Short Barreled Double Rifles

Those are closer to; but not quite Howdah pistols. Howdahs fired solids not shot and used a cartridge powerful enough to STOP a tiger at arms length.
So not a Howdah. I doubt even a double load of 00Buck would stop a tiger before he could take a chunk of flesh.

Since I have a modern “Auto-Burglar” in 20ga, built off a Stevens 311 with 9” dbl tubes, I can you it will absolutely fire 20ga slugs (“solids”) just as well as buckshot.

So yes, it’s the modern equivalent of a Howdah.

Most O/U doubles in 9.3x74R are 22" that is the shortest I would want to go..

Most O/U doubles in 9.3x74R are 22" that is the shortest I would want to go..
just out of curiosity, why? Is that because of ballistics or balance or tradition?

In this case the supposition is the gun Buckstix has was meant as a rifle for very close shots in the close and turbulent conditions of a howdah chair on an elephant with a tiger climbing up its side. I’m not so sure a short rifle is baaaad idea.

It’s all about picking the right equipment for the job

All three points and nobody hunts tigers off elephants anymore let alone shoot a charging one off of an elephant......so I would rather have a 22" 9 3x74R O/U Blaser rifle and have a very useful rifle rather than a thing I cannot use...

A double rifle and a double pistol is not the same thing.

I am aware of a Howdah rifle in 577 Snider, which is alleged to have 18” barrels and a short stock for use in the basket.

I have handled a double pistol in the same calibre, whilst heavy in the hand, I imagine using it would be quite…..sporty. Mind you the circumstances behind it’s creation do suggest that recoil may not be a major factor.

I am reminded of the line, which if I recall correctly reads; “Few things focus the mind like a tiger on your elephant” (more or less).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilbert89L

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross