Shipping and taxidermy

Jaden1489

Reaction score
just lookin for a general idea on what it would cost for these 4 animals shoulder mounted shipped to the US. I Know it’s all different where it’s going just looking for and idea. TIA
Impala, Blesbuck, Springbuck, Wildebeest

just lookin for a general idea on what it would cost for these 4 animals shoulder mounted shipped to the US. I Know it’s all different where it’s going just looking for and idea. TIA
Get it done in the USA. Too much volume and shipping out of sight now.

If only we had previous discussions about this subject, than life would be so much easier....

Pro-tip, use the search option on the forum-board.

That said, welcome aboard ;)

If only we had previous discussions about this subject, than life would be so much easier....

Pro-tip, use the search option on the forum-board.

That said, welcome aboard ;)
I get what your saying and did read all them just looking for a more recent answer as things always change

The big question that I asked when I went over for my first trip is "what would I do if there was a problem with what I had done in Africa?"

Then I visited the taxidermist that I used and talked to him. He took me into the back room and showed me a spring buck that he was getting ready to redo. The client had it done in Africa and that spring buck had a unmistakable smile on it's face, totally unnatural. To ship it back would of cost a lot more than just having the local guy take care of it.

As for prices, 6 years ago I brought back a kudu, spring buck, black wildebeest, gemsbok, impala, and a euro of a blesbuck, along with a fly swatter made out of the wildebeest tail, and the inner core of the kudu's horns that were polished. My importer handled all the payments for everything, dip and pack, shipping, and storage, along with their fee to my taxidermist door and it was right close to $5,000 US

Spot on to what @JimP said. Get them done here, to many horror stories to take a chance for your once in a life time trophies that you will have to look for the rest of your life. You be the judge, check this out, is this worth $750 worth? Many will say that is in the back, but I'll argue that it is the quality of workmanship and that I know it's there.

IMPALA.jpg

I had mine done in South Africa, but I live in Canada, and taxidermy prices in Canada are considerably higher than in the USA. I really couldn't afford to get them done here at 3x the cost. Now my problem is that shipping costs have skyrocketed! Air freight has increased 50% to 100% in the last year! Absolutely crazy!! You need to remember that they calculate by volumetric weight so anything that takes up any room will be quite expensive. You may even save money by getting it dip and packed and having someone nearby do it for you. Then you don't need to worry about all the "what ifs" of getting them done in Africa either. I may consider using a US taxidermist next time and then make a trip to the states to pick them up.

Ive had 2 hunts taxidermy worth done in RSA, with overall good results. I actually had 2 shoulder mounts with issues that the taxidermist in RSA paid to have sent back, corrected (new capes and remounted) and returned on their dime. I feel lucky to have had a taxidermist who stood behind their work.

Cost wise, yours is looking roughly at $2000-$2500 for the mounts, plus crate fees and paperwork. all its $2500-$3000 to the taxidermist (mine at least). Shipping, roughly $1500-$2000 if picked up at the clearing agent facility, more if inland transport is needed. Again, these are prices I paid for the taxidermist I used.

My guess, to bring those 4 shoulder mounts back, $4000-$5000. This is assuming freight rates continue to normalize and no additional inland transit.

Man @TTundra, you are so lucky to have such reputable taxidermist. The one I used said to send them back (on my dime) and they would fix it, and I had to pay for shipping back to the US. I can't say here what I said to him.

I can tell you it is less money and the quality is excellent if done in SA.
I just got back from SA and am having 2 pedastal shoulder mounts; 2-1/2 mounts; 2 Pedastal floor mounts with 2 animals on each pedastal. Needless to say, that is some detailed work. My cost With crating and shipping will be about 12k.

I can tell you it is less money and the quality is excellent if done in SA.
I just got back from SA and am having 2 pedastal shoulder mounts; 2-1/2 mounts; 2 Pedastal floor mounts with 2 animals on each pedastal. Needless to say, that is some detailed work. My cost With crating and shipping will be about 12k.
Even if you have it done in the US, you will still need to pay for dipping, packing and shipping.
Check out African Wildlife Artistry.

It is still quite tough to say or estimate what shipping costs will be. I have seen some high shipping costs and some low shipping costs lately. In theory, as more hunters are traveling to Africa to hunt right now....shipping prices should drop a bit. Just a ballpark guess on this but for 4 shoulder mounts from South Africa I would guess you'd be looking around $3000-$3500 right now. This could certainly be lower 6 months from now.

Man @TTundra, you are so lucky to have such reputable taxidermist. The one I used said to send them back (on my dime) and they would fix it, and I had to pay for shipping back to the US. I can't say here what I said to him.
I count my blessings as I've seen those horrors stories like you had happen.

I would recommend having it done in USA. Standards are much higher. That being said....use an artist that does African work....if all he does is deer & Ducks, the Africa nuances will be new to them. Also, they should be certified/ in Kahoots with USFG. All the paperwork/cities/etc.

I’ve done it 3 different ways....I’m wiser from all 3.

Plenty of horror stories from USA taxidermist as well.
Do your home work.

Very true, but here in the US you have a resources and you have a fighting chance if something is not right. With Africa, once they have your money, you are done. The taxidermist will wipe his a$$ with any issues, just like what happened to me.

Reactions: BWH
Very true, but here in the US you have a resources and you have a fighting chance if something is not right. With Africa, once they have your money, you are done. The taxidermist will wipe his a$$ with any issues, just like what happened to me.
Ain't that the truth!!! 100%

There's at least one of those here in the USA....Michigan
Like I said....
Do your homework

I would recommend having it done in USA. Standards are much higher. That being said....use an artist that does African work....if all he does is deer & Ducks, the Africa nuances will be new to them. Also, they should be certified/ in Kahoots with USFG. All the paperwork/cities/etc.

I’ve done it 3 different ways....I’m wiser from all 3.
I have heard horror stories and viewed excellent work from both taxidermists in the US and Africa, as well as garbage work from both. I believe doing your research is important and finding a highly recommended professional studio that has many examples of their work is vital.
For my self and my family, I depended on a recommendation from my Outfitter [Nick Bowker Hunting] whom I trust fully. His recommendation was African Wildlife Artistry in the East Cape and after communicating with AWA personally, and viewing their completed work, I am confident I will be more than satisfied with the end product.
At any rate, best of luck on hunts and whomever you choose to do your work, I hope the outcome demonstrates the beauty and respect due the animals.

If you don't have a taxidermy horror story, you don't have much taxidermy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg