Scope Recommendation for First-Time 35 Whelen Project

My opinion only , but I see many hunting rifles at the range that have huge tactical scopes that the owners don’t know how to use. I think that when hunting that field of view is a very important consideration. I have a Leupold VXiii 2.5x8 scope on my Whelen and have never needed more magnification. I usually keep it turned down to 3 or 4 when hunting figuring I’ll have plenty of time to crank up if I need to take a longer shot. The physical size of this scope makes the rifles it is mounted on very handy to use.
 
This Sightron is no different in appearance and weight to many European 30mm low power scopes. The reticle is perfectly fine without being powered. It is not like a red dot or reflex site.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6411.jpeg
    IMG_6411.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
My opinion only , but I see many hunting rifles at the range that have huge tactical scopes that the owners don’t know how to use. I think that when hunting that field of view is a very important consideration. I have a Leupold VXiii 2.5x8 scope on my Whelen and have never needed more magnification. I usually keep it turned down to 3 or 4 when hunting figuring I’ll have plenty of time to crank up if I need to take a longer shot. The physical size of this scope makes the rifles it is mounted on very handy to use.
@DG870
Couldn't agree more
Simple duplex reticle, I carry mine on 3 power and if'n I need to I can crank it up to 10 power.
No bells and whistles to adjust before the shit ,no busy Christmas tree reticles.
Just put rifle to shoulder look thru simple scope, pull trigger and collect game
Simple
Bob
 
@DG870
Couldn't agree more
Simple duplex reticle, I carry mine on 3 power and if'n I need to I can crank it up to 10 power.
No bells and whistles to adjust before the shit ,no busy Christmas tree reticles.
Just put rifle to shoulder look thru simple scope, pull trigger and collect game
Simple
Bob
Spot on Bob, I see people at the range with big powerful scopes on hunting rifles so they can see bullet holes with out a spotting scope at 100 meters +& try to hunt with the same scope only to screw up shots at game in the field.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,294
Messages
1,570,831
Members
169,029
Latest member
TorriTrott
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top