Shipping ammo question from a newbie

Lbarr265

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
So I understand this may qualify as a dumb question for some of you, but I am new so don't be too harsh. After searching this forum for some time, I've seen a lot of people recommending common calibers so ammo can be found in country if the ammo luggage is lost. But several airlines allow shipping of ammo and guns in the same case. Why not just pack them together and not worry about losing the ammo? Is there something obvious I'm missing or does anyone have experience where it was a negative to check ammo and firearms in the same bag?

Because once you arrive in South Africa the ammo and firearm must be kept separate. Also when flying in South Africa the ammo can not be in your checked luggage but it's own case. This last statement is a little contradictory in that on my safari in 2015 I had my ammo in my checked bag separate from my rifle but in it's own case and had no problems with it. Then on my flight back from Port Elizabeth I had to remove the ammo from my checked bag and check it with my rifle case until I got to Johannesburg where I replace it into my checked bag for the flight back to the states.

Here in the states the ammo can go into the rifle case with no problems but once you get into a foreign country you have to abide by their rules and regulations.

I just went with the idea that if anything happened to my rifle case or my ammo I would just rent a rifle from my outfitter.

Thanks, I should have realized other countries won't be as lenient on travel.

TSA regulations allow ammo to be in the same case as your firearm. The airlines don't always agree. I don't remember if its Delta or United, or both that won't allow your ammo in the same case as your rifle... It can be in with your other luggage. Thats the rub. When your rifle arrives and the bag with the ammo doesn't. Bruce

I would suggest using a load that is a common loading (or weight, type, etc.) so that if you have to buy ammo in country, you won't be spending tons of time at the range zeroing in...

Actually very few airlines permit both in same container. We always split our ammo between two bags.

In 30 plus years of traveling to hunt I have never been allowed to place ammo in my gun case. Always in baggage ,but as stated South Africa does things a little different.

For domestic flights, you can carry the ammo in your gun case, at least for Delta and United.

There is no such thing as a dumb question, especially when it comes to traveling with gums and ammo.

Delta does allow ammo in the rifle case. However, on my recent flight to Maine the lady issuing my boarding pass took issue that I had jackets, shoes, underwear, etc. packed in the rifle case. She claimed there "ain't s'posed tu be nuthin' but weapons" in there. I told her I'd been adding extra padding to the case for the last 10 years...She wanted to know how we were going to unpack it all so I could show her the rifles were unloaded. I explained I would not be uncasing any rifles in the Atlanta airport as getting shot by an Air Marshal or APD was not on my "to do" list. She relented, gave me the orange card, and handed me my luggage tags! I affixed the tags myself, placed my locks on the case and proceeded to TSA. The whole thing was quite irregular.

Delta does allow ammo in the rifle case. However, on my recent flight to Maine the lady issuing my boarding pass took issue that I had jackets, shoes, underwear, etc. packed in the rifle case. She claimed there "ain't s'posed tu be nuthin' but weapons" in there. I told her I'd been adding extra padding to the case for the last 10 years...She wanted to know how we were going to unpack it all so I could show her the rifles were unloaded. I explained I would not be uncasing any rifles in the Atlanta airport as getting shot by an Air Marshal or APD was not on my "to do" list. She relented, gave me the orange card, and handed me my luggage tags! I affixed the tags myself, placed my locks on the case and proceeded to TSA. The whole thing was quite irregular.

You never know what your going to encounter at the airport somgo early!

When traveling on BA to RSA, your ammo must be a separate case and not placed inside your checked luggage.

While I was in RSA on my flight from JNB to Sishen the ammo had to be in a separate case not placed inside my checked luggage. On my return flight from Sishen to JNB the airline insisted the the ammo be placed inside my check luggage. Go figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeauC1305

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross