Savage Model 24 Combination Rifle

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
so I found a Savage model 24 chambered in 30-30 and 20 gauge and I was thinking it would make a handy deer and pheasant rifle (I see a lot of pheasant during deer season).

the rifle is ugly to say the least but if its reliable and reasonably accurate then it would be a practical gun for hunting eastern WA.

any one have any experience with these? how is the regulation between barrels?

thanks
-Matt

Does the Savage look something like this?

Attachments

• P1000823.jpg
    P1000823.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 379
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting looking beast

I have one in 22 hornet over 3" 12ga. Use it for grouse and ptarmigan and love it. It's heavy and kinda ugly so it fits right in:)

The first firearm I ever purchased, a Savage model 24 in .22 rimfire and 20ga. Still have it. The best of both worlds in one gun. My cousin had one in 22Mag and 410: his shotgun was too little and his rifle cartridges too expensive. Mine was great, But a 30-30 sounds useful too. It may not be quite up to H&H Best Quality standards, but it should serve you well..................FWB

Does the Savage look something like this?

yep that's it, except I think yours looks a little nicer. the stock on this one is rather ugly cheap wood and poor looking color case hardening.

the guy wants around $500 for the gun which seems like a good price.

-matt

$500 isn't bad, especially in the 30/30 combo. I was looking at these yesterday on an online auction site, $400 is "average" but shipping and transfer, etc,

also I have shot quite a few and worked on a few.

Regulation between barrels, well, one's a rifle and one's a shotgun, one's sighted for 100 and the other's probably good to 30 MAX.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, get the rifle sighted in then pop a few paper targets and see how she patterns.

A friend had one with a 3-9 on it (22/410) that thing was deadly squirrel medicine!

I killed many rabbits and squirrels with my older brothers 410 22lr.A friend of mine found one just like it which now belongs to my son.

I think a 30 30 in a 24 is not very common,I would buy it in a heartbeat if it is in decent condition.

Some people don't like the looks of them but they certainly fill a need.I don't mind the way they look in wood but my gosh,the new plastic stock ones are hedious.

$500 isn't bad, especially in the 30/30 combo. I was looking at these yesterday on an online auction site, $400 is "average" but shipping and transfer, etc,

mind telling me where you saw those at $400? the deal at $500 was also online.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88ak

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,