Scope choice for a Ruger #1

Andrews

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I picked up a Boddington edition Ruger #1 about 6 months ago chambered in 7x57. I've been getting used to the rifle by using irons and shooting out to 100 yards. I am wanting to scope it now though and need some advice for a scope. With the somewhat more forward mounts of the #1, what scope do yall recommend? Wanting no more than 8 or 9 maximum and the lighter weight the better. Thanks

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 12.08.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 12.08.01 PM.png
    576.2 KB · Views: 173

Tango

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Czech Republic
I have that same rifle. One of my favorites. Incredibly effective with 175gr Partitions. This is a Leupold 1.5-5 in Leupold Low Matte rings. Like my scopes mounted low. I swapped the fixed rear Boddington sight for a standard folding No 1 sight. Perfect eye relief and no need for extension rings. 5x has proven to be plenty of magnification for my hunting out to 250 yards. Just returned from a hunt in So Africa with this rifle. What a pleasure to carry.

zzhD3GOrRyK4GxSEzkZ16g.jpg

Art Lambart II

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
Without knowing what you plan on doing with the rifle or how well is shoots is hard to pass on good advice. Personally I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a scope for a rifle that wouldn't shoot a minute of angle, now if it puts three shoots thru one hole at 100 yards it's time to talk serious glass.

Bhfs300

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA Canada South Africa New Zealand
A08ABF27-294D-4FCF-AF44-F1EB3FD38534.jpeg
Doesn’t sound like this is your scope but the reason I am posting is so you can see the rings that Ruger makes that set any scope back for you.

meigsbucks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe and Namibia
I think you have the power range about right but it depends what you plan on using it for. Based on the attributes of the round, a 2.5-8X Leupold would probably be my first choice, but a 1-6X Swarovski or Zeiss would be a heck of a combo if you wanted top end glass.

Andrews

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Thanks for the advice everyone, I've been learning towards the Leupold 1.5x5. I envision the rifle as being mostly just a spot and stalk whitetail setup. I had a VX3i 3.5-10x40 laying around I threw on just to see how it felt and I have to creep up the stock to get a good sight picture. It may be the detachable Talley rings that came with the rifle though. They seem a bit taller than I like.

Tango

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Czech Republic
Agreed. I found the Talley’s to be too high and force an awkward check weld. I have 2 No 1s with Leupold 1.5-5s and they both shoot MoA out to any reasonable hunting range. The scopes have proven to be 100% reliable despite numerous flights. The low Leupold rings and folding rear sight are the ticket. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tieane

Latest profile posts

trstallone wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
I've Hunted So.Africa, love to try Romania
Clifford Johnson wrote on Mark A Ouellette's profile.
Mark, How did your hunt go with Wayne in Zimbabwe?
Cliff
Spartan2473 wrote on tnshooter's profile.
Hey buddy,
Have a great hunt in West TN. Looking forward to planning this next safari with you.

we’ll talk soon!
Hello thanks for acceptance to the group, I live on baffin island. Anyone ever hunt in the Arctic?