Single Shot 500 Nitro Express

The stock started kicking wood chips then cracked. Metal is fine

Hi Thriller,

The 577 NE is a very low pressure round. Some powders like Viht. N550 have a gradual, less sharp, pressure curve, easier on the gun.

If a H&R action pops open with a magnum shotgun load or a heavy big bore load, no worries, here is the fix.
Clean all the oil off and around both surface of the locking latches and rough up the latch sutfaces with 180-220 grit sand paper wraps around a file. 2-3 strokes are good enough. Alway keep the latches dry/ no oil.

If we are talking "perceived recoil" for the shooter, is not as bad as most would think.
- 11 lbs to 14 lbs is common weight for a 577 NE double rifle.
- My H&R weight 12 lbs, plus 1 lb. if I fill the loops on the stock with 5 round of 700 grainers.
- Balance of weight is a couple of inches more forward than most rifles. (less muzzle rise.)
- I built a very straight stock with very little drop. Recoil comes straight back.
- I have learnt how relax and roll back with recoil. "School of hard knocks." chuckle.
- I also build moderate loads, that still kill cape buff on the spot most of the time. (700 gr solid bullet at 1800 fps is serious cape buffalo medicine.)

One time I fired 28 hunting loads off the bench in a couple of hours. That was bad.
Some say the recoil energy of a 577 NE is 3X that of a .375NN. I have read that but don't believe it.
One time I made a mercy shot at 6 yds. on a buffalo laying on the round. I was pretty wound up and the recoil felt like a 30-06. No kidding! Recoil is very subjective.

I remember when I used to box. Heading to the gym I would dread getting into the ring to have some teen ager pound the hell out of me. But as usual after on or two punches we were grinnin' and swingin' and having a good time. Same as heavy recoil. It's mostly in the head. Pun intended.

I have a Merkel 140 AE chambered in .500 Nitro Express. Full house loads produce around 90 ft./lbs. of recoil, which is stout indeed and that is in a firearm which weighs around 12 lbs.
I would think that recoil in a 7.5 lb. single shot would be horrendous.
If you enjoy shooting rifles that kick the snot out of you and detach retinas, then go for it.

Quaticman, Does your Merkel 140 weigh around 12 lbs? I may be wrong but I always thought the weigh 10.6 lbs.
Anyway thanks for the sage advice, I will make a note. Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg