Sand Type for Range Backstop

Well range back stop construction project is on for this weekend, I have a couple of buddies roped in. First step is the rail road ties, I picked up 48 ties at a local Menards at $19.99 each - 11% rebate. 48 was a good number as they were banded in stacks of 16 units, so 3 stacks and a bunch of 1/2" diameter rebar to pin them together, to ensure they don't slip or move over time.

Not sure of the weight but the internet thinks somewhere around 180-200lbs per tie, that's potentially 9600 lbs of load on a 14K gross rated trailer behind a 3500 diesel, I'm sure it won't be giving me the best MPG on this trip!

Will post a few more photos of construction.

RailTies.jpg

Topsoil

The first photo is from a few years ago. My berm has grown since then with more sandbags on top and with additional topsoil wings and sandbags. It also is covered with so much vegetation that I have to chop down around the target for safety. The roots of the weeds reinforce the soil.

The second photo is of my 100 yard setup using a standing bench and Labradar.
When shooting I keep the muzzle pointed at the berm.
When practicing rapid fire I am at 25 yards so that to shoot over the berm would require a steep angle for the rifle.

View attachment 470151View attachment 470152
Nice when are we invited to a big bore shoot off.ill bring the steaks and beer.

Kinda hard to see this is the Williston fla shooters club range I belong to.it was built to sight in the 25s for the dolittle raid and others(although I thought they were unarmed)it is made out of huge timbers lining it with a of concrete roof covered by looks like 6 ft of sand
U shoot into sand local sugar sand but the ceiling keeps it dry not sure we have ever added to it but it's easy lead retrieval
35519803_2046747552208569_3448773865839263744_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamisonNes

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you