Similar caliber import issues

jimbo1972

AH enthusiast
Joined
Jan 14, 2024
Messages
280
Reaction score
638
Location
Rockmart GA USA
Media
12
Hunting reports
Africa
1
USA/Canada
1
I am going to South Africa for the first time in July. Originally I was taking a Tikka 300 Win Mag and A Ruger No 1 in 338 Win Mag. In working up loads I decided the Ruger No 1 was ok accuracy but I have another rifle Savage 110 Ultra light in 300 WSM that is a tack driver like the Tikka so I would take it. Sent the updated 4457 forms to my travel agent who sent it to Africa Sky who will be handling the firearms paperwork and they informed me the South African Police says they are too similar calibers and it violates the you can only have one gun of a caliber rule. My travel agent double checked this with another company they use for handling firearms and got the same answer. I know it makes no sense but I refer to the advice many have given on here and other places it’s Africa and they have their own rules. Just posting as a FYI in case anyone else may have a similar situation. Will get the No 1 tuned up as well as possible and it will be fine.
 
Great question but sounds like you have the answer.

Different twist on that question. Husband and wife traveling together. Want to take a drilling in 7x65r and a bolt 7x57. Is that ok as long one each on seperate permits?

How about each taking a 22 Hornet? Again on their own permits.
 
Great question but sounds like you have the answer.

Different twist on that question. Husband and wife traveling together. Want to take a drilling in 7x65r and a bolt 7x57. Is that ok as long one each on seperate permits?

How about each taking a 22 Hornet? Again on their own permits.
I think you are ok since you have two people but I would ask others who have more experience.
 
Great question but sounds like you have the answer.

Different twist on that question. Husband and wife traveling together. Want to take a drilling in 7x65r and a bolt 7x57. Is that ok as long one each on seperate permits?

How about each taking a 22 Hornet? Again on their own permits.

Two separate people with two separate permits, I'd say that you are good to go.

But how about a single person trying to hunt with a 300 HH, 300 Weatherby, and a 300 Win Mag all on a single permit?

All different cartridges but all the same caliber.
 
Two separate people with two separate permits, I'd say that you are good to go.

But how about a single person trying to hunt with a 300 HH, 300 Weatherby, and a 300 Win Mag all on a single permit?

All different cartridges but all the same caliber.
I would say you would have the same issue. Although the same could be said for 308 and 30-06 as they are all 30 cal.
 
Two separate people with two separate permits, I'd say that you are good to go.

But how about a single person trying to hunt with a 300 HH, 300 Weatherby, and a 300 Win Mag all on a single permit?

All different cartridges but all the same caliber.

Why?....
 

Just to check out performance of the three different cartridges on African game animals.

But I don't need to worry because I don't actually poses any of the ones that I mentioned.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,371
Members
169,548
Latest member
LucioPrend
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top