Soft case needed in the truck?

Hammergun

AH senior member
Reaction score
Going for plains game next year in SA. I've got the hard case for the airline but do I need a soft case too? Just thinking about protection from knocks and dust. I'm trying to get by with just a carryon and there's no room in the hard rifle case to bring a soft case. Thoughts please.

The outfitter or PH will most certainly have a soft case you can use.

That about says it all. Ask the Outfitter to have one ready for your prized possession.

Thanks. I will borrow one then.

I have used a gun sock to save weight and space, but borrowing one is the way to go.

Take lots of pictures for the hunt report.

I have found the outfitters more than willing to supply a soft case while on safari. However, I think it wise to ask in advance.

Reactions: cls
I will check in advance to make sure a case is available. And I most certainly will be taking lots of photos for the hunt report. Thanks again guys.

I took one waste of space. Rifle was place in gun rack on truck. Thankfully, I have a Boca Shield http://www.bocashield.com my gun to keep it from being damaged.

I have found the outfitters more than willing to supply a soft case while on safari. However, I think it wise to ask in advance.
+1 on this.

I can't speak for your outfitter, but mine had loaner soft cases for the ride out to the property we were going to hunt for the day. Once on the property the guns went into a gun rack on the back of the truck. Those racks were made from old car tires. There was no possible way for them to be damaged. I just wiped mine off and pulled a bore snake through them at the end of the day to get rid of any dust.

204DB3C1-2A47-484E-A839-59D225F592F1.jpeg
I took one waste of space. Rifle was place in gun rack on truck. Thankfully, I have a Boca Shield http://www.bocashield.com my gun to keep it from being damaged.

I agree I took a sock but my rifle was in the gun rack all the time and several times it would have been hard to get the rifle out of the sock as we were dropped off from the truck as it drove away. Not a lot of time to take it out of the sick.
My first safari the PH/owner had one of these covers for his rifle and since I got a new rifle for my second Safari. I think it protects it so only take it off once and a while to wipe down the stock.

View attachment 210026

I agree I took a sock but my rifle was in the gun rack all the time and several times it would have been hard to get the rifle out of the sock as we were dropped off from the truck as it drove away. Not a lot of time to take it out of the sick.
My first safari the PH/owner had one of these covers for his rifle and since I got a new rifle for my second Safari. I think it protects it so only take it off once and a while to wipe down the stock.

I have also have the barrel cover, no point getting the barrel scratched too. I put mine on before the season or trip and remove afterwards. They can hold moisture so you don't want to keep them on too long. If its raining, I take them off that day to dry.

I have been many times and never used a soft case

+1 on what everyone has said.

Make sure to ask your PH if they can supply one ahead of time. So have a plan. I took one on both my trips.......just folded it in half and tucked it in my checked duffel bag......no real issue.

I always take my own Boyt soft case. I pack it in the bottom of my wheeled duffle in a 'U' shape along the shape of the bag and put socks and underwear in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red Oxx soft case. Inside tuff pak got it covered

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg