Shoes to Get?

DAK0621

Reaction score
What kind of shoes for women are good for hunts in South Africa in July/Aug? Thanks

Mine are Crispy brand and I wore them every day for a month in Tanzania in October. I absolutely LOVE them! I also wear them on a regular basis at home. I also have a pair of Ladies Courteney ostrich shoes but have not wore them hunting. I did wear them to DSC and put some miles on them. For me personally, I would rather hunt in my Crispys. When I was in SA and Zim I did not have them. This hunting trip was the first I had no issues with my feet.

Kennetrek Womens Desert Hikers or Safari uninsulated (but ONLY in July/Aug.) IF you use 'em outside of those months, they'll shoot sparks and scare animals! You've been warned....They are the most comfortable boot out there, IF your safari involves a LOT of walking. IF sitting on the back of a truck and occasionally walking 100 yds to collect prizes, she can go barefoot and you can buy another 5 tankfulls of Biden fuel at home! Enjoy!! Even a good crossfit running-type shoe is fine. Many retail brands of hiking boots will mess up your feet on a real safari (too stiff, rubs your skin off, etc. etc.) Pay the insurance and you'll not be sorry.

Kennetrek Womens Desert Hikers or Safari uninsulated (but ONLY in July/Aug.) IF you use 'em outside of those months, they'll shoot sparks and scare animals! You've been warned....They are the most comfortable boot out there, IF your safari involves a LOT of walking. IF sitting on the back of a truck and occasionally walking 100 yds to collect prizes, she can go barefoot and you can buy another 5 tankfulls of Biden fuel at home! Enjoy!! Even a good crossfit running-type shoe is fine. Many retail brands of hiking boots will mess up your feet on a real safari (too stiff, rubs your skin off, etc. etc.) Pay the insurance and you'll not be sorry.
This x1000%. If Kenetreks fit you there is not a better boot IMO. I ha e three different pairs after discovering them a number of years ago. I won't wear anything else now.

i was so tempted to pick up pr 3 at eurooptic just yesterday otw home from a long drive, but i was just there to replace 10x42s given to my son that's moving to AK (i was eyeing up the Zeiss, but went for the Blaser Primus. And, that's the extent of my Blaser collection for those of you that read my opinions about 'em. :p

*Son says the soles of the Desert/Safari aren't so good on slippery/rocky mtn terrain, but thankfully K has a more extensive line of Mtn boots w/ different soles!

One that fit perfectly zero compromise...My wife and hunting partner joined our union with size 8 R...She had blisters on her sisters for the first couple of years of our marriage...One day at the shoe store I screwed up all my courage and said "hey Kitten can I use this thing and measure your foot" while we wait??? Bam 7 1/2 wide is her real size...Moral of the story No more blisters Happy Feet Happy Wife Happy life!

Russel Moccasins also makes custom hunting boots for women.

I wore a pair of Merell boots from basspro. Think we’re $130 and I tossed in some insoles for long walks. Wore them on weekend for couple months and love em. We’re great in the mountains in eastern cape

What kind of shoes for women are good for hunts in South Africa in July/Aug? Thanks
Hey welcome to AH! Introduce yourself please. Tell us more about yourself and your planned hunt:)

To further add to what my lovely and wonderful wife @Just Gina said.... When we first got together, in spite of having over 200 pairs of shoes,, she had crap for hunting boots/shoes. She had a pair of high top Under Armor tennis shoes that tried but failed and she had terrible memories of sore feet in Africa. And this lady can walk if she feels good!

We went to Scheels and found a most helpful salesman who brought out every good boot he had including Kenetrecks. Gina tried them all and with different insoles. For her the Crispi's were by far the best, but with different insoles.

Everyone is different. If you can get to a Scheels we highly recommend them as they are well trained and typically have a few good options to try on. Walk around in them plenty.

I wore a pair of Merell boots from basspro. Think we’re $130 and I tossed in some insoles for long walks. Wore them on weekend for couple months and love em. We’re great in the mountains in eastern cape
You must have young, tough feet to do that in Merell's ;)

Good luck! If she is experienced in outdoors then no issue as she will already have decent hiking boots or have some idea about them. If she has little outdoor or hiking experience might require two pair. One she picks out as "just right" for her- might be based on style, fashion, hearsay or trend. Then the hardest part is finding the other pair... the ones that will really work out. Africa tends to be hot and dry when most people go- July to Sept. Can be rocky and sandy but likely won't be wet mountains or tundra :). Usually lots of thorns, unbelievably frustrating grass seeds and stickers. Again, good luck and strongly suggest gaiters in addition to boots/shoes. Style or fashion or mountain climbing trendy boots based on hard plastic foot bed/ ankle bed for support... uhh not so pretty after a couple of days of walking- usually sore feet and blisters.

Leather that basically fits well along with good inserts. Then have her break them in by walking A Lot! Easier said than done I know, but hey... my opinion for what it's worth :)

Giday DAK0621. Welcome to the A H forums.

Courtneys

Go wit the most flexible sole you can find ...Most "Hiking" boots the soles are too stiff which means too noisy

DAK0621, welcome to the AH forum! Lots have good info has already been given. What ever you chose make certain you break them in well. You could be walking for hours.
I have enjoyed my Courtneys in the flatter terrain, but wished I had something with more support when it got steep and rocky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottlinks

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt