Simple Camp Set-Up

This is our set-up. Quick and easy with everything we need. Also has the ability to tow our boat....
IMG_4711.JPG
IMG_4690.JPG
IMG_4692.JPG

This was fly fishing camp in Colorado last summer. The X3 stays loaded with everything except food and water. If it is just me traveling it can be on the road very quickly.:LOL:

1686049585029.jpeg

I happily slept in the back of an open pickup for the best part of a year, following lions. Headed back to the house by day or if it rained. Good comfortable mattress and warm sleeping are key. Sleeping in the car seat is misery for me. I camp a fair bit with the family and then ee use a couple of dome tents + a trailer load of kit. But simple camping, i like a table and chair,pots and a kettle and a gas stove. I have a gas freezer for longer trips (10 days in hwange) and various coolers for short trips. My kit depends on who i am with and where i am going. Anyone can be uncomfortable in the bush. I like a few home comforts.

This is my camp in Montana. Portable, secure, simple.

MontanaTent.jpg

I have looked at these rooftop camper setups and they look like a nice setup, my biggest concern is falling out when getting up in the morning to take a leak
My biggest concern would be having to break camp every time I drove the vehicle.

For an over nighter or two, just pack with sleeping bag, water, muesli bars & chocolate, maybe a freeze dried meal, bivy bag if it’s raining !

I’m out bush in the NT right now, I don’t think you need any sleeping bags at the moment ?

Got the hunter a nice big Buff Bull yesterday, saw a lot of pigs, with some huge Dingos running all over.

Your camp requires a description of the dog and the shotgun as well.
Of course. The dog is an English setter and very good at finding Huns. He points them and I try to shoot them with my shotgun... in this case a 1915 graded A.A. Fox 16 gauge SxS.

Here is a photo of the result...

GSJ-Huns.jpg

Last edited:
My biggest concern would be having to break camp every time I drove the vehicle.
That used to be my greatest gripe but with the quad once we are parked and setup the car doesn't move. Perfect if there are just one or two persons max, any more and you will need something else.

For the extra few minutes to set up a gazebo, pull out a stretcher and lay down a swag it's just personal preference; then again, we don't have bears or other nasties to deal with although the snakes can get friendly (not really).

Would be an awesome touring / overlanding option where you are driving to different places every day.

It takes less than 2 minutes to set up camp, about 7 to 10 minutes to stow everything and be ready to move.

I have looked at these rooftop camper setups and they look like a nice setup, my biggest concern is falling out when getting up in the morning to take a leak
This also applies if you have celebrated with one too many George Dickel sandwiches to evening before!

I have camped in my rig many times in many places from Canada to Mexico's Sierra Madre Occidental. It is quite comfortable in any weather and is easy to set up and tuck away.

Thanks
Wow that is a nice set up Mark .
Thanks Sarg. Best compromise we could find to camp quickly and still tow the boat(y)

Of course. The dog is an English setter and very good at finding Huns. He points them and I try to shoot them with my shotgun... in this case a 1915 graded A.A. Fox 16 gauge SxS.

Here is a photo of the result...

View attachment 538170
Your camping rig, dog, shotgun, and hunting location are simply marvelous. Thank you for sharing!

Your camping rig, dog, shotgun, and hunting location are simply marvelous. Thank you for sharing!
Just trying to hold up my end :cool: Thanks for the thought!

I’m way too old to sleep on the ground, so I have a camp cot for my tent. But for a day or two I don’t worry about hot meals, I just pack some canned food etc.

IMG_0013.jpeg

I’m way too old to sleep on the ground, so I have a camp cot for my tent. But for a day or two I don’t worry about hot meals, I just pack some canned food etc.

View attachment 538391
Reminds me of when I was left on some remote saddle or spur to hold off while the hounds were being started on the deer in the high country. I always had a tin of corned beef, small bottle of sauce and half a loaf of bread in my backpack which would get me through the day.

The other guys would look at me in disgust while enjoying this delicacy, but I have corned beef and sauce sandwiches at home even if we have quality ham and other delicacies in the fridge. The wife refuses to buy it, but I always have a few tins stashed away :cool:

Corned Beef Yum.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois