Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
I will be hunting in South Africa in April; the deposit has been paid.

I will be bringing my own guns – a rifle for me and another for my daughter.

I’ve read to make sure it’s SA Airlines, for the guns to go all the way through and back.

Using a travel agent I have two ticket possibilities.

1 – Alaska Airlines to Seattle/Emirates Airlines to J’burg (via Dubai)/SAA J’burg to Port Elizabeth, and then retracing that to go home.

2 – Delta (Anchorage/Seattle/JFK)/South Africa Airlines JFK to J’burg to Port Elizabeth, and then retracing that to go home.

Does anyone with experience with these routes, airports and airlines have any suggestions? Do either of those – or both – sound workable?

Living in AK, I’ve flown quite a bit, in the US. I have not yet been out of country. I have no experience with NY airports.

Thanks in advance.

I would definitely avoid flying through NY with firearms. I would go with the Emirates route through Dubai.

Delta ans SAA are bag share partners, so as long as you book all your flights on one ticket, your guns will go all the way through to PE, same coming back. This is a nice option not to have to pick up your rifle in JFK and re-check for sure on the going part! Coming back you will have to recheck your rifle but that is standard no matter your port of entry into the US. Guess its up to you on cost and how the long the total trip is with either ticket option. Emirates isn't a bad option to have!

Your bags and rifle will not be checked through all the way to Port Elizabeth. You will have to go through SAPS's in Joberg and then recheck your rifle for the flight to PE. Also coming back you will have to retrieve your rifle in Joberg and then recheck it for the flight home.

As for NY, I flew through there with my rifle with zero problems. I flew from Salt Lake City to NYC on Delta and they transferred my bag and rifle to SAA for the flight to Joberg. All we did was check with the gate agent for SAA in NYC to make sure that our rifles and bags were on the plane.

If you plan on using a travel agent I suggest that you contact Lori at Travel Express. Her and Jennifer are well versed in traveling with firearms and getting hunters to where they need to go with no problems. https://www.travelexpressagency.com/

Thanks for the responses. Actually, both of these are from Lori, and because of that I'm sure both are rock solid options. I just wondered what people thought or experiences they've had going either route.

No matter how you slice it, it’s just a lot of travel time from Alaska. I have flown both Emirates and Delta, but never SAA.
You will have a better travel experience with Emirates, that is almost guaranteed. I would choose Emirates and plan to spend an overnight at least in Dubai. You can check your bags through to JoBerg and take what you will want in Dubai in a pack and a carry on. Stay in the International hotel which is right in the terminal. Nice hotel and easy access.
A couple FYI’s. You will need a boarding pass to get back through security and to your hotel room. Boarding passes won’t be issued until a maximum of 12 hours before your flight departs, so just keep that in mind depending upon how long you decide to stay in Dubai.
With Emirates, your firearms are almost sure to make it to JoBerg, then it's up to SAA either way. I have resolved to NOT fly Delta if there is another good option available.
Just my two bits :)

Retrieving your firearms at Joberg and rechecking is always required. I do not believe that your baggage can travel through while you stay overnight at a through stop in Dubai. Additionally, your baggage and firearms will sit in Joberg while you are in Dubai, something I would not choose to do. We have originated three flights to SA from JFK with multiple firearms in the last 3 years and returned to JFK without a hint of difficulty or delay. SAA is the easiest carrier but not the most updated or comfortable. Blessings on your hunt and safe return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross