Scope recommendations on a .404J

I came across a good deal, here on AH, with another member selling a Swarovski PH 1.5 x 6 x 42 scope for a good price. When I received the scope, it was in the original box and looked brand new. The scope has the #4 reticle, so it's an ideal scope for my Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade 404 Jeffery. Mounted with Talley quick release mounts.

1707829042324.png

I have a Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x24 Firedot on my 404J. On the 1x setting, it is very easy to shoot with both eyes open. The scope functions like a red dot and target acquisition is extremely fast. The glass is clear and the Firedot makes precise aiming on a dark target in the shadows a non issue. This is my first Firedot scope and I can honestly say I will not be without one on my 404J.

Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 in reticle of choice. Tritium so no battery. Theres a “valve” on the objective to regulate brightness. I’m a big fan.

IMG_5163.jpg

I carried one for 40 or 50 years? with a 3X Leupold or two..The 404 and the 3X fixed suited me then and still does..Not fond of variables, but that's just me. To each his own..I will still buy those 3Xs when I see one if priced right..

I came across a good deal, here on AH, with another member selling a Swarovski PH 1.5 x 6 x 42 scope for a good price. When I received the scope, it was in the original box and looked brand new. The scope has the #4 reticle, so it's an ideal scope for my Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade 404 Jeffery. Mounted with Talley quick release mounts.

View attachment 587036
Who makes the nickel 404 cases?

I just picked up a new Bushnell Elite 1-4x in 30mm tube for my 404J. And it's just now going back to them. Reticle frozen. Simple duplex crosshairs and very clear. But I'm not wild about the oversize turrets. Seems unnecessary that they should be so big. For some reason that seems to be the current fad.
Did it fail from the recoil? I'm curious how those hold up. Bushnell says they can handle magnums but I haven't heard anything about experience on heavier recoil rifles. I have one but just on a .223.

Did it fail from the recoil? I'm curious how those hold up. Bushnell says they can handle magnums but I haven't heard anything about experience on heavier recoil rifles. I have one but just on a .223.
It failed to bore sight right out of the box. Reticle frozen. I'm guessing they will replace it.

It failed to bore sight right out of the box. Reticle frozen. I'm guessing they will replace it.
I see. Yes, sounds like a dud that made it out of the factory. Bushnell's support is excellent and especially with a current model I expect you'll get a replacement.

Mine tracked just fine while zeroing.

I agree that the knobs are bigger than they need to be. I don't think there's anything else in current production that fits the bill of a no bells and whistles, low power hunting scope, with a simple duplex reticle. The VX-Freedom current model has the "pig plex", which is ok but I'd prefer a duplex. Then all the other low power variable Leupolds have the CDS elevation dial. Not something I want for a shorter range scope. Then if you look at other manufacturers, in terms of current production I think they all have busy reticles of some sort. The current Elite 4500 in 1-4x is the closest thing these days to the Nikon Monarch 1-4x (and while those are highly praised, they also had chunky capped knobs).

View attachment 580247
Nikon Monarch African or Monarch 3 on each of my big thumpers, including the 404J. Indestructible. You’ll have to go the used route, but they can be found.
I have the Nikon Monarch African w/German #4 crosshair on my stainless Winchester M70 in 404J

I have the Nikon Monarch African w/German #4 crosshair on my stainless Winchester M70 in 404J
I have a Nikon Monarch African on one as well as a S&B Exos 1-8, Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10, and a Zeiss 1.8-5.5 (from memory). I have a .404 problem. The Exos remains my favorite.

I don’t think anyone answered this. Swift factory loads (are the only ones I’m aware of).
Both the Norma PH and Nosler Safari line used nickel cases in the 404J.

Who makes the nickel 404 cases?
I don’t think anyone answered this. Swift factory loads (are the only ones I’m aware of).

The Norma 'African PH' line are made with nickel-plated cases. However, I think that they exclusively use Woodleigh Weldcores, and the bullets in that picture look very much like A-Frames to me. The headstamp is rather hard to make out, but it does not look like Norma to me.

On topic - I have a Swarovski Habicht 1.5-6x42 on mine. FFP with the 4NK illuminated reticle. It's a 'German #4" but the center point is a "+" which is a bit see-through when the illumination is turned off.

Also have a Kahles Helia 5 1-5x42 with a more standard German #4. It is currently just resting on top of the safe.

Debating with myself which one to use in August. Might bring both. Also have an Aimpoint H2 red dot as an alternative backup... decisions deciscions.... :)

Last edited:
So true! Forgot about Nosler. I even have some. :). Have never seen Norma personally.

I see. Yes, sounds like a dud that made it out of the factory. Bushnell's support is excellent and especially with a current model I expect you'll get a replacement.

Mine tracked just fine while zeroing.

I agree that the knobs are bigger than they need to be. I don't think there's anything else in current production that fits the bill of a no bells and whistles, low power hunting scope, with a simple duplex reticle. The VX-Freedom current model has the "pig plex", which is ok but I'd prefer a duplex. Then all the other low power variable Leupolds have the CDS elevation dial. Not something I want for a shorter range scope. Then if you look at other manufacturers, in terms of current production I think they all have busy reticles of some sort. The current Elite 4500 in 1-4x is the closest thing these days to the Nikon Monarch 1-4x (and while those are highly praised, they also had chunky capped knobs).
Turns out the Bushnell scope I sent back was fine. The instructions provided had an incorrect illustration (photographs mixed up). They admit to needing someone else for their commercial art. Returned and it is working fine.

Turns out the Bushnell scope I sent back was fine. The instructions provided had an incorrect illustration (photographs mixed up). They admit to needing someone else for their commercial art. Returned and it is working fine.
I incidentally did a bit of musical scopes this weekend and am now trying the same scope on my .375 H&H. Works fine so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuddyBrode

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt