Shipping time line

Bigry

AH veteran
Joined
Mar 24, 2016
Messages
139
Reaction score
214
Location
OR
Media
9
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
Ducks unlimited
Hunted
U.S.A. South Africa Spain
I got a message the other day saying that my taxidermy is ready to crate. What is the approximate time line from crating to delivery from johannesburg to the US. The crating company is scheduled for Nov 2.
 
Assuming there is CITIES permit needed it should not take more than a week for a shipping company to get your crate on a plane. In route transit on Ethiopian Airlines for me recently took 4 days, from Windhoek. Getting US Customs to clear it has taken 2 days -8 days. 8 days was the most recent but it included a leopard which may or may not accounted for the longer delay. Hope that helps.
 
Yes I used a different company this go round so they didn't apply for permits until I paid and that can take 7-20 days I was told. Shipping company cannot give a true estimate until they have crate in their possession due to measurements and weight is how freight is calculated. And getting shipping company to retrieve crate depending on where it is in relation to JNB could take couple of weeks.
 
This spurs a question within me. How much less money and more time is it to go with Sea rather than Air? Half the money, triple the time?
 
Another similar question. How long is it taking for dip and packing nowadays?
 
My June hunt finished dip and pack in three months roughly and is sitting with the shipper now waiting for Turkish Airlines to pick it up. The shipment has been rescheduled 3 times so far by Turkish due to heavy volume. The shipper said that this is pretty normal this time of year due to volume. Now scheduled to leave JNB tomorrow and arrive Seattle on Thursday, we’ll see if it makes it out this week. Fortunately Coppersmith does a good job in my experience staying on top of it, they update me every time the shipping date pushes and stay on top of the shipper in SA for updates.
 
Hmm.... Ok. Thanks. I hunted the first week of May and am still waiting for the dip and pack. I think I will contact them.
 
Not sure for US but my D&P crate, (with a big 5 and 5 CITES) that was booked to ship 14 Oct, Joberg to Vancouver thru Istanbul on Turkish Air, left this morning 5 PM their time on first leg. Turkish air bumped 4 or 5 times due to "various" reasons. Fine print on contract allows basically ship when they want. Fingers crossed its in Van Thursday as stated. I am thinking mine and @MontanaPat stuff may be on same plane.

Between D&P, tanning my croc, requested delay by me for 6 weeks due to "more hunting", permits, delay of permits, more delay of permits and now Turkish its been a humbling long experience. Hunt ended Sept 2021.

MB
 
I hunted early May, have had my crate for 3 weeks or so. Impalas had to dry 90 days I think since the horns don’t come off. What you shoot can delay shipping.
 
Crate went to African Trophy Exports yesterday. Its getting closer
IMG-20231102-WA0000.jpg
 
One consideration is how close it is to the Christmas and New Years holidays. Many of the workers will be on extended vacation during this time period. This affects crating, permitting, and shipping. In my case, the trophies were ready during the first week of November, but due to the holiday schedules they did not actually leave the dip & pack facility until March, and then shipped (air transport) in April.

The ongoing (at that time) COVID situation undoubtedly affected the timelines; hopefully yours will be shorter.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,341
Messages
1,573,341
Members
169,739
Latest member
TrishaSpen
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top