from into a valley on the opposite side of the hill we were watching them on.

Hastily, Marius put together a new plan. He knew of road along a powerline running across the top of the second mountain. He hoped that if we circled around and got up on that powerline access road we would be able to see into that valley we had watched them filter into and get a chance for a stalk. So off we went.

About 30 minutes later we got out of the vehicle on the top of the second mountain and inched down along the powerline peering into the valley. But unfortunately, we could not find the heard. They had disappeared into the thick African bush of the East Cape. People that have not hunted the East Cape of RSA probably don't realize that this part of the world is rugged mountains, cliffs and valleys covered with thick bush. It makes for a tremendously fun hunting experience and the contours allow you to use the landscape to your advantage. But is is far from shooting fish in a barrel. You have to work for your animals.

So we retired to the lodge for lunch and figured to come back in the afternoon and see if they return to feed as evening approached.

After lunch found us heading over the rough mountain road back to where we first spotted the impala we wanted. As we came down a mountainside, Marius stopped the vehicle. In a valley below us he had spotted some kudu cow and 3 warthog feeding in a clearing. Marius is amazingly good at spotting game. Out cam the spotting scope and BINGO....one of the warthog was a big tusker. After a quick conference, I confirmed I wanted to go after the big pig...because a big tusked warthog in a clearing is worth two Impala in the bush! :)

Marius lead me down the road and when we got near the valley floor, Marius angled through the bush. 30 minutes after we left the vehicle we eased into a gap at the edge of the clearing and like clockwork the big pig feed into site 125 yards away. We sat down and Marius slapped the short shooting sticks in front of me. From the sitting position I was struggling to keep the warthog in a lane to shoot through between the brush, so we went to plan B and eased to our feet and Marius placed the standing sticks in front of me. Now I had a perfect view of the pig but we we rushing a bit out of fear that the kudu cows would see us and spook.

I was using Marius' 300 Win Mag....a sweet ass gun with a suppressor that was totally dialed in and my confidence was very high. As I settled into the scope, I flicked off the safety and put my finger in the trigger housing as I started to move the crosshairs onto the pig. When I first got in the scope the crosshairs were above the pig so I was moving the scope down onto him but before I got onto him....bang....in my excitement of finally ending my my warthog drought I apparently had applied some pressure on the trigger unintentionally and sent a round whistling right over him into the hillside behind him. I had given the pig PTSD and cursed at myself for several seconds LOL

In hindsight, knowing I was to use Marius' gun I should have dry fired it a couple times before we left the lodge just to get a feel for the trigger pull. I run my rifles at about 2.5 - 2.75 lbs and Marius' gun was set lighter. Not bad in any way, just lighter than was used to. Totally my fault. And knowing exactly where mine break I had gotten into the habit of getting my finger settled on the trigger as soon as I prepare to shoot. I have killed dozens and dozens of animals and have never fired before I was ready...until then. But from that moment I made it a rule that the finger stays outside the trigger housing until I am settled on the kill zone. A good habit to have.

So despite Marius' outstanding work, I had accidently pardoned a really nice pig and continued my bad luck with warthogs :(

Later that evening Marius gave me shit about not giving the pigs a warning shot anymore and all I could do was laugh. I had it coming :)

It was getting late in the afternoon by now but we still had enough time to go check the valley for the Impala. So we proceeded to the area and parked the hunting vehicle and stalked down the road to the valley were we could see many Impala feeding. The big boy was not in the valley...yet...but Impala were still filtering down off the hillside. So we had pretty good hope our boy might show up.

Then suddenly we heard shouting from the hillside across the river from our ranch. A group of poachers were driving game on the other side of the river and even though they had no opportunity at our animals, the Impala we were stalking/watching lifted their heads, looked in the direction of the poachers that were 500 yards away across the river and spooked into the bush.

And that was the end of the stalk.

So Day 2 left me still with no animal in the salt, but still I was not the least bit discouraged because I had completely blown a chance at a big pig and had a freak encounter with poachers end the evening stalk on Impala. But after dinner we were leaving to another area to work on the Cape Buffalo. I was itching for a chance to redeem myself after giving that pig PTSD and prove myself worthy of the great effort Marius had been putting in.

As a footnote, we saw the same pig later in the hunt on a mountain a mile above the valley were I blew the chance on him. I think we could see him shaking through the spotting scope with a nervous tick still from my whistling a 180 grain Sierra Gameking over his back. :) This is him through a spotting scope on the mountainside a few days later up above the valley where we stalked him.

54B194DD-AB3D-4091-9892-B0E8C1A2D62D.jpeg

Next, the full story on the stalks on the Cape Buffalo

Last edited:
Truly hunting in South Africa, poachers and all. (y)

The warthog picture is a bit grainy so details are rough but from the looks of it, I'd be a bit heartbroken to have missed that one :ROFLMAO:

Day 3

After the 2nd days hunting, we ate dinner and took off to the area where we would be hunting the Cape Buffalo and checked into the lodge. We were assigned a suite and then met the lodge manager and his wife for drinks and apps around the fire pit.

Was awesome to be sitting in Africa listening to the sounds as darkness settled over the land.

The next morning, we got up and had a early breakfast then set out just as dawn was breaking to find a good Cape Buffalo. I was excited and I'm not gonna lie, a little nervous. This was my first Dangerous Game hunt and the mistake on the Warthog was still hanging over my psyche...haunting me. When the time came with a Cape Buffalo, I didn't want to be thinking about mistakes, just about placing a killing shot. So I shelved the negative thoughts and jumped in the hunting vehicle.

It didn't take very long to get to a good glassing spot where Marius and the ranch manager expected we could see Buffalo and look for a trophy.
The warthog picture is a bit grainy so details are rough but from the looks of it, I'd be a bit heartbroken to have missed that one :ROFLMAO:
I was...I was

He was a big bastard.

And lucky :)

Day 3

After the 2nd days hunting, we ate dinner and took off to the area where we would be hunting the Cape Buffalo and checked into the lodge. We were assigned a suite and then met the lodge manager and his wife for drinks and apps around the fire pit.

Was awesome to be sitting in Africa listening to the sounds as darkness settled over the land.

The next morning, we got up and had a early breakfast then set out just as dawn was breaking to find a good Cape Buffalo. I was excited and I'm not gonna lie, a little nervous. This was my first Dangerous Game hunt and the mistake on the Warthog was still hanging over my psyche...haunting me. When the time came with a Cape Buffalo, I didn't want to be thinking about mistakes, just about placing a killing shot. So I shelved the negative thoughts and jumped in the hunting vehicle.

It didn't take very long to get to a good glassing spot where Marius and the ranch manager expected we could see Buffalo and look for a trophy.

They were correct.

We got to the top of a hill where we could see 2-3 miles in all directions. In front of us was a steep canyon choked with brush and across the canyon, up the other side was a grass plain that held two separate herds of buffalo that could be plainly seen with the naked eye. The were just under a mile away as the crow flies. Marius looked over the two herds and set his sights on a old hard bossed bull. The road we drove out on actually continued down through the valley and up along the grass flats but the vehicle would certainly spook them. So the plan was to go down through the canyon and back up the other side and inch up the edge of grass plain, hopefully before they finished feeding and started heading back into the thick cover. That mile as the crow flies was more like 2+ miles down and back up.

So we left the ranch manager and Lloyd the tracker on the hill with their binoculars and the spotting scope and a hand held two way radio so he could let us know if they moved and keep us sneaking on line as we made our way through the canyon. A real military style operation.

Nick, a PH that works for Marius was earning his Dangerous Game certification so he joined us in order to gain DG experience. So Marius, Nick and their 62 year old client took off down through the canyon. The going down was easy enough, I just had to pick my way through making sure I didn't roll an ankle (or worse) on a loose rock or something. When we got to the bottom, we checked with our spotter who guided us to a slight course correction to insure we came up in front of the old guy., then started up the hill. I was not in near as good of shape as I wished I was so we picked our way up the hill slowly, stopping occasionally for me to get my breath. We were about 1/3 up the other side when our spotter let us know the bull we were after and 6 cows had left the grass plain and were heading down into the canyon right at us!!!

There was a small two track road running across the hillside we we moved downwind so the buffalo would cross that road upwind of us and set up the shooting sticks waiting for the buffalo to cross. But the buffalo had other plans....they bedded down on the hillside above us!!!

So now we had a bit of a pickle. The buffalo were bedded above us, less than 100 yards away. So we put a plan together to try and get closer see if we could not work into a shooting position. We had a crosswind so the wind was in our favor and we starting inching further up the hill closing the gap. At first we crouched but as was got closer we were on our hands and knees to keep from being seen. Crawling up a rock/gravel hillside inches at a time, while trying to make sure we did not break and twigs or roll loose stone was slow going. I was thankful for the build in knee pads on my KUIU Pro Pants but actually wished the padding was 2x as thick (feedback I gave to KUIU after my hunt) Even with the pads in the pants my knees took a beating.

Eventually we worked to within 50 yards of the group of buffalo. We were at the edge of a small clearing and could pick out black shapes in the grass on the other side of the clearing bedded down. We could hear the Buffalo making whatever sounds Buffalo make when bedded. Whispering into the radio, Marius got the news we were dreading from out spotter. The bull was at the back of the group from us, with the cows between us.

We were screwed.

Knowing the Buffalo would probably spend most of the day bedded where they were, then head back up to the grass flats towards evening we had no choice but to back out the way we came and put a plan together for the evening. If we spooked the buffalo and educated them that they were being hunted, they would stay in the thick stuff until after dark for several days and we wanted them unaware of us and our desire to put that bull on the dirt. So we crawled back down the hill until we were out of sight, then got up and walked back to the truck to regroup and strategize a plan for the evening.

We decided that if we came back in the early afternoon we could drive to the far side of the grassland without disturbing the bedded buffalo and sneak back toward the bedded Buffalo and wait for them to climb back up to feed in the grassland.

So we left Lloyd the tracker with a cooler of drinks and lunch and the handheld radio. He sat in the shade a tree on the hillside watching the buffalo while we went to lodge for lunch.

Early afternoon saw Nick, Marius and I take a route around the buffalo to the back of the grass flats where we parked the vehicle and hiked the mile or so back through the grass toward the edge of the canyon where the Buffalo were bedded. Once again our spotters on the far hill across the canyon almost a mile a way directed us to keep us on line with the bedded buffalo and we set up behind a tree waiting for buffalo to return to feed. We again had a stiff crosswind going left to right and slightly in our face, so if they came out to our left, they were be upwind of us, and if they came out to our right they would have to get past us before they could smell us and we should have time to kill the bull before they were in position to wind us.

Our spotters were sure we should be able to see them, as we were less than 50 yards from the Buffalo they told us. We could hear them but we could not see them. The slope from the edge of the canyon and the tall grass and small trees kept them mostly hidden. A couple times Nick and Marius could get a glimpse of black through the grass and trees but could not make if it was the bull or a cow, much less see the kill zone.

This pic was taken through the spotting scope from the far hillside and shows just how close we were!!!

ABAD0197-266A-4F4D-B773-EB3405B6475C.jpeg

By now it was after 2:30pm and we could get no closer and the best plan was to just wait them out. The sun would be behind the hills by 5pm and we hoped they would come out well before that.

So we settled in and waited.....3pm....3:30pm....4pm....still sitting behind the tree with the shooting sticks in position waiting for the Buffalo to emerge up the hillside below us.

4:30pm and the sun was getting close to settling behind the hills to our west when all of a sudden our spotter came over the radio and said "Their moving!!!!"

But once again, the buffalo forgot to follow the plan. Instead of coming straight up out of the canyon to us, they were angling up to our left coming out to feed by moving slowly away from us as they did so!!!

When Marius heard this the gathered the shooting sticks and we hastily did a half circle back from the edge of the hillside and 100 or so yards to our left while crouching low in the the tall grass to get in front of them and then got a tree between us and moved into position. By now the sun was behind the hillside to our west and darkness was just starting to come on!

No sooner had we set up in the new position, then a black form came slowing around a bush 85 yards away...then followed by another...and another.

I was in the sticks with the safety off (and finger outside the trigger guard!) and looking through the Leupold Var-X III 1.5x5 scope, I never saw the bull's head as he moved, slowly feeding through the tall grass. But Marius and Nick looking through their binoculars, assured me that the bull we wanted was the lead animal so I was going on their counsel. The bull's head was down in the grass, and the grass covered his legs, so I was a bit challenged trying to find the sweet spot on his shoulder 1/3 of the way up his body that would give me a heart/lung shot through the near leg/shoulder. I had little for reference besides a large black body with no head, legs or tail. I was just able to make out his shoulder but at 85 yards, in the fading light I was wishing for a little more magnification than my scope set on 5x was giving me. I just wanted to have a little more detail to find the "spot on the spot" of the shoulder to help me "aim small" But it was what it was and now the bull was starting to angle slightly away and it was getting darker by the second....so it was now or never!

I settled the scope just behind what I could make out as his shoulder for a shot forward through the lungs and squeezed the trigger.

BOOM...the Federal Hi Energy load pushing a 300 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw ignited and split the darkness with sound and fire. The Buffalo took off back down into the canyon without giving any indication of a hit but I was confident my shot was good...just praying that the spot I picked to shoot was correct.

Over the radio we got news that the group had run down hill into the bush but that the bull had stumbled and then got back up and started running again. We also were informed that the bull had split off from the main group. Both good indications of a solid hit ... but God knows how many hunters thought they had a dead Cape Buffalo, later to find out they didn't! We told the ranch manager to bring the hunting vehicle with Lloyd and the the tracking dogs Flex and Rigby while we stood on the edge of the slope looking and listening down into the thick brush. We listened for a "death bellow"...but never heard one. Marius reminded me that many times that doesn't happen. The whole time I was there with my .375 on and scope down to 1.5 while Marius had his .500 Nitro Express Double and Nick with a .416 Rem Mag all ready to unload if a pissed off, wounded Buffalo started coming our way.

A couple minutes later the hunting truck was next to us and the dogs were fitted with tracking collars with flashing lights so we could follow their movement through the brush as we set them on the trail in the direction the bull had run. There was zero blood trail and Rigby struggled a bit to find "the track" in the midst of lots of buffalo tracks. But quickly, Flex, the wise old veteran of many, many tracking jobs picked of the smell of a wounded animal even without a blood trail and took off into the bush. A couple minutes later we heard the "yap yap yap" of Flex signaling he had found "his animal". Problem is we didn't know if "his" animal was dead or cornered waiting for the people that eventually follow tracking dogs in.

Slowly the 3 of us inched forward, spread out, but in line side by side through the ever darkening bush. Guns were at the shoulder with safety off pointing in the direction of the barking dogs. By now Rigby had joined Flex and both of them were yapping away so we had no problem knowing the line. But it was getting darker by the second and we wanted to end the drama before it was pitch black. Tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife when we got to within 30 yards and could see the lights of the dogs collars in front of us.

Suddenly we could see the black form on the ground 20 yards in front of us! Marius called his dogs to him and I put an insurance shot into the buff....he never flinched. Marius inched forward and touched the bull's eye with the barrel of his double rifle. No reaction. He was stone dead from my first shot but there is no such thing as a wasted insurance shot on a buffalo...especially in thick cover...and especially with darkness almost upon us.

Relief flowed through the group and there were high fives all around. Hastily I got down by the Buff's head and Nick took a flash photo to capture forever the moment I found my first Cape Buffalo after a adrenaline filled hunt. You cant see much of the Buff's head in that photo but you can see the expression on my face and the thickness of the cover and the darkness we were in...all of which captures the moment more than the size/shape of his horns and boss.

21EF938F-C1C6-448E-82B6-474959B317E2.jpeg

The ranch manager called for a tractor and 30 minutes later a team of guys rolled my Cape Buffalo onto the platform and the tractor carried him up out of the bush to a clearing where we set him up to come back in the morning and take the "formal" trophy photos.

All I knew is that at that moment, I was overcome with the knowledge that a 20+ year dream of hunting a Cape Buffalo had been achieved.

The problem is....now I want to hunt MORE Cape Buffalo :)

We got back to lodge and informed Toni, my wife, that I was still alive and a Cape Buffalo wasn't. She has gone along and took the photographic story of many of hunts but she just plain did not want to be there when I shot a Cape Buffalo in case things went wrong. So she spent the afternoon on a game drive taking photos and then drinking wine wondering if she would be a widow at the end of the day LOL

I think she was happy she wasn't a widow in spite of losing out on the prospect of collecting a life insurance payment. :)

This is what my knees looked like after hunting Cape Buffalo

E031D233-909A-407F-B2B3-490DDC8E40D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 4

I slept like a baby after the days stalks and excitement with the Cape Buffalo, but we were up at dawn to grab breakfast and go back to the Cape Buffalo for the Trophy shots in the daylight and to get the Buff to the skinning shed.

It was down into the high 30s so we knew the buff would be ok temp wise, but there were things besides temp were were concerned about.

There was a small chance that a predator or pack of predators might find the bull. We parked the tractor right next to it and we left some human jackets on the bulls horns in hope the smell of diesel and human would discourage approach by predators.

There was a slightly bigger chance that one or more of the other bulls in the area would attack their fallen comrade. Often when a herd bull dies the younger ones will take out their frustration by goring and stomping the dead herd bull.

When we got close to where we had left the bull and tractor we could see a dozen or so younger bulls milling around. They ran off when they saw the hunting truck approaching and got started with the photos. This time Toni was happy to join us :)

5208ED97-F01D-434A-9A37-A08A7D91A1A7.jpeg

62658C99-ABCD-4C1F-B613-5956F2B0F89F.jpeg

72BB9660-604E-4409-9DA0-F9D98E2F873C.jpeg

F4425240-D19D-425A-A194-BE1D8C10ACB0.jpeg

After the photos were taken, the skinners got to work caping my trophy and preparing the skull.
We would wait for them to finish and then head back to the main lodge.

When they pulled the killing bullet from the buff it had torn through the top of his lungs and ended in the far shoulder.

The 300 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw had performed perfectly. A beautiful mushroom with no core separation.

At 85 yards, the bullet had entered the bull at something over 2350 FPS and delivered a little more than 3670 Ft Lbs of energy into him. The recovered bullet weighed 281.1 grains as recovered, against the original 300 grains. A 93.7% weight retention. Quite impressive performance that resulted in a one shot kill and a big Cape Buffalo bull down within 100 yards of where I shot him. But man, was that a nerve wracking track in the dark!

4BC1940A-6050-437F-9C99-49CFDB20992B.jpeg

BF7B1D34-0956-4033-9A1E-1702F2AFED3B.jpeg

61A974BA-B3E3-41F6-8EC4-9CD669DFB027.jpeg

35D59ACF-3CAA-403B-8613-493DF44724BA.jpeg

After the trophy parts of the buff were ready we drove back to the main ranch for dinner. My spirits were off the charts knowing that I had my Cape Buffalo in the salt!

Last edited:
Days 5 - Part 1

After getting my dream Dugga Boy, my hunt was a success already. In my mind, anything we did after that was just icing on the cake. But we still had 6 days to enjoy in the East Cape with Marius so we set out to put some more animals in the salt.

We got up and had breakfast, then set off an area that Marius knew that held good Fallow Deer and was swarming with Black Wildebeest. Marius could have gotten me a Fallow Deer and Black WIldebeest closer to the main lodge, but he knew of one area that was very good for both and would provide a interesting and different hunting experience than the area around the main lodge.

We drove 3 hours to a significantly higher elevation area. Very rugged rock outcroppings, often covered with pine/spruce trees that truly reminded me of the badlands in the Dakotas or the Eastern Wyoming before you get to the rockies. And we gained significant elevation so it was much cooler, which didn't bother me in the least. I prefer hunting in the "cool to cold" over "warm to hot" personally and I felt like I was in "Mule Deer Country".

We got to a ranch house by 10am, unloaded our gear to our assigned rooms, were given sack lunches and drinks and took off to see what we could see. Our targets were Fallow Deer and Black Wildebeest but the ranch owner had told Marius that had seen a magnificent Kudu on several occasions and I confirmed with Marius that even though I have a Kudu on the wall, if we saw the "monster" and it was as described I would happy give him a dirt nap.

We had slowly moved out from the ranch house, eyes peeled. We had only been on the move for 15-20 minutes when Marius spotted 3 Fallow Deer and busted out the spotting scope. He felt one of the three was pretty good but there were in a area that would be challenging to get close enough for a shot. We watched them for a bit, then decided to move on, making a note to check on them later in the day if we had not taken a Fallow Deer.

As we moved about the ranch, Black Wildebeest were litterly everywhere. Seeing bulls was not an issue. We just had to find "the one"...a bull that was truly specatular. With that many BWB to look over Marius had his sights set on a monster and I of course, was happy to go along with that concept.

We moved along, glassing multiple herds of BWB and saw Eland, Springbok and Blesbok as well. About noon we stopped before crossing topping over a large mountain pass and ate our lunch.

After lunch, we decided to hike to the top of the pass into the next valley and look at what we could see from the top of the hill before driving over the top. Marius knew that the sloping hillside over the crest often held animals and wanted to take a look before we spooked anything that might be on the other side. Once again...a good call by Marius.

Just as we got to the top, me following Marius in single file as is the norm when moving on foot, Marius suddenly squatted in front of me. I immediately did the same. Marius turned and whispered that there was a herd of Black Wildebeest on then hillside and Marius wanted to look them over. Stayed in place while Marius inched forward keeping a rock pile between himself and the animals while he peered around bolders to evaluate the herd for a suitable trophy. After a few minutes Marius motioned me forward. Crouching, I made my way to Marius and the told me there was a brusier of a BWB in the group and I crawl up and get in shooting position on the rock pile in front of us. So we crawled over the rocky hillside up on the rock pile and I placed the gun on my jacket between layed over some rocks for a rest. The herd was right in front of us, some of the animals maybe 125 yards out, others as much as 200 yards out. The one we wanted was about 150 yards out. Marius quietly directed me, helping me to find the Bull he wanted me to take as I searched for him in the scope of his .300 Win Mag. It took me a bit, but eventually I was settled on the bull he was looking at and started preparing to begin the shot process. I was bringing my breath under control, preparing to exhale and hold, then start the trigger squeeze (remembering not to repeat the mistake on the warthog I had kept my finger outside the trigger guard).

Just as I started to hold my breath for the shot the BWB started milling around neverously. It seems that one or a couple of them had spotted us or at least some movement as I was getting in place for the shot. They were not "spooked" but they were nervous. I waited to see if they would settle back down but instead they trotted around to the other side of the rock outcropping we were on.

Marius motioned for me to follow him. We quickly backed up a bit and then, while crouching moved around to the other side of the big rock outcropping. Happily, the herd was there. Still not "spooked", but suspicious, scanning the rocks upon which we were laying looking for trouble.

This time fate was playing on our team as the target bull was the furthest one on the right of the herd, so it was much easier for me to get on "the bull" then it was when he was somewhat in the middle of the herd. He was straight broadside facing left and only 120 yards out so I quickly set the crosshairs on his shoulder, took a breath, let it out 2/3s and squeezed the trigger! BOOM! The 180 Grain Sierra Gameking blasted thought both shoulders and the bull dropped in his tracks. He never took a step.

I racked a new round into the chamber and watched him take his last breaths as he laid on the ground, ready to hit him again if he struggled to his feet.

But he didn't.

It was over.

Clearing the chamber and putting the gun on safe, we walked down to my second trophy of the trip.

Marius had said were were going to hold out for a really good one....well....we got that part right. The bull had it all. Heavy, wide bosses and great mass all along his horns, which dropped deep and then rose high. Once again, the animal had teeth worn to the gums and was probably in the last year of his life. The bull was a specatular Black Wildebeest. A perfect one to remove from the herd and the perfect one for me to look at for the rest of my life!

High fives were given and Marius called Lloyd and Toni to bring the truck.

There was a pond in the valley below us and because we still had several hours of shooting light and we were a significant ways from the ranch house, it was decided that rather than head back and have Llyod start skinning, we decided to have Lloyd field dress the BWB. We then drove him to the pond and dunked him in the water, then covered him with a canvas tarp to keep him shaded and let evapoation keep him cool until the sun got behind the mountains and the temp started dropping.

That way we could keep going and look for a Fallow Deer before starting the trek back to the ranch house.

292E5F1A-D404-47B7-A7E8-DD93C6CF2729.jpeg

3EA71D05-69DE-4244-8AA6-6ADA8D738113.jpeg

25DF4EB8-27E6-4CE0-A1EB-3DB743DEB3C8.jpeg

9557D7F9-E002-4685-97E8-4684B136B48D.jpeg

Last edited:
Days 5 - Part 2 and Day 6

So after killing the BWB and dunking him in the pond, we contined on looking for a good Fallow Deer. We saw a few deer but no shooters, and then with about 90 minutes of light left Marius spotted a group a mile and a half away nestled up at the base of a cliff. 4 Males. There was one white one that really stood out and 3 brown ones. A quick look through the spotting scope confirmed that one of the brown ones was a "shooter" and hastily put a plan together. Marius knew that there was a road that went up the back side of the cliff they were laying against, so we decided to circle around and come up the back side and get right above them. Marius marked a particular rock formation we could find at the top of the cliff for reference and off we went.

We got to the road on the back of the cliff, but had been slowed down by getting stuck in a muddy creek crossing for a few minutes. Marius and Lloyd quickly sorted that out and we were back underway but we lost a little time. We got as close to the top cliff as we dared go with the vehicle, then got out and quickly hiked to the edge. Well, I should say Marius was quick...my old body was still getting in mountain shape so I had to stop several times as we went up, up, up to the edge. About the time we left Africa with 10 days of chasing Marius, I was actually starting to get in the shape I should have been when I left :)

Marius got to the top and located the Fallow Deer below us while I eventually made my way to the cliff edge and took a couple minutes to steady my breathing. The FD were right below us, 60 yards away, but it was a very steep angle down to them. Marius put the 300 Win in a gap in the rocks and up I climbed into shooting position. Marius directed me to which of the 4 was the shooter and I tried to locate him and steady the scope on him. I just had got the right one in the crosshairs and was getting my breath routine started (couple deep breaths, let 3/4 out, hold then squeeze) to shoot when suddenly they jumped up and took off from the base of the cliff running to our left.

Something had spooked them in the valley to their right, we don't know what but it wasn't us. Marius quickly got me around a large boulder we were up against to a spot where we could see the valley where the deer were running. They stopped and milled around nervously about 200 yards out, looking back to their in the direction of whatever had spooked them. I frantically tried to get on the correct animal with Marius coaching me and did, then once again got steady (not easy on the side of a cliff with little for a rest) and was ready to shoot...but the group bolted again.

The next time they stopped they were 400 yards out and there just was no way to pull that shot off from the side of the cliff.

So that Fallow Deer got lucky and doesn't know how close he came to dying.

By then it was almost dark so we headed back to the hunting truck. Because we had not shot and they had not been spooked by us we hoped we could locate them in the morning somewhere in that area. That white one really stood out and would help us find them. Marius and I joked about the 3 brown Fallow Deer telling the white one "GTF away from us....you're gonna get us shot!!" :)

So we headed back to the ranch house and had a tremendous dinner of South African mutton washed down with more great South African red wine.

The next day saw us leaving at the crack of daylight back to the area where we saw the shooter the evening before. He could not be located. So we moved to another valley were Fallow Deer had often been spotted on he hillsides. It was only 8:30am so we figured we could still find some animals feeding before they moved to bed down.

While glassing we saw Blesbok, Sprinbok, Black WB and a couple Sow Warthog with youngsters.

After about 45 minutes of glassing in all directions, Marius spotted some movement on a hiliside above a steep valley 2 miles away. Yes, 2 miles. Quickly we all got on the movement. In my 10x binocs I could see two Fallow Deer moving up the hillside, apparently finished feeding and heading to a spot on the hillside to bed down for the morning. That would give them a good view of anything approaching. I could see the glint of sunlight off the antlers of one of the Fallow Deer but not really see how good he was.

Marius brought the Spotting Scope over and confirmed that one of the two was a shooter.

So Marius put a plan together. They were bedded on the side of a small mountian above a steep valley with a perfect view of the valley. The weak link in their defensive position was that the ridge on the other side of the valley was only 200-300 yards away as the crow flies, so if we could sneak up to the crest of the opposite ridge, we should be able to get a shot at the resting Fallow Deer.

Once again, we circled around with the vehicle staying out of the valley they were watching, and drove up to the back side of the ridge opposite to them. We stopped well short of the ridge and hiked up the the crest. We were at a low crouch as we got close to the ridge and crawled to the edge to have a look.

When we got to crest of the ridge, there was a large outcropping of boulders about 10 yards below us, and between us and the bedded Fallow Deer. So we slithered down the side of the ridge and got behind large boulder, at which point Marius moved around to various spots where there were gaps in the boulders so he could examine the hillside opposite and locate the deer. He located them. Happily they were calmly bedded on hillside so the deer were going along with the plan for a change. The challenge was finding a location on the rock outcropping where there was a gap in the boulders facing at the spot the deer were bedded down that also would allow me to get in a steady shooting position.

Marius finally located a spot where I could kneel on my knees and brace my elbows on the boulders on either side of the gap we would should through, which was facing straight at the Fallow deer. We placed a jacket on the boulder that would be my rest and I got into shooting position on my knees and braced against the boulders on either side of me.

Marius told me the closest deer was the shooter. I have this (weird??) thing, especially when hunting with a guide, where I never look at the horns/antlers. I just focus on the shoulder of the animal to be shot, not wanting to be distracted looking at the horns/antlers. I just trust my guide and knew Marius where never let me shoot at something that wasn't worth shooting.

The target deer was laying on the hillside, facing left toward the valley but quartering toward me at a pretty sharp angle. Not head on, but definately not boadside. The range was 238 yards so the rifle was set for 240 on the scope turrent.

The wind was HOWLING up the canyon at that point from left to right, so a quick discussion with Marius had us select the aim point to be the base of his neck, assuming the wind would drift the bullet back onto his shoulder/lung area.

I was ROCK SOLID on the base of his neck where it joined his body...two breaths, let 3/4 out, hold and slowly squeeze. Boom...the rifle was right on when the shot went off. The Fallow Deer gave no indication of a hit, jumped to his feet and turned to his right and took a couple steps, directly broadside to us, then stopped.

Marius called out "Miss" and to be honest I was kind of surprised at that because the shot felt good.
The deer both stood there. Between the echo of the canyon, the fact that we shot between some large boulders between us and them, and the suppressor on the .300 Win, we later concluded that the deer did not know where the shot came from and were trying to figure out where the danger was.

I quickly racked another shell into the chamber and got on the shooter. Marius confirmed which one was the target...the one on the right, standing broadside 245 yards aways. Marius hissed "hold dead center", since the deer was facing right and the wind was coming from left to right. Quickly I put it center mass on his body and fired again. Boom...the deer dropped in his tracks!!! We figured I got the shoulder/lungs and stoned him.

I racked another shell in case he got up but after a couple minutes there was no movement so the "High Fives" were given once again.

We went back to the truck and came around the ridge to the valley. We picked up Llyod the tracker whom we left in the valley as a spotter, and drove up the valley to the spot below where the deer lay.

We went up to the deer to check out my 10th trophy taken with Marius over two trips.

Much to my surprise the bullet had drifted from the center of his body, PAST his shoulder and into the neck where I had spined him. I was very close to not holding far enough back. The drift was over 14 inches left to right. I would have needed to be holding pretty much on the meat of his rear leg to hit his front shoulder.

3F3FF0CC-6B41-45A6-8B0A-7EE2620561BB.jpeg

The yellow dot is actually a little forward of where I held, but it gives you an idea. I held just back onto his body from the yellow dot and you can see where the bullet hit.. We had underestimated the wind but the hunting gods were with us and I still dropped him with a neck shot...a shot I would never intentionally try for, but which can be effective as this Fallow Deer proves.

He was a battle scared veteran. Points broken off, and for the 3rd out of three animals, his teeth were worn down to the gums. Once again, he wouldn't go high in the record books but he was the equivelent of shooting a 7 1/2 year old whitetail buck. A deer past his prime and a great one to take out of the herd. Another perfect trophy for me.

0B8EB4E7-3169-4693-8599-204B96202AB3.jpeg

BC54CD5D-ED20-4319-8521-14AED5B2953F.jpeg

Marius and Lloyd rolled the deer onto a tarp and used the tarp to drag him down the slope to the valley floor, where we set him up for the photo shots.

When you look at the pic of me with the Fallow deer, he was laying 3/4 way up the slope on the left side of the picture, and we shot him off the top of ridge on the right side of the picture.

CFF9D2E8-C945-4FFE-94A2-83F94A5ED083.jpeg

As usual, the expert guidance of Marius led me to another fine trophy. I have hunted with guides in in the Western US alot and in Namibia and now twice with Marius. I can honestly say that Marius is probably the best hunter I have ever seen. He can even make old hunters with broken bodies like me successful.

After doing a re-count, that Fallow Deer was the 11th Trophy I have taken with KMG.

Blesbok, Bushbuck, Nyala, Moutain Reedbuck, Blue WB, Jackel, Impala, Bontebok, Cape Buffalo, Black WB and Fallow Deer.

And should have a Warthog too....

All I can say is that Marius knows how to get it done.

Congratulations on an Awesome Bull ! My son and I fly out Sept.13th for SA for my Buffalo hunt.

Congratulations on an Awesome Bull ! My son and I fly out Sept.13th for SA for my Buffalo hunt.
Thanks!

Good luck to you both! Travel and hunt safe!

Reactions: OLB
So to wrap it up...we spent the last few days looking for a shooter Warthog and looking for a bruiser Impala. We never found another shooter warthog. Still to this day kicking myself for blowing the chance at the big boy on Day 2 :(

I passed on multiple Impala that most would have taken, but I already had two pretty good ones and was really being picky.

So even though I "only" ended up killing 3 animals, I had a tremendous time. I got my dream Cape Buffalo and fullfilled the destiny that my .375 H&H Classic Express had waited 20 years in the safe for, added to new antelope to my collection and had a chance at a GREAT warthog. I could have killed something every time we left the lodge had I wanted to. But with two prior plains game hunts before this I was mainly focused on the Cape Buffalo and some specific PG targets.

I loved being back in the bush with Marius, Toni loved her getaway from work and photography opportunities and we both loved our hosts Andrew and Debbie. We can't wait to go back in 2024.

Next time...thicker knee pads, don't hurt myself working on my property the week before we leave for Africa and more stair machine....much more stair machine.

I have a group of friends and family that includes 5 hunters going back to KMG in 2024. I will be looking for a Sable, Black Impala and of course, for the 4th trip try for a Warthog. My 34 year old son will be hunting with me and will load up with 5-6 animls.

2024 can't get here soon enough!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynSoli

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross