Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Gents,
Reading many of your good knowledgeable posts, it is hard to choose the scope (many of the scopes are so very good), so in order to choose the scope for rifle 375 H&H or up, I will make different question.

On magnum rifle in tropical caliber, have you ever experienced break down of your scope in the field?
And which one failed?

Gents,
Reading many of your good knowledgeable posts, it is hard to choose the scope (many of the scopes are so very good), so in order to choose the scope for rifle 375 H&H or up, I will make different question.

On magnum rifle in tropical caliber, have you ever experienced break down of your scope in the field?
And which one failed?

no failure on a Leupold VX6 mounted on my 416 or the Leupold VX3 mounted on my 375 H&H

Most "Quality" optics will serve one well on 375 and up. The weak link, many times, I believe, is related to mounting techniques (installation) and mounts themselves. I run rail mounted S&B Zeniths on my 375 and up...no problems.

My 375 RUM sports a Leupold LPS 2.5x 10 45mm
Great scope to bad Leupold discontinue it. My 416 Weatherby has a Trijicon 1x4 24mm. Also no problems

I had one Leupold scope fail 1.5 -5 1". Mounted on a M-70 Talley Rings and Bases. This was over 20yrs. ago. Switched to Swarovski & Kahles scopes.

I have experienced a Burris fail with just one shot.

That was years ago, I can´t say for the actual production.

I have either Leupold VX5 HD’s or Swavarski’s on all my rifles. I have never had any of them fail yet. I wont use anything but those.

I use nothing but leupolds but I don't own any big bores. I've had a "good" Bushnell die after a few 3 0.06 shots. And a tasco that lasted approximately 50 shots . They were both about 15 years ago though.

Had a Trijicon 4-16x50 mounted on my 375H&H that failed out of the box.
Sent it back to them and the parallax adjustment was found to be loose.
They made repairs (warranty) and sent back, but I lost faith.
Sold both of my Trijicon scopes and have switched to Swaro Z8i's.

I'm not sure if the company is popular in the United States but king optics were touted as being very tough being the there made in Nova Scotia several of the members of my range purchased them. Both failed one on a .338 laupua and one on a 338-378. Both had warranty problems despite the claims of lifetime warranty.

Something I can advise you Schmidt & Bender 1.5-6x42

That’s why Leupold has a lifetime guarantee and not a warranty. Its too late once you are there.Just ask anyone in the Military!

That’s why Leupold has a lifetime guarantee and not a warranty. Its too late once you are there.Just ask anyone in the Military!
Exactly...so make sure you have a backup plan if your scope fails on arrival.

Ours is having well adjusted iron sights out to 100 yards and practicing with them.
Using QD mounts it's easy to double check them when you get to camp.

Last edited:

Have two Leupold VX6HD 2-12’s, one a 300 win mag and one on a 9.3x62 (close to the 375 H&H). QD mounts on both. Take them off, put them back on, hold zero every time. Things are built very well and doubt they ever give me any issues. Have the VX6HD 1-6 on my AR10 338 Federal...same story. Great scopes. Swarovski Z8i rail mount on my next rifle, Blaser R8 375 H&H, though wouldn’t hesitate to put another VX6HD Leupold on it. Got the VXHD 1-8 on sale for $899, damn nice scope for that kind of money and if I can get another at that price it may end up on the Blaser instead of the Swarovski, time will tell.

Have two Leupold VX6HD 2-12’s, one a 300 win mag and one on a 9.3x62 (close to the 375 H&H). QD mounts on both. Take them off, put them back on, hold zero every time. Things are built very well and doubt they ever give me any issues. Have the VX6HD 1-6 on my AR10 338 Federal...same story. Great scopes. Swarovski Z8i rail mount on my next rifle, Blaser R8 375 H&H, though wouldn’t hesitate to put another VX6HD Leupold on it. Got the VXHD 1-8 on sale for $899, damn nice scope for that kind of money and if I can get another at that price it may end up on the Blaser instead of the Swarovski, time will tell.
We chose the Swaro Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 for the 375H&H and are very happy with it.
The 1-8x24 got tapped for working with the 416RM.
The 4A-IF reticle (on both) is really nice and rail mount was very easy to set up.

That's a good deal on the Leupold scope.

I have never had an issue with a Swarovski Z series, Leica ER or Magnus, Zeiss Victory, or S&B. I have had three Leupolds have issues - fortunately, never on a hunt.

As mentioned above, mounts can be a more common culprit.

We chose the Swaro Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 for the 375H&H and are very happy with it.
The 1-8x24 got tapped for working with the 416RM.
The 4A-IF reticle (on both) is really nice and rail mount was very easy to set up.

That's a good deal on the Leupold scope.

The 1.7-13 Swarovski is the one I’m looking at for the Blaser R8 375 H&H. Think that’s a very good choice as that Caliber lends itself to both close and longer shots as does that scope. If I go with the 300 win mag for a second barrel, I’d probably go with the 2.3-18 for that. Both with Contessa QD mounts.

Have to say the Leupold VX6HD, both variants I’ve purchased, have exceeded my expectations. Not V8 glass but I’d put it up against the 5 or 6 series Swarvo glass. Our pals at EuroOptics did me right on the price for the 1-6 when it was on sale. B&H Photo on the 2-12’s at a little over a grand a piece...got the last two they had :)

I have never had an issue with a Swarovski Z series, Leica ER or Magnus, Zeiss Victory, or S&B. I have had three Leupolds have issues - fortunately, never on a hunt.

As mentioned above, mounts can be a more common culprit.

Ran over a Leupold with my truck, still worked....was flabbergasted it wasn’t trashed because the rifle it was mounted on sure was ;)

Gents,

And which one failed?
Hey man 378 weatherby 460 weatherby smoked 3 leopoldss a Burris and a zeiss . Then I found Nightforce BADASS . You can check it on TAC with Len Taylor 21 days of full bag 2 buff a leopard on the show also 7 impala 1 ele a HIPPO AND lion we walked at least 130 miles tracking rough going and 3 other trips to Namibia with the same Nightforce never had to change my zero off the plane.. Nightforce kicks asss.those calibers will find the weak link. DANDE north. I might also say len and CMS are as good as it gets . SR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg