Slug hunting Plains Game and Dangerous Game?

I read an article about them and it alleged a clandestine recall if I remember correctly. They pulled them back from distribution, angled to sell the remaining stock to collectors that wouldn’t be likely to encounter the defect. Stopped production.

When I searched today trying to find the details to link here, all I could find is complaints about some guns having a “sticky finish defect” which is definitely not what I remember reading.

With nothing to rely upon or source in an article, the “Vibe” I foggily remember was there was something wrong that could make the guns blow up in incompetent hands. E.g. 3” charge in 2.75” chamber. Whatever it was, my recollection is it was a ”lawyers liability concern” rather than a practical matter. I also believe that this topic came up regarding the Browning when I was chatting about custom “bore rifle” cartridges with the fellow that owns Tarhunt. We were talking about higher pressure shells in brass cases for improved accuracy and 90 mins into the conversation he made a passing comment about the a-bolt that went in one ear and out the other as I have built all my custom slug rifles on Savage 220f actions.

I’ll keep searching for something to reference. Whatever it was, use the weapon as intended and nothing is going to go wrong.
Don't have much use for it here in Texas, though should I be hijacked to Maryland, it is going with me.

I have a local African friend who used to prefer a 12 gauge Miroku O/U shotgun ( loaded with an Industrial SA brand slug in the upper barrel and and an Industrial SA brand LG shell in the lower barrel ) for hunting bush pigs over dogs in dense cover. But beyond that, I doubt a 12 gauge slug has a lot of uses in Africa for conventional plains game or dangerous game hunting.

In Africa, shotguns are mostly used for:
a) Wing shooting
b) Hunting the tiny ten at close ranges with AAA or number 4 buckshot
c) Following up wounded leopards with LG / OOO buckshot ( preferably copper plated ) or slugs

Now, Paradox guns are a completely different story. But even in the old days, they were mainly brought on Safaris as secondary firearms to the hunter’s rifle(s).

Last edited:
I would leave Dangerous Game to the safe use of a "dangerous game rifle". However, Brenneke 3" Magnum Crush rounds do deliver a .73 caliber 666 grain hardended slug at 1600 FPS and 3804 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle as I understand if you only had a 12 gauge shotgun in a pinch. To do so deliberatly is foolhardy in my humble opinion.

Back a few years ago a certain company that no longer makes 12 gauge slugs made a hardened slug that rivaled the evergy output of a .458 Win. Mag. if not .458 Lott it in their 3 1/2" loading. But alas they are no more. Few could handle the recoil dare I say in a 12 gauge shotgun.

Those who could where better men than I, I am humble enough to admit!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois