Sako 85 - Discontinued?

This should make my Brown Bear 416 Rigby gain even more in value. As I doubt very seriously that Sako will make an XL action based on the model 90 platform.

Nice! Would love to see a photo. Also other than the stock, are there any big differences between the brown bear and the safari deluxe?
I really have to put them side by side and compare. Haven't done that yet.
Krish
20230510_191419.jpg

I really have to put them side by side and compare. Haven't done that yet.
KrishView attachment 533157
From what I can see, the stock is walnut, instead of laminated. Traditional deep bluing instead of bead blasted. Quarter rib instead of regular iron sights . Also, I believe these rifles have 24" barrels instead of the 22" barrel of the Brown Bear. Does that sound about right?

Screenshot_20230510_202543_Gallery.jpg

From what I can see, the stock is walnut, instead of laminated. Traditional deep bluing instead of bead blasted. Quarter rib instead of regular iron sights . Also, I believe these rifles have 24" barrels instead of the 22" barrel of the Brown Bear. Does that sound about right?
Their scope mounting seem to be different. I really need take time to look. Need to pull them out of walt. Try to do it this week end and post them side by side.
Krish.

Their scope mounting seem to be different. I really need take time to look. Need to pull them out of walt. Try to do it this week end and post them side by side.
Krish.
The 85 definitely has different scope mounts than the new model 90. But your Deluxe rifles and my 416 Brown Bear have the exact same scope mount dovetails on the receiver. Same as all past Sako rifles with these style dovetails.

Question for those that remember back when the Sako 85 first rolled out.

We're all the models that were available (as of 2022) available at launch or were they slowly released over the years?

Specifically were the XL receivers available and cartridges like 416 Rigby, 450 Rigby, 500 Jeffery etc. or did they come years later?

There may be some hope in more African-friendly rifles if they typically do a gradual roll out.

I think 450 was available from the launch. Can say for others.
Krish.

I see S90 is push feed!
What’s happened to the Bear series - gone by the looks
I didn’t see the 270 being available!
I have in Sako 85 S/S
22/250 270 and 338
I didn’t see a humble 22 LR - i have one
Sure glad I bought my Sakos years ago

.. back when the Sako 85 first rolled out.

We're all the models that were available (as of 2022) available at launch or were they slowly released over the years?

Specifically were the XL receivers available ...
New models were definitely added later.

I remember additions to the lightweight end of the spectrum, much like the Sako 90 Peak, and adjustable stocked versions like the 90 Quest.

Not 100% sure but I think the big action was a later addition too.

On another thread someone indicated that they had gotten sako to respond to a youtube post. They said something along the lines of 9.3x62 is coming, and they hope to be releasing XL actions as well.

Any predictions on what big bore offerings they will offer?

I'm kind of hoping they opt for .416 Ruger, need more rifles in that chambering.

.458 WM? Lott? 450Rigby and 500J again? Something new?

Any predictions on what big bore offerings they will offer?
As per quote from another site:
These new Sako rifles will be chambered in the following cartridges: .22-250 Remington, .243 Winchester, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 Remington, .308 Winchester, 6.5 PRC, 7mm Remington Magnum, 28 Nosler, .300 Winchester Magnum, .338 Winchester Magnum, and .375 Holland & Holland Magnum
End qoute

Other common calibers missing:
223 rem, 7x64, 270 win, 30-06, 8x57. 9.3x62, not even 458 win mag.
Interestingly, Sako cartridges 9.3x66 is not chambered in new rifle.

It is not very often that a brand launches a new rifle not available in 30-06.

My guess is they stick with .416 Rigby, .450 Rigby, and .500 Jeffery. I'd love to see a .375 Ruger
The only reason I'd say 416 Remington is they could use the same action size as the current 375 h&h. The XL actions were only ever available in the 85 model. All previous Sako rifles were never offered in that size. They made a 416 Remington in the model 75 and AV as well.

The only reason I'd say 416 Remington is they could use the same action size as the current 375 h&h. The XL actions were only ever available in the 85 model. All previous Sako rifles were never offered in that size. They made a 416 Remington in the model 75 and AV as well.
Ammo availability and cost also favours Remington vs the Rigby.

Wow - no .223, .270 or 30/06. I guess they don't want to sell many rifles in the US.
On there website they say they will be making 270 and 30/06 and they will be making 4 action length so 223 will be coming

Yep…and I think they released the 416 Rem years after they had already been making the 75 in .375 H&H. I’m holding out hope we’ll get some medium/large bores and maybe a new set of bear rifles in the 90. If nothing else, hopefully they’ll put out something that mirrors the aesthetics of the grizzly (fluted barrel, barrel band, walnut stock, iron sights). I’m kicking myself for not buying one when you could still find them.

I’d love a 90 grizzly in a .375 or .416 Ruger, but that’s probably not happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!