Shorter barrel for 404 jeffery

Not sure I get the whole super low rings thing. Isn’t it more important to have a natural stance, hold, and cheek weld then get the rings that fit your site picture?

Not sure I get the whole super low rings thing. Isn’t it more important to have a natural stance, hold, and cheek weld then get the rings that fit your site picture?
Natural is indeed the key word. For a shooting-game-on-the-run gun, the shooter should be able to close his eyes, mount the gun, open them, and have a perfect sight picture in the scope. Adjust the rings, bases, and scope relief as needed. Start with medium height rings and work from there. The stock design and base choice will dictate if you need lower rings.

Once the OP gets rid of that cheekpiece booger, the scope setup will be way too high. To find crosshairs he will be way off the gun. If he keeps the setup as is and removes the can, that gun will punch him silly. The drop is horrible for stiff recoil which is probably why the former owner put a can on it. The proper fix to start with would have been get rid of military flag safety and mount a normal scope, rings, and bases. Would have been a lot cheaper than this setup and deforming the stock.

Natural is indeed the key word. For a shooting-game-on-the-run gun, the shooter should be able to close his eyes, mount the gun, open them, and have a perfect sight picture in the scope. Adjust the rings, bases, and scope relief as needed. Start with medium height rings and work from there. The stock design and base choice will dictate if you need lower rings.
So that’s the way I look at it too. You said low rings about 5 times. Medium is what fits me on most rifles, and tall on a few. Haven’t found one that low rings would work on.

So that’s the way I look at it too. You said low rings about 5 times. Medium is what fits me on most rifles, and tall on a few. Haven’t found one that low rings would work on.
I suspect the OP will need low profile rings once he's removed the cheekpiece booger. Then the stock comb will be straight and low. Also, keep in mind that actual ring height varies wildly between different manufacturers. The "low" Warne QD rings on my 404 are just a fraction of an inch lower than "medium" Weaver rings. I knew low Warne rings were what I needed because I had already set up my Springfield 30-06 for quick detach with the same rings and rail. That gun acquired instantly even before I made the change to QD rings. The new rail was exactly the same perfect height as former 2-piece Weaver bases and new QD rings were almost the same height as former perfect acquisition Weaver standard rings. Of course, the stocks on both guns are not exact duplicates (but close ... both have Monte Carlo cheek rise and same LOP). I prefer the scope on 404 to be just a bit lower for quick acquisition but it's okay. Looking to pick up a new tactical scope but having trouble finding one with 1" tube. I'm afraid 30mm tube will raise the field of view too high.

Id go 20 inches, the 404 isn't know for high velocity killing so FPS is not critical..My all time favorite DG rifle was a Army Navy double with the barrels cut to 20 inches..I got it in a trade cheap, put it on the market shot it and took it off the market as it shot great..rare and unusual but a gem of a gun..

I suggest you take the brake off and fire a few shots at every opportunity and build a recoil tolerance, its so much nicer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babamumba

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you