Settled on my hunting loads in the 416’s

Cleveland48

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Finished settling on my load for deer season this year. My 416 Taylor Imp will be running 300 gr tsx at 2640 FPS. My 416 rem mag will be using 340 gr woodleigh pp at 2668 FPS. On my 416 rem I switched from Hornady brass to Norma, using the same load the Norma brass picked up 58 FPS. Both guns are shooting very well. I’ve taken deer with the 300 tsx with great results. I’m ready to see the performance on the 340 woodleigh pp now.
IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

using the same load the Norma brass picked up 58 FPS.
That is becoming common I see. I experienced the same with Norma brass that is thoroughly tested in many of my B&M cartridges, which are RUM based. Norma is giving higher velocities across the board, 50-75 fps, and on top of that pressure did not increase and in some cases actually decreased a small amount over other brass. Hornady brass in RUM has proven to give much less velocity, but at lower pressures as well, having to up the charge to become equal.

I am a huge Norma brass fan..........

As for the 340 Woodleigh...... I took a 416 to the field in 2005 and got extreme results with the 340s. I was very pleased with their performance.

Tested before field use....

DSC03047-L.jpg

And From the Field.........

DSC02976-L.jpg
DSC02977-L.jpg
DSC02979-L.jpg
DSC02981-L.jpg
DSC02983-L.jpg
DSC02985-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a 416 RM with a 300gr TSX in it on the pigs nose in my avatar.

The 300gr TSX is a fantastic bullet for the 416 caliber and it's all I use in my rifle. I run it at 2700fps with H4895 power.

-Matt

My Winchester 70 416 loves most any bullet I've ever put in it. It's honestly one of the most accurate rifles I own in any caliber. I used Swift A Frame bullets in it to shoot my first Cape Buffalo. Perfect performance, and only one shot needed on a full frontal heart shot.
But as far as accuracy is concerned, it loves the 400gr Hornady bullets. It will put them into one ragged hole at 100 yards. I suspect they would make a great deer bullet. Lol! That is, if I wanted to lug that heavy thing around.
I bet the little Taylor is well suited with the 300gr or 350gr TSX. Would probably be deadly on a buffalo.

That is becoming common I see. I experienced the same with Norma brass that is thoroughly tested in many of my B&M cartridges, which are RUM based. Norma is giving higher velocities across the board, 50-75 fps, and on top of that pressure did not increase and in some cases actually decreased a small amount over other brass. Hornady brass in RUM has proven to give much less velocity, but at lower pressures as well, having to up the charge to become equal.

I am a huge Norma brass fan..........

As for the 340 Woodleigh...... I took a 416 to the field in 2005 and got extreme results with the 340s. I was very pleased with their performance.

Tested before field use....

View attachment 423607

And From the Field.........

View attachment 423601View attachment 423602View attachment 423603View attachment 423604View attachment 423605View attachment 423606

That is some great looking performance. I can’t wait to try them out on some whitetail this fall.

That's a 416 RM with a 300gr TSX in it on the pigs nose in my avatar.

The 300gr TSX is a fantastic bullet for the 416 caliber and it's all I use in my rifle. I run it at 2700fps with H4895 power.

-Matt

I used the 300 tsx last year for my Ruger #1 416 Remington on two whitetail. That load was 2712 FPS and worked great on those deer.

My Winchester 70 416 loves most any bullet I've ever put in it. It's honestly one of the most accurate rifles I own in any caliber. I used Swift A Frame bullets in it to shoot my first Cape Buffalo. Perfect performance, and only one shot needed on a full frontal heart shot.
But as far as accuracy is concerned, it loves the 400gr Hornady bullets. It will put them into one ragged hole at 100 yards. I suspect they would make a great deer bullet. Lol! That is, if I wanted to lug that heavy thing around.
I bet the little Taylor is well suited with the 300gr or 350gr TSX. Would probably be deadly on a buffalo.

Yes my model 70 has been very accurate for me so far. I seem to have trouble with the 350 TTSX and BLC-2 powder though. Right at 1 1/2” groups is the best I’ve gotten with that combo, but everything else I’ve tried has been great. I had a pretty solid load with the 350 TTSX in the Taylor last year with RL15, but my supply of that powder has dried up. I had great luck last year on deer with the 350 mag tips in the Taylor, but those dried up too. So I moved down to the 300 tsx with imr 4166 and have had great results so far at the range. Looking forward to trying them out on whitetail this year too. The last year or so I’m mainly focused on the 416 rem and Taylor. I have a little ruger African 275 rigby I really need to spend some time with, so I’ll be mainly playing with it for a while. My 9.3x62 could use some love also these days. I’ve put a little over 500 rounds through my 416’s since last year on the bench, so my shoulder could use some rest also .

I used Swift A Frame bullets in it to shoot my first Cape Buffalo.
I bet it was a 400 gr Swift too.... I used a 350 Swift in 416 B&M on buffalo once. Did fine......

DSC02905-L.jpg

My boys used 416 B&M and 350 TSX on several kudu, zebra, wildebeest and oryx with excellent results..... My son Matthew shot a kudu from the rear with one, ended up in the chest cavity. I was not with him, or I would have not recommended such.... Kids.... What ya gonna do?.................

DSC02904-L.jpg

I had CEB do a 225 Raptor in .416 and it has proven to be extremely good on plains game and such.........

DSC08830_zpse79991e1-L.jpg

And probably even better, and more devastating for pigs, deer and even black bear would be a 180 gr CEB Raptor. This bullet was requested by an Australian friend of mine that had a 308 Winchester 416 Wildcat. I loaded and used some of the 180s in Australia for pigs, and it was wicked in that capacity. Do keep in mind Raptors are not Conventional, and do not adhere to Conventional rules of penetration and destruction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet it was a 400 gr Swift too.... I used a 350 Swift in 416 B&M on buffalo once. Did fine......
Yes. It was a 400gr. Shot him dead from the front, and the bullet went through his heart, chest cavity and was found in the very back of his guts. Picture book mushroom as well.

My boys used 416 B&M and 350 TSX on several kudu, zebra, wildebeest and oryx with excellent results
I have a box of the 350 TSX bullets on hand here. I've always thought they would make a great buffalo bullet in the 416. Especially in the 416 Taylor and Rem Mag, since they are a bit limited on powder capacity for those big, long 400gr TSX.

Swift A's are fantastic Conventional Premiums. I have used them in several calibers/cartridges for a lot of critters in the early years, and was never disappointed in performance.
I have a box of the 350 TSX bullets on hand here. I've always thought they would make a great buffalo bullet in the 416. Especially in the 416 Taylor and Rem Mag, since they are a bit limited on powder capacity for those big, long 400gr TSX.
Absolutely concur with that statement 100%. I still have a couple of boxes left over here, and they are great for my own 416 B&Ms as well, they would have about the same case capacity as a Taylor. Not only the case capacity, but most 416 twist rates are much better suited to 350 gr bullets, most are too slow for 400s...... I am thinking Terminal performance of certain solids when thinking twist rates. Most are 1:14 to 1:16......... 1:12 is far superior.

But for DEER Pigs and bear, that really is not much of a concern. I would investigate that wicked CEB Raptor 180 gr for this mission..........You would not be concerned about having to trail one up......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross