Some CZ questions

about 18months ago I was in a similar position. I ended up purchasing the Model 70 and not once have i regretted my decision. I originally had put a deposit down on the CZ 550 but leaving the shop i didn't get that new gun excited feeling..... So I swapped it for a model 70! The rifle is brilliant for fit and Finnish and with my hand loads it will shoot 3/4 MOA. 3 Speer 270g soft points at 100m. Shooting it in a field position and recoil is hardly felt... Off the bench its not much fun but it was never intended to be a bench gun!
IMG_2856_zpsdyoh4mqx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like CZ's also as I have several different calibres. My 375H&H is an old BRNO ZKK 602. Heavy but excellent rifle. Action was rough when I got it. I would sit in front of the TV racking the bolt back and forth for a week to "smooth out" the action. Used to drive my mum nuts. The only thing that bothers me about the CZ (and I've said this before) is that I find the bluing could be better. It seems to get a thin film of rust far quicker than other makes of rifles I have. One CZ/BRNO current advantage is that you will only need Ringmounts.
A couple of years ago I purchased a Win M70 Alaskan CRF in 338WM which is a beautiful rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the 375H&H version. Everything is personal preference of course. As I always suggest to go and "shoulder" a few choices and see what fits you. I always prefer to have that big 'Ol Mauser Claw ejector myself. Some prefer other styles.
CZ customer service has yet to impress me. I have had several dealings with both CZ USA, and CZ Czechoslovakia. Basically left me with a bad taste in my mouth. So far have had a couple of positive interactions with Winchester mostly figuring out when I was going to receive my rifle. I had ordered it as they were in the middle of moving rifle production to Portugal.

Last edited:
Congrats on your Model 70! If you live in the U.S. and want to buy a CZ 550 in 375 H&H and up I recommend you buy yours from the CZ Custom Shop. You can buy a "basic model" add a barrel band and a few other things for a couple of hundred dollars and you'll get a McGowan barrel, and it will be worked over by the Custom shop and they provide really great service. I really think the CZ's shine in the larger calibers (416 and 450 Rigby, 500 Jeffery). Betweeen the Model 70 and a CZ 550 in 375 H&H I would go for the Model 70.

sorry to repeat myself , I have both the CZ and the Mod 70 .

I personally find the Mod 70 to be very front heavy and unbalanced in 375 , as far as all the other factors : accuracy, action and quality of the rifle , it is a fantastic rifle .

whereas my CZ feels a lot more balanced, my CZ is a 23" barrel however and not the 25" factory length barrel , I also have a Winchester style 3 lever position safety on the rifle .

I have two recoil reducers in my 500 Jeffery, basically to get the balance point to the center of the magazine where I like it. I know lots of folks like their rifles more muzzle heavy. Both great rifles.

I'm always shocked to hear of CZs needing work and not being quite there. Must be the ones sold stateside. I will concede that probably due to large customer base in the States, CZ has done a lot of things to cater to American buyers. With trying to satisfy huge customer base maybe their QA is slipping a bit, I also do not like the newer cheap rear sights ala Remington style, or the plastic bits on some models, or the new safety, or anything that makes production faster but results in less durable product. Anyway...

I have had the Sako 85 Kodiak in 375 H&H. Sure the action was smooth and the metal finish impeccable. But the CRF was anything but, it would not feed flat-nose bullets very well and mainly, the model 85 ejector would kick the empty cases back into the receiver area if you had a scope on. For the $2100+ it cost it was a failure in my book. I modified the feeding ramp to feed all ammo very well and I took the scope off to make it reliable. But then it kicked so much for a .375 that I just traded it in on a CZ.

Never had a Win mod. 70 but the new models have a new trigger that IMO is not nearly as simple and good as the old one.

The CZs always worked for me, reliable, accurate and smooth enough from the box (Zastavas seem rougher), becoming really slick with use. Just like any Mauser-style action rifle. They also come up to the shoulder very well and don't seem to kick as much. In the .375 I too feel they are a bit bulky and heavy for the caliber (Ruger RSM is even worse) and the 25" barrel a bit long. CZ also need medium rings because of the bolt handle. Does not seem to be a problem for me but I know some would like the scope even lower.

So I'd say just get the CZ or the M70 and don't worry about the rest.

Milan I had a feeding problem with my CZ when brand new. CZ had me send it back for repair, and their gunsmith told me just send the bolt I know what is wrong. While I like my CZ, I think the feeding issue is something that should be addressed before leaving their factory. Totally agree on the weight and length issues of the CZ.
All that said, as a lefty I'm more than happy to find a full length magnum Mauser style action with the bolt on the correct side.

I agree with CAustin, my Ruger guide rifle in 375 was excellent right out of the box. Other than the trigger pull a little harder then I prefer it was accurate and easy to shoot.

Milan I had a feeding problem with my CZ when brand new. CZ had me send it back for repair, and their gunsmith told me just send the bolt I know what is wrong. While I like my CZ, I think the feeding issue is something that should be addressed before leaving their factory. Totally agree on the weight and length issues of the CZ.
All that said, as a lefty I'm more than happy to find a full length magnum Mauser style action with the bolt on the correct side.
I don't doubt people have issues. It just makes me wonder when then I hear "get a Winchester or Ruger or Sako" what that solves. I had issues with a Sako yet still consider them quality firearms, buddy had an issue with a Ruger yet I think they are fine as they are just as basic and reliable, another buddy just recently had issue with CZ512 which I think I solved and narrowed down to faulty magazine and ammo, so hardly the gun's fault yet I think he is leery of the CZ name now, etc. I think in the older days of when guns were hand finished at the factory, this would not have happened. That's why pre-64 Winchesters are so great. That's why Brnos of the 1920-1950s are so great I guess. The 60-80s Brnos were not as well finished (darn cheap Commies) yet they still functioned flawlessly and were accurate. CZ550s seem much better finished to me but I see them cheaping out on sights, plastic floowers, plastic magazine box springs and magazine trap door, whole magazines and bottom 'metal'. But all the new firearms to me seem the same and something like the CZ still tops the list as they are easy to get going well if they do not do so already out of the box, which in my experience they do at least as much if not more than others.

Last edited:
My CZ in 375 H&H was fine out of the box. When I got it rebarreled to 500 Jeffery, it took some work. That is not unusual for a 500 Jeff unless your paying close to $10,000. I like the fact that the CZ action is machined from billet. It feels and is incredibly solid. Maybe too much so for a 375 H&H, but just about right for a 450 Rigby or a 500 Jeffrey. My favorite rifle. Second is the Rem BDL in 270 I bought in the late 60s and gave to my son. He got his first elk with it :)

I'm always shocked to hear of CZs needing work and not being quite there. Must be the ones sold stateside. I will concede that probably due to large customer base in the States, CZ has done a lot of things to cater to American buyers. With trying to satisfy huge customer base maybe their QA is slipping a bit, I also do not like the newer cheap rear sights ala Remington style, or the plastic bits on some models, or the new safety, or anything that makes production faster but results in less durable product. Anyway...

I have had the Sako 85 Kodiak in 375 H&H. Sure the action was smooth and the metal finish impeccable. But the CRF was anything but, it would not feed flat-nose bullets very well and mainly, the model 85 ejector would kick the empty cases back into the receiver area if you had a scope on. For the $2100+ it cost it was a failure in my book. I modified the feeding ramp to feed all ammo very well and I took the scope off to make it reliable. But then it kicked so much for a .375 that I just traded it in on a CZ.

Never had a Win mod. 70 but the new models have a new trigger that IMO is not nearly as simple and good as the old one.

The CZs always worked for me, reliable, accurate and smooth enough from the box (Zastavas seem rougher), becoming really slick with use. Just like any Mauser-style action rifle. They also come up to the shoulder very well and don't seem to kick as much. In the .375 I too feel they are a bit bulky and heavy for the caliber (Ruger RSM is even worse) and the 25" barrel a bit long. CZ also need medium rings because of the bolt handle. Does not seem to be a problem for me but I know some would like the scope even lower.

So I'd say just get the CZ or the M70 and don't worry about the rest.

the CZ's just become so much better when worked on out of the box , my mods on all out of the box are :

- shortening the barrel
- polishing the action
- adjusting the trigger pull
- 3 lever safety
- barrel band
- widening the v sights and front fiber optic sight

I have also worked on some of the stocks . All in all they become even better rifles and I certainly enjoy using them .

Aaron if you are up Grande Prairie way pm me I have a 375 in both the CZ and Winchester. I'll gladly let you try them out.

Aaron if you are up Grande Prairie way pm me I have a 375 in both the CZ and Winchester. I'll gladly let you try them out.

I appreciate the offer Spook. I'm actually down in Leduc. I'm thinking of just picking up a CZ, and if I don't like it, I have a feeling it really shouldn't be that hard to dump. Everyone I talk to says they can't keep them on the shelves!

I must say that is a beautiful Impala!

I agree with CAustin, my Ruger guide rifle in 375 was excellent right out of the box. Other than the trigger pull a little harder then I prefer it was accurate and easy to shoot.

Johnny, something I've done on two Ruger Hawkeye rifles was to put a lighter spring in the LC6 trigger. Very cheap and easy to do. No special tools or even skill required (Heck, I did it). It's not a huge change, but it is noticable. Maybe 1 to 1.5 lb lighter pull.

Cost is $7 from: http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i29.html

I agree with above sentiments. Finding that "out of the box" perfect factory rifle is rare but does happen. Rifles usually need some form of work whether it's polishing the action, or working the bolt, etc. Although the Win M70 I have hasn't required anything yet. It is a tad front heavy as mentioned above but for long range hunting where a rest comes in to play it wouldn't bother me. I probably wouldn't take it the bush. I would prefer to use my CZ 550FS in 9.3x62
I do like CZ's but wish some of the old BRNO "traits" were left in the manufacturing process. What irritated me was the lack of caring I guess you could say by CZ towards me. Issues I had were not me being fussy.
There are lots of options out there it's just a case of what you feel comfortable with, and can should effectively.

I agree with above sentiments. Finding that "out of the box" perfect factory rifle is rare but does happen. Rifles usually need some form of work whether it's polishing the action, or working the bolt, etc. Although the Win M70 I have hasn't required anything yet. It is a tad front heavy as mentioned above but for long range hunting where a rest comes in to play it wouldn't bother me. I probably wouldn't take it the bush. I would prefer to use my CZ 550FS in 9.3x62
I do like CZ's but wish some of the old BRNO "traits" were left in the manufacturing process. What irritated me was the lack of caring I guess you could say by CZ towards me. Issues I had were not me being fussy.
There are lots of options out there it's just a case of what you feel comfortable with, and can should effectively.

Interesting you also find your M70 front heavy , this is the only feature that I dislike about the M70 .

Any suggestions how the M70 can be lightened ?

Interesting you also find your M70 front heavy , this is the only feature that I dislike about the M70 .

Any suggestions how the M70 can be lightened ?
Not sure if I would want it lightened to be honest. I think it's because the 25" barrel. Most rifles I have are 24" or less. Forearm seems a little thicker maybe to handle the heavier barrel contour? I don't mind it when shooting calibres that have a bit of "sauce" to them. Keeps the front end down a bit. Extra couple of inches of barrel, stock forearm and front sight would add a bit of weight compared to shooting a 24" barrel with no sights?

We have a LH M70 Stainless/Synthetic Classic in 416 Rem. It was also front heavy (at least for us, it's my older son's rifle). We added a 12 0z mercury recoil reducer to it. That fixed the balance and took a little edge off of the recoil. Another option would be to have it rebarreled with a different contour.

Just put in an order for a American Safari in .375. Should be here early June! Now what to put on for scope.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg